Left turn signal light inoperable

salwolfe

I recently got my M21 back from the factory after having had the rear cap replaced due to a manufacturing defect. I hooked the Edge up and prior to leaving the dealer lot tested all lights; the left turn signal did not work. The dealer told me my truck connector was the problem. I had my truck electrical connector tested at both Dodge and a different trailer dealer; both say my truck connector is fine.

Before I drive another 100 miles to my Edge dealer to take it back in, is there a way to take the turn signal/lights cover off and replace a lamp/bulb to see if the problem is simply a burned out bulb? May be the elec. lines weren't hooked back up right when the new end cap was put on, but this could save me lots of time and trouble. Looks like there are small tension clips on the top and bottom of the red plastic lens, but I don't want to jack with this if we're looking at a whole light assemble swap out rather than just a bulb (it is new led technology) and this won't get me anywhere. Whole assemblyies are normally pretty pricey and may not be the solution anyway.

Thanks a lot,
Steve

2010 M21 2009 Dodge RAM 1500 Hemi crew cab

Last edited:

davebennington

We had the same problem happen to our truck/trailer. The left turn signal and brake light would not work, I worked on this and tried everything I knew how to do with no positive results, finally I ran a wire to the light just to see if it would light, It did problem was in the truck. Dodge has a separate computer controlled circuit that handles the trailer the dealer had to replace a module and everything works fine now. Computer controlled things are nice but sometimes I like the old way best.

Dave

salwolfe

thanks, Dave. Yeah, I knew about the separate circuit board on the Dodge, and that's actually a net benefit device. But, I'm definitely getting "juice" into the connector that feeds the left turn signal/brake light to the trailer. Sounds like a good idea to run the separate line directly to the light to bypass the trailer wiring, but that's probably a bit over my head.

Steve
2010 M21 2009 Dodge RAM 1500 Hemi crew cab

porthole

Retired
Look at the attached file.

And if you if keep a flasher handy you can plug it in the #3-#4 spot and have a emergency flashers for your trailer if you ever have to leave it on the road.

Attachments

• Trailer wiring.pdf
    15.3 KB · Views: 28