Taking the Plunge with 2 Beagles

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi everyone,
After leaving our 2 beautiful 4 year old beagles at home last summer when we went on a 51 day trip, and coming home to both dogs ignoring us for a month or 2 and dog droppings everywhere as they expressed their displeasure of us being gone, we have decided to take the plunge and try to bring them with us.

My questions are how should we set up the back seat of our dual cab Ford super duty for the dogs including products to keep them strapped in, or in some kind of open comfortable cage. They deserve to see the country too.

Second, what fence and cost and where to buy for their play yard?

Third, what product do use for them to sleep in. I could see them sleeping together as they are 2 females that love each other. Our biggest challenge will to never let them on our bed ever as they sleep with us at home. On trips I want a clear path to the DW if you know what I mean LOL.

And we are going to get the citronella collars for their barking. No way would Debbi let me shock them to keep them quiet.

Any other products, ideas or places to buy other than Petsmart (what's best there?), or PetCo same question.

Open to all suggestions, have at it.

Hogladyrider

Great Decision

Congrats on your decision to bring your dogs along with you on your travels.

We travel with two dogs as well, Honda (55 lbs) and Diesel (120 lbs) and BOTH love camping and being with us in the RV. I carry a copy of their vaccination records with me at all times in case anyone asks as most places state in the rules it is a requirement.

We started with weekend ventures and we spent lots of time with them, lots of walks in the campground which they loved and when we were sitting outside they were tied outside with us. After a few weekends they were acclimated and we could go off for several hours and leave them with no problems.

Our RV has two recliners and a sleep sofa, I put a quilt cover over the sleep sofa and both our dogs sit up on the sleep sofa to look out the window while we enjoy the recliners.

I know I can see you shaking your head now, they are SPOILED, but they are part of our family.

I am afraid I can't answer many of your questions because one of our dogs does sleep in the bed with us, the BIG one while the other sleeps on the floor on her own bed.

As for the back of the truck, I use a fitted bed sheet to cover and protect our back seat from all the dog hair etc. Our dogs travel well and usually just lie down and nap while we are on the road.

We have long ropes that we tie our dogs with at our campsite, we loop it around the leg of the picnic table that is supplied and we are outside with our dogs at all times.

Your beagles will love traveling with you! Best of luck.
Susan

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Larry, Go to petedge.com they have everything you need. We travel with 3 Welsh Springers as far as the truck they are in the back seat all they do is sleep. I have a ex-pin to set up out side so they can play. They come in 3 sizes and if you want it bigger you can buy extra panels. My babies sleep in their kennels at night and when we are gone this way i know they are safe.I hope this helps Kathy:)

goodtruck

Glad to see you are going to take your kids with you.We travle with our 4 Chi's petco has wire pens that we got and put 4 of them toghter that gives them lots of room to play.petsmart hads a pet hammoc that hangs on the headrest of the front and back seats then we put there beds on it so they have there own little safe area.As far as barking we use a squrt gun with water it took a while but it works

Rmcgrath53

We take our dog . He is a 95lb yellow lab. He lays down on the floor in the back in our crew cab. He is a great dog,but when we get to a new camp he just barks his foool head off until I show him the "Muzzle".

Attachments

• First pictures 001.jpg
    First pictures 001.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 14

Uncle Rog

Dresslers........

Howdy Larry, I have been using Dresslers for my hunting dog supplies for years. To give you an example, kennels are usually 10-20% less, Nemex wormer was $60, they sell the same product, labeled for humans for $18, and it is 10x as strong! They sell a wire folding kennel that is about 6' across that stores and goes up easily.

http://www.dresslersdog.com/

http://www.dresslersdog.com/travel.html

http://www.dresslersdog.com/dog-cages-exercisepens.html

Their catalog even has more options, you can spend as much as you like!

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Larry,
hopefully you're bringing them to Oroville. They can play with my senile Cocker Spaniel. He loves friends!
In our Ford, the back seat flips up and there is a metal folding floor. We put down a rug with non-skid backing and his truck bed there. He's down low that way and he usually just sleeps until we're stopped. Ray had to rig a net for between the front and back, due to him jumping over into the front and sitting on the brake pedal when we leave him alone in the truck. He made it out of a light duty cargo net and some extra long bungees with big hooks on the end. Two D-ring clips under the floor mats and the big bungee at the top hooks onto the hand grabs above the back doors. The whole thing folds under the back floor mats when we're not using it.
Because we have about 5 pet beds in various locations, we've found Big Lots usually has a good selection for not much money. We don't use a pen, but have a long, cable type leash for when we're outside.
Your dogs will get used to it quickly I think. Ours runs out and gets in the trailer and won't get out if he thinks we're going anywhere. He's a house dog, and the BH is just his other house.

Paul & Nan

We camp and travel with a 95# and a 12# dog. The old, "Big Boy"(12yrs old), takes most of the back seat of the truck and sleeps all the way, wherever we go. The pup is hooked to the seatbelt with a strap we got at Petsmart. It is like a very short leash that the seatbelt buckle goes thru, that is hooked to his harness. He can sit, stand, lie down, just not go off the seat.

We have a pet playpen for him, I made a cover from fiberglass screenwire.These are available online, petstores, WalMart. There are ready made covers, they are costly. The cover is needed as we did not buy the 36" pen and he goes over the top. The cover also gives some filtering to the sun. Our old dog is good with some sort of tie out.

The pup sleeps in his crate, which has been his nite-nite, since we got him. He is not "allowed" on the furniture or bed, unless invited to curl up when we are sitting. "However" unless the baby gate is up on the steps to the bedroom he is on the bed, and he loves the back of the sofa so he can look out. Those things get him a light spanking and timeout in his crate. Think he is winning most of the time though. The pup is a 16 month Bichon, who is totally spoiled. Nan

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Hi Larry,

Here is where we get our dog stuff online. The X-Pens from SitStay cost much less than a lot of places. They also have a great selection of dog beds and healthy dog treats.

JB Pet Supplies is another good place to shop around.

We have a rubber backed mat to keep their water dish on so it doesn't get the floor of the trailer wet. We also have separate inside and outside food and water dishes so we aren't always needing them where we aren't. We have a total of three X-Pens which when all hooked together can make a yard big enough to set up next to the trailer and have it cover the whole area from the slide to the front and go out far enough for us to sit in it with them. We usually only set up two pens though. What you saw at Winchester last year was two set up together.

The doxie sleeps with us, but we have to be careful about her jumping out because the bed is so high. Lucy sleeps on her bed in the closet. There is a section of the closet that is like a little cave under where the cabinets are next to the closet. She likes to get in there. Otherwise she'll go out and sleep in one of the chairs or on the couch. If we aren't careful she will get from the couch onto the kitchen table to look out the window!

We look forward to meeting the four footed members of your family.

Kristy

SilverRhino

Larry;

Don't think I mentioned this when we spoke on the phone...It is a real good idea to always keep copies of your dogs vaccination records and any other special issue medical records with you when you travel. ( Microchip #'s etc. ) I just keep copies in the glove box of the truck along with my insurance papers.

Good Luck!

Randy

Last edited:

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Well folks, the beagle trip planning has begun. I was lucky to find 2 harnesses at PetSmart for the back seat for Stella and Lucy. I know I still need a plastic cover for accidents and dog hair. I was also able to buy a bed cage for both to sleep together in our rig. Debbi will have a good time making their bed homey as they will not be allowed in the bedroom, (hopefully) I will be removing one of the recliners and that will be where they will be sleeping. They had a nice play yard as well, that folds up well, so we have the main essentials. I also went on Amazon and paid a third the price of PetSmart for 2 citronella dog anti-bark collars. While filling one of the collars with citronella I coughed, and yes, sprayed myself with a good dose. I could swear both dogs were smiling enjoying the sight of Pops getting hit the way they will, if they get a little too excited. Got the vaccination papers and the micro chip papers, and now we are riding around San Clemente in the mini van, trying some trial runs. That's the latest on the saga of Stella and Lucy.

SilverRhino

Good Luck!

Larry;

Sounds like you are all set to go.....only thing left is to just have fun with them!

The good thing about Beagles is that fortunately they are as smart as theory are stubborn....the other thing I have found out through the years is that they will always let you know if you are doing something wrong!

Have fun & keep us posted.

Randy

P.S. Congrats on the "new" hitch....I am very green with envy!

Travel Safe!

mikeyy53

When we purchased our 2011 Silverado CC, our salesperson has 2 fur kids (I forgot what kind). She told us that she purchased a waterproof seatcover from the pet store. Before she puts the seatcover on she lays down the temporary carpet protector(purchase from Lowes or Home depot),it's the stuff that is put in RV's so the carpeting doesn't get messed up at RV shows, on the rear seat and floor than the seatcover over that.She says it works great! When it starts to get dirty or smells she replaces it. Her one dog won't come in the truck until he has a romp in the lake. We're going to give that a try. Our first trip with the BC and the new truck is May 20th. We had a 3 seat SUV and a 2010 EDGE, with the CC the 2 fur kids are going to have to work it out who get s the back seat and who gets the floor. Had to purchase a 2009 BC because the fur kids didn't have enough room and they let us know it!

bluebirdsnfur

Having shown dogs in the past, I am a big advocate of ex-pens (play pens for dogs)... and crates. My little guys are older but still crated at night. I think using a ex-pen outside is the way to go for your two beagle girls. I too will have to get a smaller -actually shorter- one for my girls.

I always carry a supply of baby wipes to wipe dirty paws when neccessary and a box of baggies for poop patrol.;)

I recently bought a tall doggie car seat for my girls to ride in in the back seat of our truck. They wear a harness and are buckled in yet sit up high so they can look out.

We are new to RVing so haven't had the girls in the BC yet.