Auxilary fuel tank?

RSIG

I have a GMC 3500 D/A with the standard 34 gal. tank. Is there any benefit to adding a RDS 51 gal. auxilary tank in the bed? I plan on several long trips in the next couple of years.

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Any benefit? How about not having to drag your rig through the fueling station as much. I only drive two days, then layover for a while. I find it a lot easier to fuel up without that monster behind me. I have a 60 gal. RDS.

Peace
Dave

Delaine and Lindy

Extra Fuel......

I have never had the OEM tanks replaced. But I have had a 98 Gal in-bed fuel tank on a Chevy 4500 and loved the additional storage and didn't have to stop for fuel that often. The big advantage was I could shop for the cheapest fuel. The Truck I have now has twin 80 gallon tanks. I do recomend having extra capactity. GBY......

caissiel

I only have a 6" deep tank on the front behind my toolbox,
It holds 20Gal., and with only that I feel much better traveling with the trailer.
It just a drop down tank, very simple, but it works.

beardedone

Beardedone
I have a 160 liter aux. tank on my Dodge. I like the option of being able to wait to fuel up at a busy truck stop where I don't have to worry about water. For $70.00 I built an extra water/separator and 2 micron filter combo between the two tanks. Why? All the truck builders are using any excuse to avoid warranty claims. If you get water in your fuel you can wreck the injectors which are thousands of dollars to replace. With my extra filters I can check for water sooner, especially at suspect stations, and fix the problem if necessary. I don't think I am over the top and I know a lot of guys are doing this now.

smday

In my 2500 i had a 40 gallon Aux tank. I do miss it. Now with a taller trailer i have to make sure i have enough fuel to find the right fuel station that doesn't have a low canopy. I will be adding something soon. Thinking of the Titan 62 gallon OEM replacement. Any thoughts on those.

tmcran

I replaced the OEM with a 52 Gal. Titan tank. I like it as I don't have anything in the bed and the extra mileage is great. I hated having to fill up about every 200 miles. The 26 Gal. OEM tank is to small on a Dmax.

jwb187

I have a GMC 2500 duramax with a 26 gal original equipment fuel tank....I soon found out that I was having to refuel every 200 miles or so and that was unsatisfactory. I purchased a RDS 60 gallon auxillary tank for the bed and have been pleased ever since. I rarely drive over 500 miles per day and it's much easier to fuel after you have unhooked from the RV. I rarely fill my aux tank to the full mark due to weight issues but usually put in 40 gal which give me 66 gallons at the start of the driving day. That will usually get me 600 miles easily without having to fill up and mess with the jockeying at the pumps pulling a 35 foot fifth wheel. Just my opinion, I'm sure there are many others....jwb.

Hamshog

I have a GMC 2500 duramax with a 26 gal original equipment fuel tank....I soon found out that I was having to refuel every 200 miles or so and that was unsatisfactory. I purchased a RDS 60 gallon auxillary tank for the bed and have been pleased ever since. I rarely drive over 500 miles per day and it's much easier to fuel after you have unhooked from the RV. I rarely fill my aux tank to the full mark due to weight issues but usually put in 40 gal which give me 66 gallons at the start of the driving day. That will usually get me 600 miles easily without having to fill up and mess with the jockeying at the pumps pulling a 35 foot fifth wheel. Just my opinion, I'm sure there are many others....jwb.

Hey Jwb187,

Not to hijack the thread, but I see you've got some toys and a regular 5er. Are you towing doubles, using a swivelwheel platform, or not taking your toys with you???

Regards, Hamshog

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I did investigate the Titan tank. nice set-up, but as others have stated a bit pricey. The RDS is not exactly cheap either. The one thing I thought of if I were to have purchased the Titan, is that all the extra weight is on the drivers side. With only the OEM tank I am around 200 pounds heavy on that side. Diesel fuel weighs about 7.3 pounds per gallon. If I added another 26 gallons of fuel I would be nearly 400 pounds heavy there. With the RDS my extra weight is equal on both sides. Just something to think about.

Peace
Dave

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I did investigate the Titan tank. nice set-up, but as others have stated a bit pricey. The RDS is not exactly cheap either. The one thing I thought of if I were to have purchased the Titan, is that all the extra weight is on the drivers side. With only the OEM tank I am around 200 pounds heavy on that side. Diesel fuel weighs about 7.3 pounds per gallon. If I added another 26 gallons of fuel I would be nearly 400 pounds heavy there. With the RDS my extra weight is equal on both sides. Just something to think about.

Peace
Dave

I would also agree with Dave. I think you will also be pushing the limits on the 245 size tires (when hitched up ) , that was another reason I installed one size higher to 265's for a higher weight margin , when I needed to replace them.

I have the 40 Gallon RDS toolbox / tank and well pleased with the investment and convenience.....Kenny

tmcran

Peace
Dave

I thought of that also and talked to a number of guys that have the Titan and none have had any issues with more weight on the driver side. I measured mine on both sides from the ground up to the frame before and after install. I was a quater inch lower on the right side before and a quater inch lower on the right side after with about 50 gals . :confused: From what I know now after a year I would do it again. I have to use the bed often for hauling and can't give up the bed space for a bed installed tank.

caokgafamily

I installed a 60 gal fuel tool combo about 3 years ago. We have been on 2 cross country trips, its a life saver !!! I would not own a tow vehicle with out one!! Its nice to drive for 2 days not looking for fuel.
Steve

porthole

Retired
You would be hard pressed to know I had a 52 gallon tank in my truck if I didn't point it out to you - or you were real familiar with the vehicle.

The tank is literally 2" from the driveshaft, so it is fairly close to center.

I frequently fuel up when I need 40 or more gallons and I don't even notice a difference when getting back in the truck.

tmcran

You would be hard pressed to know I had a 52 gallon tank in my truck if I didn't point it out to you - or you were real familiar with the vehicle.

The tank is literally 2" from the driveshaft, so it is fairly close to center.

I frequently fuel up when I need 40 or more gallons and I don't even notice a difference when getting back in the truck.

Same on mine. I went out and checked. My Titan is almost in the center also.