Poor Quality Control etc.

bigbird272

I replied to the post on delamination but wanted to post this here as well and get others opinions. I am presently dealing on a new 2009 3580 Big Horn. We like the trailer a lot. I have given a deposit and was supposed to take delivery in 10 days. I got a good deal but still a lot of money. I have to finance it over a number of years. I am very concerned that I am making a mistake? I have read a number of posts from people who have had water leaks due to shoddy workmanship at the factory. This should not happen. Can they not tighten water lines at the factory to prevent this?

Today I read about and saw pictures of slide out floors that have delaminated. Heartland offers no structural warranty. Why is this? Is it because they would not be able to keep up with repairs?

I have given the dealership a $2,000 deposit. I am going in there tomorrow to try and get my deposit back, and cancel the deal. It is just not worth taking a chance from what I have read on this forum.

Rick

azbound

I think you need to rethink buying any RV, no one makes a perfect RV. Now with that said, if you are bound and determined to buy an RV you will not find a better company to work with when and if you have an issue.

I have always said "if man built it it can't and won't be perfect" the real test is the support after the sale. Find a good dealer and a great company, like Heartland, and buy the RV you want.

bigbird272

I know what you mean. You live in a dry climate where as I live in a very wet part of the world here in B. C. I presently full time in a 32.5 Okanagan 5th wheel which was made in B. C. They have gone out of business unfortunately. I have been full timing in two different trailers for 8 years. None of them had the floor rotting like what I have read here. Perhaps I am over reacting. I will have a real good look at the trailer tomorrow as it has sat outside for the better part of a year on the lot. I should be able to see any signs of delaminating on the slide floors. I will let you know what I find. Thanks for the response.

Rick

jimtoo

I think what your talking about is a very rare issue. Take a good look and let us know what you find.

Why did the manufacture of the trailer you have now go out of business?

Jim M

bigbird272

I guess they went out of business due to the usual. Poor sales etc. due to the economy. I am concerned with the fact that Heartland does not have a structural warranty of say 3 to 5 years that would cover delamination. We are going to the dealers today and I will let you know the results.

Rick

Bobby A

We have a 2010 3580 and love the trailer and floorplan, like all new trailer we have had some issues, but Heartland has gone beyond expectations to correct those issues. Trust me, Heartland really wants a happy customer, and there customer service is second to none !! This forum helped me make my decision to buy Heartland and we are glad we did. Hope you will join the Heartland family.

Last edited:

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Not to worry

I purchased a 2009 3580RL Bighorn and absolutely love it!! I also purchased a $375,000.00 custom home years ago. Funny thing is both developed some type of water problem, and both were repaired. In other words nothing is built that never has an issue. The leaks I had were #1 the threaded nut on a water line under the sink came loose and water leaked onto the floor, problem solved by tightening it again. #2 was when I opened the basement I noticed water standing and this was due to an elbow that was on a bypass valve had been crossthreaded and leaked, problem solved by replacement of the elbow. We have friends that own Arctic Fox and Hitchhikers and all have had some type of problems. Don't let this influence your purchase. Remember that owning a home or an RV is nothing more than a constant battle with mother nature to keep her from taking it back. You will never regret the purchase of a 3580RL Bighorn...........I promise!!!!!:D

bigbird272

OK I will hold you to this promise lol. 3 hours to go and we will be heading for the dealers. I will have a real good look under slides etc. and will let everyone know what if anything I found. It has been sitting on the lot for the better part of a year in a climate that is very wet. Good indicator of leaks inside. None were found and we get pounded with rain here. My only concern is this slide delamination problem. I will inspect it closely.

DMitch

I own a 2010 3580 and have great luck with it. That said, anything can happen. I have found that if you take a few minutes every so often and check water connections I think you can possibly may save yourself some headaches.

Remember, you are running a 13,000 lb. home over bumpy roads etc. It's not quite like your plumbing at home that sits still all the time doing its job. On occassion you'll even have a plumbing leak at home. Just makes sense to expect to do some preventitive main. every so often.

Best of luck with the selection of RV.

SilverRhino

Nothing is ever perfect. It will not matter what brand you buy...there will always be some type of issues.

Keep in mind that for everyone on this forum that is having a problem...there are probably hundreds that have not dealt with that issue.

If you look through the historic posts, I think you will find that HL has done more than other companies to resolve issues. You will even find references to other brands forums that help support this.

Look everything over carefully, then make your decision based on your needs and situation.

Good Luck!

caissiel

I worked a home building material supply store 2 years ago. They were selling all products, but the one that caught my eye was the steel doors. We had customers coming to me with warranty problems everyday, about their no maintenace door units rotting. I had to ask them who painted the doors, if they said they did, like most owners did, I had to say the company 5 year warranty was void.
The roofing material was also warrantied for 25 to 35 years, most contractors here install the roofing shingles here without underlayment, so I had to inform my customers to do as the instructions said, in order for their roof to last.
So If our unit can last the way they last while we drive them at 70MPH all around the countries, I am sure we should expect problems.
I am Canadian and had a good Canadian made 95 model before this one, they are now going in bankerupsy protection, they just did not kept pace with time. I had my share of problem, but not as much as my friends did with their new models. Besides we could not afford a used model for the price we paid for this one.
The HL we now own is miles ahead of the previous Canadian made unit and I will make sure it will last the 15 years I plan on keeping it.

caokgafamily

I would buy a new Heartland in a heartbeat, Yes I've had some probs with my BH, the same similiar probs I had on my Cardinal and my Trail cruiser. I would love to buy a 2011 Landmark. My prob is I would then need a new tow vehicle. I need to pay off my home first. I am thinking about selling my clean 07 3400 RL, anybody interested?
Steve

atimdg

I purchased a 2010 Big Horn 3055 last August. Went on an extended trip and have had nothing but problems with water leaks in the plumbing in the storage space and water leaking in on the bedroom slide. I was wondering if anyone else has had plumbing problems or did I get a friday built unit.

tmcran

I purchased a 2010 Big Horn 3055 last August. Went on an extended trip and have had nothing but problems with water leaks in the plumbing in the storage space and water leaking in on the bedroom slide. I was wondering if anyone else has had plumbing problems or did I get a friday built unit.

Yep, Be sure to check all your connections and tighten them all. I had a problem with the water in the front slide. It was coming in from the bottom and was at the dealer 5-6 times before HL and the dealer got it fixed. There is a dam at each end that has to be in the correct position or it will leak. Hang in took us about 3 months to get all the bugs out.

Last edited:

caissiel

I once had the pump starting in the night. So I checked by the hot water tank and it was wet, I snugged all the screwed fitting and it never leaked after. Might have been a PDL requirement.

Check out Cottonwood RV in Chilliwack, thier aftersales service is the best They have the Big Country Line and we have had ours for a year and a Half,and we have over a 110 nights with it,with no problems,like the others have said in the previous threads, it is a good dealer and the service that counts the most, so many people, talk about the product, but never think about the after sales service the dealer provides, this is as important as the sale itself.

tilleyjs

I have a 2010 heartland cyclone 3612. I have had 2 issues. Water leaking from water heater and a "fantastic fan" making a lot of noise. Heartland makes a good product.

Ernest-T

We just bought a 2011 3185BH from Great Escapes RV Center in Gamaliel, AR. Dave, the owner, suggested we stay overnight to check things out.
It's a good thing we did because there was a leak in the toilet between the bowl and the base because one bolt was missing. Also there was a stain on the bedspread. They replaced the toilet and bedspread. So far that's the only issues we've had. They were great to deal with.:)

lghkmh

I don't find there customer service so great. I have a 2009 RL 3500 Big country with interior water damage and they wont fix it. I called them when the damage was discovered and I was one day out of warranty. The service rep said they would cover it because it happened while the unit was still under warranty. Well I took in to get repaired and they are refusing to cover it because I didn't take in the wk. i called them. The damage was done when I called them, this is BS. If this is there way of keeping return customers , good luck.

lghkmh