Flexguard, Where's the steel?

slaytop

Scott,
According to the BigHorn construction description on your website, the Flexguard is supposed to have steel bands buried in the plastic. I can't find any steel in my flexguards and both have broken off at the rigid ends.

Are you sure that this product was/is manufactured as described?

If not, what will Heartland do about it? The LIP sheet describing a fix for the Flexguard won't help at all if the product itself is faulty.

Thanks for your involvement in this issue.
Larry

Scott

Flexguard

When there is a problem with the flex guards, most often it is in the installation of either the steel where it attaches to the frame, or just when our guys attach it to the place on the frame where it attaches. There is a steel pin that is part of the flexguard system that is located on one end or the other (I don't think it's on both ends) - that is probably the steel that you are reading about, because the flex part itself is just plastic, I know that.
Lippert has been very good about fixing the repair on coaches that have problems with breaking their flexguards, and I know of only a couple of coachest that required more than the standard fix - because of the location of the steel welded to the frame needing to move a little.
You should be able to work through your dealer and Lippert - or call our customer service guys to get this done if you need it.

ST

slaytop

I will try once again.
On page 12 of the BigHorn construction booklet found on the Heartland website the Flexguard is described as "a rubber coated spring steel" product. That would mean to me that the steel bands are imbedded in the rubber or plastic throughout the length of the product. The pins and brackets you mentioned are part of the vehicle frame where the product is attached.

So, where is the steel that is supposed to be inside the Flexguard? Is there anyone at Heartland that has seriously looked at this independently from Lippert to study their product?
Larry

Scott

Have we looked at it "independently" from Lippert? Of course. And honestly, the flex-guard product on a whole is working very well out in the field. Like I said, the only time it doesn't seem to work like it was designed, is when Lippert welds the mounts in the wrong place, or Heartland attaches the mounts poorly. Flex-Guard was a popular product before Lippert purchased the company that makes it - very similar to power rear jacks.
Anyways, I'm sorry that the description of this product in an informative brochure has led you to think the product is constructed in a way different than it is. I will check into that and see if we need to change it. I just went out and physically picked up a flex guard and it is a nylon or hard plastic flexing part with a steel or aluminum pin embedded into part of it for rigidity.
ST

jcd8822

Joseph
How do we get to the LIP sheet? I am getting ready to have my flex guard replaced and want to take a copy of it with me just in case Southwest RV is not up to speed on this subject.

Joseph

jbeletti

Thanks Tom. I should have tried it first. Looks like Lippert has totally overhauled their website. I was able to find the LIP sheet (#028) and fix the link in post 28 above.

Jim