Converted Landing Gear to Hydraulic

jgallego

About three weeks ago after having new Michelin XPS ribs and some other warranty work done at Camping World in Katy. They did a great job. Once I was at my storage facility the landing gear quit working. Since I have ultra fab leveling system I was able to unhook. I contacted Heartland and they approved to have the landing gear repaired at a local rv shop. Once the repair technician checked it out he determined the shaft connected to the motor had split in two.

Instead of getting it repaired I had them install the HWH Power-Up Hydraulic Landing Gear. I picked it up this morning and it works great. It has a separate control for the right and left landing gear. No more pins to pull out and in. It is also about three times the speed as before. Makes the job real easy.

Jaime

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Jaime,
Where did you have the work done? If you don't mind, tell us of the cost of this upgrade.

jgallego

Jay,

I had it done at C&D Sales and Service in Pasadena, Texas (713) 534-6304. It ended up costing me about $2,800 total. I have an Onan Gold 5500 in the front bay and it had to be removed and reinstalled so this added to the cost. The Jacks and all the accessories including the hydraulic pump and outside control panel is about $2,000. the rest was labor.

The pump has a real nice manual overide in case of failure that you can turn like on a swivel then once in position attach a handle and pump it either up or down.

I am real pleased with this system way better than the electric landing gear.

Jaime

Dragoon

About three weeks ago after having new Michelin XPS ribs and some other warranty work done at Camping World in Katy. They did a great job. Once I was at my storage facility the landing gear quit working. Since I have ultra fab leveling system I was able to unhook. I contacted Heartland and they approved to have the landing gear repaired at a local rv shop. Once the repair technician checked it out he determined the shaft connected to the motor had split in two.

Instead of getting it repaired I had them install the HWH Power-Up Hydraulic Landing Gear. I picked it up this morning and it works great. It has a separate control for the right and left landing gear. No more pins to pull out and in. It is also about three times the speed as before. Makes the job real easy.

Jaime

Did they weld or bolt this system to your unit? Am considering this as a possible dyi project and wondered the procedure the shops are using. Just started looking into this for our unit. What is the lift range? Any details you can provide greatly appreciated. Pictures? Thanks..

jgallego

Did they weld or bolt this system to your unit? Am considering this as a possible dyi project and wondered the procedure the shops are using. Just started looking into this for our unit. What is the lift range? Any details you can provide greatly appreciated. Pictures? Thanks..

Not sure if they welded or bolted it in. I do know they had to weld some extra metal. Specs Below:

I had the hydraulic jacks installed at C&D RV Sales and Services in Pasadena, Texas. They replace your electric jacks. David at C&D can probably answer more of your questions. His phone number is (713) 534-3604. The jacks have separate controls so you can go up or down using the right or left control. They are a lot better than the electric jacks. Below are some of the specs from the HWH website.

Power-Up/Power-Down Jacks and Hydraulic Pump with Manual Extend and Retract
Power-Up/Power-Down Jacks are specifically engineered for .landing. specialty trailers and horse trailers. This jack can be used as landing gear or combined with rear jacks to make a complete leveling system. This system utilizes one or two straight-acting jacks with a 21. stroke and a lifting capacity of 8,000 pounds.

Hydraulic Pump with Manual Extend and Retract control valve assembly is equipped with a two stage hand pump which automatically shifts from high volume with low pressure to low volume with high pressure. This provides a rapid extend or retract of the
landing gear along with the capability to actually lift the trailer when the hand pump is used. The same controls used for standard operation of the landing gear are used for manual extend and retract with the hand pump. The hand pump can also be used to extend or retract any HWH® room mechanism.

If you have any other questions just e-mail.

Jaime