Additional Gauges

piach

I have a 2004 GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel and I am in the process of adding a better air intake and exhaust system as our new heartland is bigger and heavier than what I had before. I was curious as to what additional gauges I should add, such as exahust temp guage. The truck has the stock transmission gauge, is that ok or should I add another transmission gauge, boost gauge, etc. Any help, info and education would be great. Thanks :)

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
I added the auto meter boost and EGT gauges to our 2006 duramax. there is a neat pillar column that mounts on the windshield post. you can view all this at 4wheelparts.com or autometergauges.com. Welome to the heartland forum, best wishes, and may God Bless ya, Al & Dee Weaver

SilverRhino

When it comes to gauges its hard to have too many!

When I purchased my '01 Dodge I installed an A-Pillar three gauge pod and a single steering column pod. I use Isspro gauges and monitor...Turbo Boost, Exhaust Temp, Tranny Temp and Fuel Pressure.

You can save yourself a lot of headaches and money in the long run by knowing what is going on with your systems.

Good Luck & Travel Safe!

porthole

Retired
I added three to the left pillar, rear axle temp on the top, boost in the middle and exhaust temp on the bottom.

I added the exhaust temp prior to adding a Banks Tuner which came with a pyrometer that is viewed with a PDA. So I now have one digital temp and one analog, and they both read different.

The pillar gauge reads the left side exhaust in a BD manifold that I installed. The banks is installed in a hole drilled in the right manifold.

I don't know about the 2004 truck but the 2006 air intake form the factory has tested out to be better then any aftermarket kit. I found that out a little too late.

Rrloren

I use an Edge Insight with the Dash Mount Pod. It will read many parameters just plugged into the OBD port. You do have to drill the manifold for Egt's tho.

caissiel

I use the ScangaugeII and it reads every data the F250 can output, the EGT's needs it own gauge. It also will check and clear codes on every car, its my mechanics tool I use the scangauge often to help many of my camping friends that have their light on their vehicle. It can be transfered to any vehicles in minutes.
The ScangaugeII can be programed and adjusted for the fuelflow differential that programers create. My Max Energy unit throws off the fuel flow and MPG reading by up to 42%. So once calibrated it gives instaneous reaout everytime.
I use the torque % load to conserve fuel and wear on my truck engine. I shift by digital water temperature indicated on the Scangauge when I drive in hilly areas.
I will not tow the trailer without the ScanGauge connected. I never look at the dash gauges except for the Speedometer.
And with it, I can never hear the cooling fan come on, that robs energy from the engine. I just shift down when the water temperature reaches 206F. Keeps the EGT's low at the same time. I found that by doing that I never have to look at the EGT gauge. So to me the scangauge ($165.00) was the best investment.

PUG

Pug
You're trans temp is fine. I put a two pod left post guage kit from Dieselmanor.com. It has a prometer and boost which is all you need. The pyrometer is a must if you are chipping the motor otherwise you can and probably will burn it down. Keep your EGTs below 1200 degrees (for short durations) and on long pulls at or below 1050. Their guage kit includes absolutely everything you need with very good instructions. You can buy the drill and tap along with plastic paint to match the post mount.

beardedone

Beardedone
I use the Edge Insight in my 08 Dodge. I have been very happy with it. I like the wide variety of things it can monitor. I wouldn't drive a truck with these expensive motors without having gauges. Factory gauges are usually only good for telling you things too late.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
You can't have too many gauges. And I agree the OEM gauges provided are just about useless other then indicating vehicle speed and fuel level. Obvious, I had to add to the original gauges. EGT is the number one gauge needed for towing. So, I have one located pre turbo and one post turbo. Then the following are right there also like, tranny temp and rear axle temp along with engine oil temp and intake temp. Next, boost pressure, fuel pressure, and air (compressor for E brake) pressure. I have a fuel pressure sensor before and after the 2 micron filter. Also have coolant temp (digital) and rail pressure. Next on the list is drive pressure but I don't have any place to install it.

caissiel

I have an F250 6.0L and so far I never saw the EGT go at any danger level using the E-Con at level A.
On a 15 miles hill with the truck hauling at 2600 RPM the water temperature never went high enough to kick in the cooling fan clutch.
But I strongly recommend the EGT gauge because you never know when it could sneek up on you real fast.
I am not saying that the Automatic would give the same performance. therefore a transmission gauge would surely be needed.