Help I found an leak and some damage!

JaMan

I have a 07 Sundance 32.5 BH and on a recent trip after some heavy rains I found some water in the drivers side of the bunk house in the back corner. Upon returning home I climbed up on the roof for further inspection I found the rear top trim peeled up in the driver side rear corner about 5-6 inches. It's not very noticeable but I knew what area to look in and thats how I found it. Upon inspection of the corner I found the corner is soft to nearly gone in about a 6 inch square and the back wall moves in that area going down the wall a ways. The driverside wall seems solid but the corner area to back wall seems to have damage. Does any Rv insurance cover problems like this like a home owners insurance?

Having had an older Airstream before and never had any leak problems I am faced with a problem of what to do? I don't know where to start or whether to just leave it till it shows more damage? I did put silicone sealant over the area when I found it to stop any further damage but I am kinda upset that I have a 2.5 year old 5ver with rotting wood? I have not seen any sign of water before now, but I live here in Central Texas and we have been in a drought and havent had much rain in 1.5 years now so any suggestions? Money is a big consideration as we are a young family on a tight budget so if there is anything I can do myself I will. Where should I start and what should I do?

Thanks so much, Jared

smday

Up here in Alberta our house insurance would cover it. I would make a call to the broker and also take it to a couple of dealers and get an estimate. Easier to pay for a small deductable. Also try to be present when they check it over and ask questions on how they would fix it. If they scratch their heads find another dealer.

caissiel

well said smday:
I would do the same, it needs to be corrected early, I had an RV that leaked at a seam for 12 years, I would caulk the leak and it would come again. And I had to do the back wall over, it was not so bad though.

Rmcgrath53

Do you have pics? One thing is on the roof you should not use silicone but use a product called Dicor that is made for rubber roofs.