Towing with a 2006 Ford Expedition

We are looking at a Heartland 28RLS and question whether it is too much trailer to tow with our Expedition. The TV has the factory tow package. I'm a little hesitant about towing a 32 foot TT.

jnbhobe

A NT28RLS has a GVW of 6900 lbs. Your Expedition has to have a tow rating high enough to handle that and stay under the combination weight to be a safe setup. Look for a towing guide, from what I can see your between 6000 and 8000 lbs depending on your engine and gearing. JON

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Well hang on to the dashboard if it gets windy. We towed a 32' Prowler Lynx and a 30' Citation with an Expedition. It took one long trip in the wind :eek::eek::eek: for me to drag DH to the Ford dealer for a truck. The short wheelbase is a tough situation and we were tugged and pulled all over I95. Although, it can handle the weight there may come a time where it is extremely difficult to handle the wind.

While the Expedition is rated to tow 8600, I was concerned about the short wheelbase and trailer length. This is exactly the kind of information I need. Thank you!!

jimtoo

Hi Merrythought,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family of owners. We have lots of great people here with lots of information and all willing to share. We have a lot more just like the two who just answered your question.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Duramax1

If you do not have a 4:1 rear axle ratio you will be sorely lacking in power based on my friends experience towing a 28 foot Rockwood.

jnbhobe

Now that we know your TV is rated to tow this unit, You have to make the desision if you have the experience to tow it. As Deb said the wind and trucks can throw you all over the road. A few things that can be done are 6 ply tires for stability, HD shocks ???, A good WD hitch with sway control or A Hensley Hitch. Towing with a short WB takes special skills. Good luck with your desision. JON

caissiel

I was looking at the specs on the Expedition. These units are much heavier then a 1/2 ton. If you don't load to heavy and have good sway bars you will be almost as heavy on the TV as the Trailer.

My neigbours dodge 1/2 ton setup was hauling his unit very well but when he was setup on the trailer the truck was way to light. So he opted for a F350 that is not realy heavier on the rear then the Expidition is anyway. But he finds his truck way to long for proper handling in the trailer parks.
Years ago the GM Suburbans were the king of trailering with the TT's. We saw them on the roads everywhere. Because they were heavy and practical for the passengers.

A friend of mine, a horse hauler had a 95 Dodge Cummins (About 6500 Lbs) and told me he hauled a trailer 1000 miles, it was 40 ft long and he did over 70MPH all the way, and all along he never used any sway bare. The long trailer was much easier to haul then the short horse trailers he hooked all the time. This guy hauls trailers loaded with horses, all over without using sway bars.

Just my observations.

theharveys

Several years ago, we owned a 27 foot Sportsmen travel trailer that we towed with a 1/2 ton chevrolet suburban. The suburban could tow the trailer OK, but where it gave me white knuckles was when a semi tractor trailer would either pass us going in the same direction in which case I would have to fight my rig in order to keep it from getting sucked into the truck as it went by.
Trucks going by us in the opposite direction also required me to be vigilant in order to keep my rig in my own lane.
We eventually bought a 94 one ton duelly ford and all those problems completely went away. The truck and trailer felt like one unit and getting passed by trucks in either direction no longer caused us any issues.
Based on my experience, I would highly recommend the truck, especially a DRW truck.

I've had serious doubts about towing a long trailer with the Expedition so much appreciate the answers from everyone. Both of us like the North Trail units so we need to make some hard decisions. Thanks to everyone!!

caissiel

The handling of a trailer has a lot to do with the air pressure in the rear tire.
My friend with his 1/2 ton, found it a world of difference from 30Lbs in the tires to 50Lbs.

So did I when I had 30lbs compared with 50Lbs in the rear tires, and that was with a small 5th wheel.

The 1/2 ton suburbans can only have 50Lbs in the rear tires and the dualy is at 65Lbs min and 4 tires to prevent sway. The 3/4 ton suburban was a world of difference over the lighter 1/2 ton model, with E class tires.

I believe the Expidition is a 3/4 ton unit with class E tires that can be inflated to 80lbs. To me it would make it a great trailer hauler.

The lighter trailers are no advantage on the road and we are going to see more and more of these units with accidents because they are way to light for the size of the bodies. As for me I would never have one after I heard my friend in florida explain to me his accident.

He was doing a stop in the wind, and he felt a jolt and he saw his trailer on its side behind his truck. He had a GM 2500 long wheel base and a light 24ft long trailer.

I've towed a 32 ft TT a few thousand miles with an '06 Expedition. Ours is a 2WD with a capacity of 8950. The vehicle has independent suspension, so it does pull differently than a pickup. With a standard Reese weight dist. with sway bar did ok, but the dual cam setup is far superior in my opinion.
We still pull a 7k utility trailer with no problems with the exception of fuel consumption!