tn heartland dealer

tommy41

I am thinking of going from a class A DP to a truck and fiver. I was wondering if anyone knew of a heartland dealer in the state of tn or the nearest dealer to tn. I think i would be interested in something in the 34 to 36 ft length. An also what size of a truck I would need to travel with this size rig in the mountains ? thanks for any info

nhunter

Not being nosey but how come your thinking of switching to5er and truck from a pusher. Always thought of going the other way.

Trap

I agree with PK about Rv's for less no bs pricing what they quote is what they want and usually less than anyone else. As far as truck goes if your mainly towing I would go for a 1-ton dually.

Trap

tommy41

Hunter...the reason I am considering going from a pusher to a fiver n truck is this...I am a fulltimer 1st of all, an my rig is a 1994 37ft diesel pusher, 6 sd allison. It has done a wonderful job for all these yrs. (I bought it when it was only 2 yrs old) an it has given very few problems (nothing major) after 100,000 an 657 miles. It looks great, but..my wife an i travel with 3 cats (our children LOL), an I was thinking if i ever had a major breakdown, what i would do, not many motels i know of takes animals, even for a few days. My rig is gettin some age on it. An i used to have a tag-a-long long ago and am used to trailers. An the most of the reason, is "cost" I just am not gonna pay the prices of a new or nearly new DP coach as they are today. So I was thinking of a nice fiver an a diesel truck. cheaper insurance, cheaper mainteance, an if a repair is needed on the truck, then the trailer can be in a campground, while the truck is being worked on. Like I said , I am "only" thinking of this move, havent really made up my mind. thanks for any help from all you fivers.

nhunter

After hearing that kind of makes me rethink my thinking. Just seems like the grass is always greener:D

jimtoo

Hi tommy41,,, I had two MH before we went to the truck and fiver. We like the fiver better, not only for more room, but like you said, less expensive maintenance. I have a 94 GMC 3500 CC, dually w/duramax and allison pulling a 3055RL. I gross about 22,000 loaded and ready for the road. I just made a 6800 mile trip out west, towing the fiver about 6300 miles of that. Made all the parks, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and the Tetons. Did not have any problems with the mountains and had an overall average mileage of 9.58mpg. My 94 is the 305 hp and the new ones are 350 or 360 hp now. But I am totally happy with my combination and performance. Hope this helps you.

Paul & Nan

Having been the route from tents to popups to TT to 5ers to DP MH back again, we would never look back from a 5th wheel. So many reasons, more room, if your motor dies,etc. Nan and Paul

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have finally made the decision! We hope its the right one. The first 5er we looked at was a BH 3400RL then spent 3 months looking at everything we could. We really liked the Grand Junction by duchman (Thor). Well built and rave reviews by owners. We just came to the conclusion the the BH 3400RL at 20K difference is the better buy. We hope that all the heartland owners can tell how may real problems we are going to have. By the way get the moryde suspention and the hitch pin box. I have spent many hours on the net and with Carl at moryde
and they also have a fully independent axle and disc brake set up for both the RE and IE suspentions. Just might have our new BH 5er by the end of August. Please let us about quality as we are going to be fulltimers.

Last edited:

fulltimer

On Saturday 8/5/06 I traded in a 2005 Winnebago Journey 39F for a Landmark Grand Canyon at RV's For Less in Knoxville, TN. I use a 3500 GMC diesel/Allison transmission to pull the Grand Canyon with no problem. I have not had a chance to weigh the truck or the trailer. I should have purchased the Landmark two years ago. RV's For Less is very easy to deal with and very helpful. My wife and I live full time in our unit with two cats. Everyone seems happy at this point.

Fulltimer

jpmorgan37

Hey Fulltimer;
Congratulations on your new Grand Canyon. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours. If you get down to Texas in the winter, give us a shout. We will be there from Mid September until early April.
Hope our paths cross sometime,

John

fulltimer

I doubt if we will make Texas this year. Are you planning to go to the 2007 Rally? I to hope the Grand Canyon works out well for us also. I learned rather quickly the clothes rod in the closet can't support all the clothes my wife can hang on it. Is the Doran pressure pro a tire monitoring system? Are you happy with it and would you do it again?

Fulltimer

jpmorgan37

We all learned the hard way about the clothes rod. Many post on that subject and a number of different fixes. Mine won't come down again!!!!!! You need to read Jim Beletti's post on the Pressure Pro from this past weekend. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1414 I think that says it all. And yes, I would do it again. I only have it on my GC, not on the truck. Yes to the Rally. We were there this year and it was very enjoyable and am looking forward to 2007.

John

jbeletti

fulltimer,

I have seen a couple of fixes to the clothes rod - by owners. Even more than my own pitiful but adequate fix, I rather like slaytop's fix - saw it at the rally. If you're handy, you can effect a great fix. Maybe slaytop can add a picture or two to his post when he gets "off the road".

Of course, sad that we need to do the fix at all - but it is what it is - a less than optimal design, or, we all have some pretty heavy clothes...

Hope you can be at the 2007 International Rally in Goshen, IN or at least make one of the Regional Rallies being planned. I'm with John, we made great friends and it's like having an RV family.

Welcome aboard!

Jim

jbeletti

Cheryl's got it right - about 50 posts difference. It's a rating system built into the vBulletin application. I am not that fond of user rating systems but by the time I figured it out, we already had users rated differently so I figured I'd just leave it alone. I did change the 200 post rating from Grand Poobah to Senior Member - same as the 100 post rating. I thought Grand Poobah seemed a bit pretentious.

Jim

tinkers

Full timers
fulltimer, we had the rod fall 2 times, and then the whole shelf pull down, so my husband finally put some metal pipe straps across the rods, and then got 1" wooden dowel rod and inserted it in the center of the closet, and viola!! no more surprises!!! And by the way......found the GREATEST hangers for our fulltiming.....can put more clothes in a smaller area, and they will NEVER FALL OFF THE HANGER!!!!! If you go to HSN, home shopping network, and type in Huggable Hangers, you will find the greatest invention since sliced bread. I have told all my rving friends about them and they have purchased them and love them, also. Had them for the house as well.

Good luck out there......will you be in Florida this winter? We stay at River Ranch, between Lake Wales & Vero Beach.

Logan & Pat
Big Horn 3400RL #455

fulltimer

I appreciate the suggestion for hangers. Even though I show FL as an address my wife and I are seldom there. We own property in Polk City which is between Orlando and Tampa. This fall we hope to start construction of a home with RV port. Once we get it built we will probably rent it out to people that might want to spent some time in that area.

fulltimer