Generator or not? What is Generator prep?

shriver63

We a looking to buy a new 3850 and was thinking about not going with the generator because of weight and cost. We spend most of our summer in our permanent spot with electricity and travel maybe one or two trips a year. What exactly is generator prep? I have my own 4500 watt portable genny now. Does that mean I could set it in the compartment when or if we ever need it and plug and go?
Thanks in advance

2010augusta

Generator prep is having the factory pre-wire in the transfer switch and the electrical wires and fuel supply to the front compartment for a permanently mounted generator. It also includes a large galvanized box in the front compartment. There is also a start/stop switch and hour meter inside the trailer.

If you are using a portable generator, the prep is not needed, but if you ever plan on a permanent generator prep is a great value, as having a dealer do this after the trailer is built is much more expensive.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
shriver63, It's not a good idea to run a portable genny in the front compartment. Gen Prep also includes proper ventilation and exhaust modifications. You will have issues with carbon monoxide by running a portable up there. carry it in the bed of your truck and use it as needed. I understand a 4500 is a bit heavy to be carting in & out of the truck but it's much safer than in the front compartment.

lwmcguir

I agree with Ray, however if you get the gen prep, you can run it in there if you hook up the extended exhaust correctly.