Electrical Problem

Gerhdo

We have 2010 3055 RL. Yesterday, the fan and light in the stove hood would not come on, in addition the lights over the sink and desk will not come on. All other lights, outlets and electrical appliances work fine. I attempted to check the fuses but none that I could tell were labeled for the stove hood or just the desk and sink lights. I would assume all are probably all on the same circuit, but have no way of telling. I am on the road and don't have any way testing the circuits but it appears there is no current getting to these lights or the fan? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I checked all of the breakers and the fuses, and all appear to be ok but have be unable to isolate the fan and lights so maybe I missed one.

jimtoo

Check the GFI (plug) by the sink in the bedroom (bathroom sink). I think all the circuits your are talking about feed through it for a safety reason.

Jim M

vangoes

Gerhdo,
I believe the circuit you are talking about should be a 12 volt circuit. If it is not one of the 12 volt fuses, try checking for a loose grounding wire.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think Van is on the right track. It sounds like a ground wire came loose. Look at the fuse panel and see if the lights you are having problems with are on the same circuit. It may be something you will have to get done by a dealer if you aren't comfortable digging into it on your own.

jimtoo

Vangoes and Ray are correct, it is a 12volt circuit. Had my head in the wrong place or did not read correctly. Need to check the 12 v fuse side.

Jim M

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Don't depend on the lights on the fuse panel indicating whether a fuse is blown or not. I had one blown recently on my furnace and the indicator never lit! Check the fuse - not the light. :)

Gerhdo

electrical problem

The 12 volt problem which caused the lights over the desk, sink and the vent fan and light not to operate has been solved on our 3055RL. Unfortunately, I had to call a repair man to find the problem. It turns out that a corroded connection under the door side slide was draining off power and was not allowing enough power to operate the lights and fan. Once he isolated the problem and cleaned and reconnected the wires the lights work as expected. Moisture was the problem for the corrosion. I would thought that Heartland whould have applied some grease in the connections to prevent this. Anyway, problem solved now I can fight with Heartland to see if I can get some of the repair money back as our 5th wheel is less than one year old.

Thanks to those of you who provided repair suggestions.

wdk450

Use Special Wire Nuts

The 12 volt problem which caused the lights over the desk, sink and the vent fan and light not to operate has been solved on our 3055RL. Unfortunately, I had to call a repair man to find the problem. It turns out that a corroded connection under the door side slide was draining off power and was not allowing enough power to operate the lights and fan. Once he isolated the problem and cleaned and reconnected the wires the lights work as expected. Moisture was the problem for the corrosion. I would thought that Heartland whould have applied some grease in the connections to prevent this. Anyway, problem solved now I can fight with Heartland to see if I can get some of the repair money back as our 5th wheel is less than one year old.

Thanks to those of you who provided repair suggestions.

You know, they make special wire nuts for 12 volt buried outdoor lighting wiring that have a shot of silicone already in place to protect the wire connection from moisture. Maybe we should move up to those in these under slide connections.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Those silicone-filled buriable wire nuts sound like a terrifiic solution! I use them around the property here but never thought about using them for the RV. Thanks Bill!