Towing the 3580 RL Bighorn

chall

What do you use to tow your 3580 RL? I have a 3210 Cyclone and plan to change to the 3580 RL. My Chevy 2500 HD Duramax with Allison pulls the Cyclone without any problems. Can I expect the same performance pulling the 3580 RL. Your opinions please.

bill40

Hello Chall,
You are going to get a lot of opinions on this. Yes your 2500 will pull the BC probably without a problem. Many of the members do. I personally prefer a 3500 or larger. This is just my opinion. Check your trucks towing GVWR. I found that even with my set up there were some places it would have been nice to have a exhaust brake (doubt you would need that in FL) for some long steep downhills.
I sure you will get some good advice. Bill:)

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you want to keep the 3/4 Ton, you may want to look at some of the rear helper spring add-ons that can be put on the pick-up. We added a set of "SuperSprings" to our F250 and it made a world on difference. Essentially gives it a better suspension that the F350.

lwmcguir

I would recommend Air Ride Booster for the rear. That way you can level out the truck when loaded and when empty.

Pizzaguy

I would recommend Air Ride Booster for the rear. That way you can level out the truck when loaded and when empty.

I second lwmcguir's suggestion.I pull a 3610RE with a F250 and the air bags are great,especially with on board compressor.

caissiel

I would be ready to say that the 3580 is no harder to haul then the 3210. The hich weight is much better on the BH, and the G tires are miles ahead of the E tires.
Have fun and keep your truck on the springs as I did. The GM can carry more then my F250, Go for it.

CrazyScotsman

Our 3580 pulls like a dream behind our F350 DRW. Sometimes it's easy to forget that it's back there.. I know it won't feel like it is back there when I start pulling it with the Volvo.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I pull my 3580RL with a modified F250 PSD. I have installed an oversized transmission cooler, a pyrometer, a boost guage, a transmission temp guage, a 5" exhaust system, a severe "Donaldson" air cleaner system, Firestone air bags, Super sways, diablo 85 HP chip, superbuild transmission, 10 ply Toyo Tires, oversized shocks, bypass engine oil system, synthetic oil (both trans and engine) and a few more smaller items. I can feel it behind but since adding the super sways, the wind does not knock me around anymore. I have owned 3 dual rear wheel trucks and the only beneift I have found is, well none. Most will say it is more stable, but with super sways there is no differance. I will tell you that my milage was always worse with a dual rear truck.