refrigerator light stays on

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We own a 2005 Mt Rushmore with the side by side refrigerator with ice maker, model no. NDR 1292.Recently I noticed that the light inside the fridg does not go off when I close the door. Not wanting to drive the 1 and 1/2 hours to my dealer, I called and told them my problem. They told me that if they had the unit at the shop that replacing the light switch is where they would start. So I had them send me one.I installed the new switch and the light still does not got out when i close the door. The service guy at Bill Plemmons RV, (where I purchased the unit) told me that there was a circuit board or something that told the switch to cut off the light when the door closes. I know that the light not working properly is a small thing, but I want the light to go out as it should when the door is shut. I have taken the bulb out. Has any one else had this problem? Can any one tell me a fix for this problem?We have had a few other minor problems. But we really enjoy our home away from home.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi TRDEAL
I can't really give you any advise on the light staying on, but it was a good idea to take the bulb out. Even that little 25 watt bulb will give off a lot of heat which you do not need in the refer.

Jack Sims

I also bought my Grand Canyon at Bill Plemmons and the refer light was staying on. If you have not already figured it out, according to Dometic, when the low ambient switch located under the front lip when the freezer door is opened is in the on position, the light will remain on. When the switch is turned off, the light functions as it is supposed to. I tried this out, and it works.

tdharley

LOL

Hey T

I cannot help but picture you in front of the refer closing then opening the door real quick to see if the light is on or not.

LOL

I too have the side by side and its a pretty simple switch. I have the opposite problem , sometime when I get too much condensation the switch sticks closed.

Could a little peice of the switch handle have gotten snapped off? Maybe when you did it reaching for a cold one opening the door real fast????????

Sorry just had to say that. I got it out of my system now.
You can get me back at the Myrtle Beach rally.

trdeal

:D
tdharley said:
LOL

Hey T

I cannot help but picture you in front of the refer closing then opening the door real quick to see if the light is on or not.

LOL

I too have the side by side and its a pretty simple switch. I have the opposite problem , sometime when I get too much condensation the switch sticks closed.

Could a little peice of the switch handle have gotten snapped off? Maybe when you did it reaching for a cold one opening the door real fast????????

Sorry just had to say that. I got it out of my system now.
You can get me back at the Myrtle Beach rally.
Oh no. No need to apologize.That is really pretty funny.I wish I had thought of it.What tipped me off that something was not right was having to replace the bulb twice in a short amount of time. After replacing it the last time I pushed on the switch handle with my finger ,real fast,and the light stayed on. Replaced the switch,real fast,light still stayed on.Then I read somewhere about the low ambient switch.Cut it off and the light went off.Shut the door light goes off. Opened the door light comes on.And I can open that refer door pretty fast.Oh and my idea of a cold one is a Mountain Dew or a glass of sweet tea with lemon. Looking forward to the rally.I think we are parked on the same row so you had better behave yourself.:D :cool:

trdeal

Jack Sims said:
I also bought my Grand Canyon at Bill Plemmons and the refer light was staying on. If you have not already figured it out, according to Dometic, when the low ambient switch located under the front lip when the freezer door is opened is in the on position, the light will remain on. When the switch is turned off, the light functions as it is supposed to. I tried this out, and it works.
Already figured it out but Thanks