Electric awning question

labbysmom

We've never had an electric awning and wondered what you do to drain off rain? Can it be sloped?

Thanks
Diane

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
It depends on what model awning you have. Some can be locked in a sloped position and others are self dumping and remain level all the times.

cashb

Hi Labby, our new sundance has the two-step awning and it flexes when rain pools. One side dips down and the water pours off. I believe this is what your vehicle will come with (could be wrong) and we love this set up! We have the same on our living quarters horse trailer and it works like a champ! Hope you will be as happy with your new 3670 as we are with our 2900MK!!

ATLJOHN

Hi Diane
We just picked up our BH 3670 on Friday and the electric awning has adjustment to allow to lower one side for the water to run off. The manual only speaks about how to lower the sides manually but nothing about automatic lowering.
Hope this helps.

John

2010augusta

We manually drop one end and lock it in place, the slope is plenty to drain off all the rain we get here in the NorthWest. I have added two guy-wires to keep it stable when the wind picks up.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I had the awning motor replaced last fall, I also wanted the one arm retrofitted with the adjustable one. I was told that my model would not accept that. When it did work, I did not have a problem with water pooling on it, but it always seemed to drain off the end in front of the door, even though the trailer was level.

I don't know what could be "redesigned" on it, but one of the minor annoyances is that when it rains and there's a wind, the door is not protected very well by the awning. With the slide near the door, there isn't a lot of room to move it further towards the rear of the trailer.

traveler44

draining awning

A guy went out after a hard rain down here the other morning and loosened the side support. The weight of the water pulled the screws out of the side support and then pulled the canvas loose at the top. He probably could have worked some of that water off the awning with a broom from underneath. I run mine in slowly and clean leaves off as I go. Tom

labbysmom

Thanks all, I suppose we will just have to wait and see. One thing that was nice about our Cardinal was the awning was installed a good foot away from the door so we stayed fairly dry except when wind and rain combined :eek:. Have experienced alot of that in Birch Bay WA.

Counting the days to lift off!

Diane

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A guy went out after a hard rain down here the other morning and loosened the side support. The weight of the water pulled the screws out of the side support and then pulled the canvas loose at the top. He probably could have worked some of that water off the awning with a broom from underneath. I run mine in slowly and clean leaves off as I go. Tom

I made that mistake with our TT once. Thought I could relieve some of the bulge by lowering one side. BIG MISTAKE :eek:. Sure was glad I had insurance on the rig and only a $100 deductible. Lucky I didn't get bonked by the arm when it slammed down. Bent one arm and the main roller. $1200 to replace everything.