B&W Companion-3850 Cyclone-Shortbed box

shriver63

Looking to buy a 3850 Cyclone and have a B&W hitch allready installed in my 2008 F250 CC SB truck. The truck has the Firestone Ride rites now.

My question is with the B&W Companion hitch in this truck what type of aftermarket hitch pin would work best. Trailair? 5th Airborne? Mor/ryde? I guess I'm looking for which works the best in tandem with the Companion in taking out most of the rough ride factors.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a B&W hitch in my 06 F250 LB. It worked great with a regular pin box for a SOB, my Bighorn standard pin box and with my TrailAir pin box.

I am no expert but I would think all the pins are the same or close enough unless you have a very special pin box. Some sliders need a special adaptor on the pin box if I read some previous posts but I have never had the problem.

I like the B&W because of the way it captures and releases the pin. I don't think I could ever hi pin or come loose because it will not lock unless it is around the pin correctly.

The only thing to think about is having a short bed with the B&W. If you have enough room to turn I would say your good to go. HL says you have an 88* turn capability and many have pulled without a slider or not used the slide hitch and feel good just incase it becomes necessary.

I think you will be good with the standard pin or if you went with the TrailAir (which gives you a little more distance) and it is very possible that you will not have to have a slider hitch with your HL.

FWIW
BC

trvlrerik

I have a standard pin box and pin on my 08 f350 4X4 SB, with the 18k BK companion hitch. On a flat surface I can get the 88 degrees advertised by Heartland. I have a low rise toolbox (about 2 1/2" taller than the sides of the bed) so it clears with about 6" to spare. I generally look for a flat spot to stay when out in the boondocks so I have not had any problems. If you intend to run around in a lot of hilly tree areas a slider may be of some use.
As far as ride issues are concerned I also have firestone ride rite airbags and rarely need to put more than 30psi in them, and I have very little "bucking" or surge from the trailer, and I have run on some pretty bad highways and back roads. This is my own opinion as all I ever ride in are 1 ton trucks, so my idea of a good ride could be not to dependable.
My wife can read a book while pulling down the highway with no complaints however.
This is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

trvlrerik

I have a standard pin box and pin on my 08 f350 4X4 SB, with the 18k BK companion hitch.

I meant to say standard pin and box on my 3912 cyclone.

shriver63

I have a standard pin box and pin on my 08 f350 4X4 SB, with the 18k BK companion hitch.

I meant to say standard pin and box on my 3912 cyclone.

Hey thanks for the reply. We will have about the same setup. I see the 3912 is slightly lighter on the pin but heavier overall. Have you weighed your 3912? Are the figures the Heartland puts in their brochure close for your rig? 2671 pin and 14617 overall

trvlrerik

Depending on what is in the garage really effects the pin weight, but the weights you listed are in the ball park. Water and grey/black tanks also effect the weights a lot. I have always tried to stay under 23k total weight. The setup I have is working fine for me, but I am very cautious about tire pressure and not pushing the truck to hard, high wind days are no travel days.

trvlrerik

Just curious, but what is a BK companion hitch. Are you refering to the B&W companion??

Yes, I guess I am showing some Kansas, BK makes some custom flat bed/towing setups around here, lots of farmers use them as the bed is made from 1/2" tread steel.

I have the 18k B&W companion, with the B&W pop up ball. I have seen the companion retro-fitted to a standard fifth wheel ball hitch, using a grade 8 post replacing the ball assembly.

RVLiven

I will be picking up my 2008 3912 next week and I have a 2006 3500 Mega Cab DRW. The truck box is 6'3" and it came with the B&W goose neck and I'm hoping I can just add the B&W Companion and be done with it. The Companion can be off set so I gain 6.5" back from where ball sits. Do you have any knowledge to pass my way?

combine_billy

I will be picking up my 2008 3912 next week and I have a 2006 3500 Mega Cab DRW. The truck box is 6'3" and it came with the B&W goose neck and I'm hoping I can just add the B&W Companion and be done with it. The Companion can be off set so I gain 6.5" back from where ball sits. Do you have any knowledge to pass my way?

Not sure what your question is for sure. I currently use the companion and am very happy with it. I also pull gooseneck flatbed and cattle trailers, so it is handy for me to go back and forth between the two.

RVLiven

I'm worried about turning radius and rough terrain clearance between my 3912 and 3500 mega cab which is a 6'3" short box with the B&W Companion.