Panels on roof finally

rvn4fun

:)Just finished installing the solar panels on the roof of the BC. Had to fight a increasing wind the day I was doing it resulting in a not perfectly straight install, but they are on! This is the 3rd 5th wheel, one of the panels has been on, as I take them off when I trade. Now we can shut off the converter and save some electricity on our monthly bill. I also installed another 12 volt battery, since the BC only comes with one. This summer I will probably install a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries, if I hook up our inverter. Since now I have a generator with us, I'm not sure if I will go to the trouble of installing another battery box and my used inverter, from my previous rv.

Attachments

• mini-DSC02874.JPG
    mini-DSC02874.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC02877.jpg
    DSC02877.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 155

rvn4fun

Each panel is about 4 amps, in a perfect situation they would both together charge about 8 amps. In the middle of summer with the sun higher in the sky they will charge 6 to 7 amps a hour. Yesterday here in Texas with a low sun in the sky, I was getting 5 amps. I could go up and set them up on there stands, facing the sun, and that would pick up more amps, but I have climbed the ladder enough for now. Anyway it is like having a small battery charger hook up on the batteries. One of the panels is a 1997 and the other was new in 2001.

Brad

How are they attached to the roof? I'd like to add some panels someday but don't have a clue how to mount without the danger of causing leaks.

rvn4fun

I attach them with 1 inch long lag screws, each panel uses 8 of them. I always put down the putty tape, not sure what it is called, it is what the dealers use when they mount a vent ect, under the panel. Then just lay the panel on the roof over the putty and install the screws. Cover with a generous amout of dicor roof sealant over the screws. Have never had a leak so far, and this is my third rv, that I have had panels on.

fljlcw

our complete solar system should be here mon. or tues. from rv solar in scottsdale az. wish us luck its our first install but they claim to have good tech.sopport Fred

rvn4fun

I just ran the wire down the vent pipe and brought it out in the basement, through a hole I drilled into the vent pipe. You then seal this hole with a good silicone sealant. I then went over to the solar controller located on the back wall of the basement. Then I went from there to the batteries. This was a fairly simple install. I have helped several campers through the years with solar, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.