PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon Demo Coach

jbeletti
01-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Several have asked to see pictures of this beauty so I took a few interior shots and put them online here (http://www.beletti.com/2011_Landmark/2011_Heartland_Landmark_Grand_Canyon/Interior.html).

This is my 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon demo coach. This thing is awesome!

Over the next few weeks, I'll add more interior pictures as well as a full compliment of exterior pictures.

I just spent the last 2 days moving into the unit. Today I installed an external cellular antenna on the ladder. Had to drill a hole in the rear cap of an RV I've never towed yet :eek:

Lippert came by and gave me a lesson on how to use the Lippert Electronic Automatic Leveling System. Pretty cool. I'll explain it in more detail at a later date - along with pictures :D

Then, a factory rep from a company out of Canada, along with Lippert, their US partner, gave me a lesson on how to use the Air Suspension. ::what did Jim say? :eek: :eek::: Yep - we are demo'ing an air ride suspension. I will be giving it a good workout in February, all the way down to the Mexican border (the RGV - not across the border) and back to Chicago - all with a standard pin box. Yee gads!! The air suspension folks feel that I will not need it. I do have an air ride suspension (Link Mfg) on the F550 - so perhaps they are right. So for now, I have the cool hitch cover on the standard pin box - and a Trailair Tri-Glide back at the plant as my backup plan - should the RV suspension not help to eliminate chucking and up/down bounce.

More later.

Jim
Sleepy at a hotel in Mishawaka, IN ;) (that's one eye closed - not a wink - where's a "sleepy" emoticon when you need one?)

jimtoo
01-28-2010, 12:25 AM
You better have everything in the correct place,,, Nancy will be looking I'm sure.

Are you going to park it for a few days till the Houston Rally?

Jim M

slmayor
01-28-2010, 12:53 AM
OK, let me be the first to put "dibs" on this one when you're done with it. :) I liked the Rushmore better, but Ray really likes the Grand Canyon. This one will do nicely and I can wait... LOL After all, all the bugs will be worked out and it will be road tested already when you're done.
Really, really nice rig. I love my 3370 and hadn't really seen anything that would make me want a new one until these 2011 Landmarks. I appreciate the looks inside the cabinets, as that was my only remaining question on them.
May you guys enjoy every single mile you put on it.

klindgren
01-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Nice Jim, Vey Nice. Right down to the slate decor that we have in our Pinehurst. If you ever dediced you want to go back to the Pinehurst, I'll be more than willing to sacrifice my Pinehurst and swap for your new Grand Canyon. Just a friend helping a friend if you know what I mean!!:)

Now, I gotta see if the factory can swap out my vanity and shower for that new vessel sink vanity and rounded shower front you have!!

Keith

jnbhobe
01-28-2010, 07:14 AM
WOW JIM !!!! Sure does look nice. Like all the windows. Can't wait to see it in person. Enjoy !!

cookie
01-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Jim, love the coach. I did see one thing out of place though. In pic #4 there is all kinds of white stuff showing through the windows....What is that??? :confused::confused::confused:
Nice coach, can't wait to see it in a couple of weeks.

Peace
Dave

mjatwalker
01-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Wow Jim, Nice looking coach. Looking foward to seeing it at Willow Tree. Hope
everything goes well on your first trip.

Mike

boatto5er
01-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Nice Jim! Like Mike, we look forward to getting a closer look in South Carolina.

Tom of Ypsi
01-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the pics. Nice looking coach and hope to see more pics in the very near future. Hope they have one at the Houston RV show or hopefully an up close and personal look here in Houston.

Rockerga
01-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Very nice!:D

SilverRhino
01-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Jim....Thought with your pull you would have been able to get a BC...just kidding :D

Sharp rig! If I was full-timing this looks and sounds like it would be the ideal coach. Good luck getting it on the road!

Travel Safe!

RV_Vagabonds
01-28-2010, 10:49 AM
It's amazing the changes they've made between your 2011 GC and our 2011 GC. Or perhaps as a demo they did things differently with the interior. But we certainly do have a nice looking rig, don't we?;)

scott b
01-28-2010, 11:02 AM
JB , its beautiful, Lisa and I had a chance to see one, when we were down in Quartzsite a couple weeks ago. We both really liked the layout with the exception of the Bathroom sink, didn't seem real practical, other than that the coach was great. I know you will get it all fixed up , and can't wait to see more pics. Scott

bill40
01-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Nice digs love the bigger windows.Will check it out at the rally. You can keep the white stuff.

Big Al and Donna
01-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Makes us wish we had waited to buy. But then again if we had waited, we would never had met all of the great people on this forum. Our 3370 will be like new when it comes home from Elkhart, just wish we had it so we can hit the road. Getting restless in the cold.

netters1
01-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Great RV Jim! We had a chance to see one at Ron Hoovers in Donna, TX a couple of weeks ago. I thought that Mac was gonna run inside and beg them to take our 2010 Augusta as a trade...lol. We are anxious to see you when you get to the RGV in a ocuple of weeks! :o:o

jbeletti
01-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Exterior pictures have been loaded (http://www.beletti.com/2011_Landmark). As I add more images to that site, more menu items will appear. So for now, Home, Interior and Exterior appear.

Heading home with it now.

Jim

dbylinski
01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Wow, Beautiful Coach! Have not seen a Landmark in awhile. Oh Honey, We need a bigger truck! Good luck Jim and drive home safe.

mrcomer
01-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Very nice rig. Too bad it was snowing there. Please be careful on your way home.

Mark

Jburks
01-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Jim I found you a tv to go with that nice Landmark.
http://www.truckpaper.com/email.asp?emid=1244658 (http://www.truckpaper.com/email.asp?emid=1244658)

dieselengineer
01-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Hey Jim
Real nice, I see you have THE best bike rack on the back already. I have this rack and it is great. Spot on! I did notice that the locking pins were not in the rack. You should place the pin in before you travel.

Riverman
01-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Very beautiful...just a shame that the only garage has appliances in it.

davebennington
01-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Very nice Jim, one question what is all that white stuff around the truck and trailer can't be sand I know they don't have white sand in IN. LOL

Dave

Randy
01-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Jim, a very nice unit to demo. No Santha is not allowed to look at when you bring it down the SC Rally.
Dave, Looking at the weather for this weekend you and Julie are most likely to get some of that white sand that melts. We don"t generally have that problem in Atlanta. LOL Randy

jbeletti
01-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Hey Jim
Real nice, I see you have THE best bike rack on the back already. I have this rack and it is great. Spot on! I did notice that the locking pins were not in the rack. You should place the pin in before you travel.

Good catch on the locking pin Jim! By the way, I have found that receiver is about 6" too far under the RV. I will need to new bike rack with an extended receiver or I'll need a receiver extension.

I spoke to Engineering about this to see if we can make this better going forward.

Jim

jbeletti
01-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Jim, a very nice unit to demo. No Santha is not allowed to look at when you bring it down the SC Rally.
Dave, Looking at the weather for this weekend you and Julie are most likely to get some of that white sand that melts. We don"t generally have that problem in Atlanta. LOL Randy

C'mon Randy - it doesn't cost anything for a tour :rolleyes:

jbeletti
01-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Very nice Jim, one question what is all that white stuff around the truck and trailer can't be sand I know they don't have white sand in IN. LOL

Dave

It wasn't vanilla icing :eek: Brace yourself in Bracey - VA may see some of it...

jbeletti
01-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Jim I found you a tv to go with that nice Landmark.
http://www.truckpaper.com/email.asp?emid=1244658 (http://www.truckpaper.com/email.asp?emid=1244658)

Nice Jack. I dream about a new M2 Sport Chassis. I am just shy of $135,000 for it though :eek:

mnkamper
01-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Very, very nice Jim! Good thing we have our BH.... too many great choices and it'd take us another 3 years to decide!

beardedone
01-28-2010, 11:34 PM
That is a very unit. I am still trying to get my 09 Augusta the way I want so can't buy another one for awhile. When you get some info on the air suspension I would appreciate an update as I am having to upgrade my suspension before we go back on the road. Maybe you could post your impressions of suspension after you arrive down south.

sharmulst
01-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Saw the new GC here in Quartzsite, AZ at the RV show. This is the one that turned us on to Heartlands back in 2005. Yours is beautiful. If we ever upgrade this is the one I would want.
Take care in that white stuff, sure glad we are in AZ where we have only had rain.

porthole
01-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Good catch on the locking pin Jim! By the way, I have found that receiver is about 6" too far under the RV. I will need to new bike rack with an extended receiver or I'll need a receiver extension.

Well for now - just one of the many items available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Curt-8-Trailer-Hitch-Receiver-Adapter-Extension_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5918037eQQi temZ130343764862QQptZMotorsQ5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCampe rQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

jbeletti
01-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks Duane. I need 1-1/4" though. You gave me the boost I needed. Found it on the Curt site and ordered from eTrailer (http://www.etrailer.com/p-D189.htm).

Thanks,

Jim

----------------

Prevents hitting trailer or propane tanks when making sharp turns while towing
Extends hitch 7" from center to center of hitch pin holes

Note: The limiting factor is the capacity of your hitch. Using an extender will reduce your hitch's overall capacity by 50%.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/D/1/D189_spec.jpg
D-189 Curt Trailer Hitch Extender for 1-1/4" Hitches - 7" Long

porthole
01-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Hey - does that trailer come with snow tires?

caissiel
01-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Jim, I was looking at the air suspension from Canada and stumbled on the Standens. Is it the new system, they advertise.
It sure is a nice setup, with air it would surely be great for leveling and ride quality adjustment.
http://www.standens.com/PDF/AirsuspensionBrochure2.pdf

Superduty
01-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Jim,

Just have to ask, how does this Grand Canyon pull?

We went to from a 2008 Big Horn 3670 to a 2010 Landmark Grand Canyon, and the Landmark just pulls much better. Just wondering if you noticed anything... I pull with a 2008 F350 DRW Long Box. I went from 7-8 mpg to 9-10mpg... Your RV looks great.
This RV is the best pulling rv I have owned in 10 years...

I see you have the generator option.. Do you use the generator often? I have about 140 hr on ours since july. Works great except for the amout of LP they use.

The wife loves ours..,, and that says everything...

Barry & Alana
01-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Hi Jim your "New Landmark is very nice"! I was wondering if the closet across from the bathroom is wired and plumbed for a W/D. I saw SOB that had the w/d installed in that closet. My question would be - how would that work for a W/D sliding in and out all the time . Perhaps yours isn't wired there for that purpose.

Just curious.

Thx

JohnDar
01-29-2010, 10:35 PM
I noticed they put a SeaLevel tank sensor system in. Is that the direction HL is going, or just for this rig? But, nice rig.

jbeletti
01-29-2010, 10:39 PM
I noticed they put a SeaLevel tank sensor system in. Is that the direction HL is going, or just for this rig? But, nice rig.

I supplied the system and the plant installed it. I understand we've done this for a few customers. My guess is that if the customer supplies it, we'll install it. Verify with your dealer when placing your new coach order.

We are not going this direction with this system, but I wanted to try one out.

Jim

jbeletti
01-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Hi Jim your "New Landmark is very nice"! I was wondering if the closet across from the bathroom is wired and plumbed for a W/D. I saw SOB that had the w/d installed in that closet. My question would be - how would that work for a W/D sliding in and out all the time . Perhaps yours isn't wired there for that purpose.

Just curious.

Thx

Alana,

The W/D closet is in the front cap area on the door side of the front closet. The 2 cabinets you see in the aisle across from the hallway bathroom door are for storage. The one closest to the steps comes with fixed shelving. The one closest to the bedroom comes with a single, high fixed shelf with a clothes rod below it. For my job, I need more storage space for stuff than I do for hanging clothing/coats, so I asked for more shelving in the other cabinet.

By the way, the bathroom is fully accessible with the bedroom slide in.

Jim

jbeletti
01-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Jim,

Just have to ask, how does this Grand Canyon pull?

We went to from a 2008 Big Horn 3670 to a 2010 Landmark Grand Canyon, and the Landmark just pulls much better. Just wondering if you noticed anything... I pull with a 2008 F350 DRW Long Box. I went from 7-8 mpg to 9-10mpg... Your RV looks great.
This RV is the best pulling rv I have owned in 10 years...

I see you have the generator option.. Do you use the generator often? I have about 140 hr on ours since july. Works great except for the amout of LP they use.

The wife loves ours..,, and that says everything...

SD,

It pulled nice. The 6.0 PSD with 4.88 rear gearing just loves to pull. I noticed no discernable difference pulling this unit versus my last one, so far (1 short trip).

Jim

jbeletti
01-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Jim, I was looking at the air suspension from Canada and stumbled on the Standens. Is it the new system, they advertise.
It sure is a nice setup, with air it would surely be great for leveling and ride quality adjustment.
http://www.standens.com/PDF/AirsuspensionBrochure2.pdf

Laurent,

I'll get back to you on that. Gotta find the guy's business card.

Jim

davebennington
01-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Jim,

I am sorry I made fun of all of the "white sand" around your new coach, now that I have apologized please turn off the snow machine. We have 8 to 10 inches and it is still snowing, enough already.

Dave

trdeal
01-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Jim,

I am sorry I made fun of all of the "white sand" around your new coach, now that I have apologized please turn off the snow machine. We have 8 to 10 inches and it is still snowing, enough already.

DaveI didn't make fun of Jim and we got about that much here.Wonder who I made made?LOL

seamo
01-30-2010, 12:23 PM
It is about time that you came over to the "Grand Canyon side"

porthole
01-30-2010, 12:28 PM
It is about time that you came over to the "Grand Canyon side"

Bob - What is that behind the cab? And what truck is that?

porthole
01-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Jim

Since you started this post titled "2011 Landmark Grand Canyon Demo Coach" - can I demo it (with your TV of course) the last 2 weeks of September?

Figured I should get my request in early - I'll even let you demo the Cyclone during the interim, with the Goldens of course :D

jnbhobe
01-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Gee Guys; I'm sorry you came across a that white sand ( new style ) But I sure am glad is stayed SOUTH of Lake Erie. 21* and sunshine and took the plow off. Life is good. JON :D:D

mrcomer
01-30-2010, 01:17 PM
I like Duane's idea. Everyone should get a couple of weeks in the demo coach. Where do we sign up?

beardedone
01-30-2010, 01:20 PM
I searched the net after Jim mentioned that he had a new air system from up here. I found the Standen's site after that and am very interested because that is who is going to upgrade mine in the spring. Have to check back with them about this now. We only live 150 km north of the plant so it might be doable.

boatto5er
01-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Bob - What is that behind the cab? And what truck is that?
Duane, hope Bob doesn't mind me interjecting here. That's a "Smart" car. Very clever sideways mounting setup. Pictures I saw somewhere here on the forum earlier showed the ramps on the side to drive on and off. The truck's a Volvo660.

Gus

dieselsweetheart
01-30-2010, 04:49 PM
I was not permitted by DH to look at your pictures of the Grand Canyon. Now I know why. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... I want one!!!

Delaine and Lindy
01-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Great set up, Smart Car on the Truck and a Harley on a swivel wheel trailer behind the Landmark. GBY.....

DWH
01-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Jim,
I could be mistaken; but that looks bigger than a 32" TV in the living room. Am I right and if so is this a new option? Just wondering. We have a 2010 Grand Canyon. We love it. Didn't think it could get any better. But the self leveling and some of the other changes look great. Thanks for all you do to keep us all informed.

Doug and Sue
2110 GC

jbeletti
01-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Doug and Sue,

It's a 32" Sharp Aquos LC-32D47UN. Found it on the Sharp website (http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTVs/LC32D47UT.aspx) as LC-32D47UT. I suppose the last character is a revision number. Or maybe the N is an OEM supplied unit.

Jim

jbeletti
01-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Gerry and Jim,

The air suspension I have is by Trailer Flex. The website for it is at LBC Trailers. Here's the link (http://www.lbctrailers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=3).

Jim

porthole
01-31-2010, 06:17 AM
And he deftly avoids the scheduling of trailer demo week ...

2010augusta
01-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Gerry and Jim,

The air suspension I have is by Trailer Flex. The website for it is at LBC Trailers. Here's the link (http://www.lbctrailers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=3).

Jim

Now that looks like a sweet setup. If we ever have a problem with the Lippert stuff, we will have to check into that suspension.

The ability to lower the trailer and level the trailer with the suspension would be a great advantage when parking.

I really like how simple the swing-arm and air-bag system is.

I'm sure the the Mor-ryde IS system is good, but being around cars and auto parts all my life, I have seen too many rubber and steel motor mounts ripped apart by engine torque, I do not see how a bonded rubber-steel suspension can stand up to rigors of many miles of highway use and the strain in long-term parking.

Jim, any way for you to tell us the cost of the trailer flex system, as installed on the Landmark?

caissiel
01-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Sure beats any other suspension set I have seen, with proper setup a person could level side to side as well as up and down. If lowerd on the bumpers the trailer would possibly be more stable, and much lower at the steps. Its made by transport trailer manufacturer using a well proven technology.

2010augusta
01-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Sure beats any other suspension set I have seen, with proper setup a person could level side to side as well as up and down. If lowerd on the bumpers the trailer would possibly be more stable, and much lower at the steps. Its made by transport trailer manufacturer using a well proven technology.

My thoughts exactly!

beardedone
01-31-2010, 01:03 PM
Thank you Jim. That is a very interesting design and I am going to look at that one as well as the Standen's system. Something like that should last a lifetime and take a lot concern out of the suspension issue.

SilverRhino
01-31-2010, 01:35 PM
I agree with Alan...if I do ever have suspension issues I would be very interested in their product as a replacement. Hopefully I will not have to make that decision for many miles to come. ;)

jbeletti
01-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Floating like a butterfly Duane :)

You may tour it anytime you can catch up with me. See you out east.

Jim

4ever
01-31-2010, 08:04 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the info and the pics of the new Landmark. I showed them to DW and now she wants one. Our unit is not even one year old and we are both drooling over that new unit. It is fantastic. Really like all the extras like the suspension.

Ted

porthole
01-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Floating like a butterfly Duane :)

You may tour it anytime you can catch up with me. See you out east.

Sorry Jim - you misunderstood - we were shooting dibs on 1 or 2 weeks usage for the demo, and I believe others are trying to follow suit :D

jbeletti
01-31-2010, 11:34 PM
No misunderstanding Duane. While I was floating like a butterfly, I was skirting the issue altogether :angel:

With some toys - I guess I just don't share well. No cookies for me!

Jim

porthole
01-31-2010, 11:47 PM
So I see said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw

kakampers
02-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Jim,

Thanks for the info and the pics of the new Landmark. I showed them to DW and now she wants one. Our unit is not even one year old and we are both drooling over that new unit. It is fantastic. Really like all the extras like the suspension.

Ted

Don't I know it...just spent the past weekend really wanting one, then talking myself out of it so we can stop working in the not too distant future...bummer...:o Oh well, hope they're still making them just as nice in about six years....or maybe even better! :)

SilverRhino
02-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Jim;

Now that you have us all drooling over the air ride suspension....where did they install the compressor / gauge / controls in your unit??

jbeletti
02-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Hi Randy,

I am headed to TX this Saturday. When I get there and get the unit cleaned, I'll be taking a lot more pictures, including detailed pictures of this suspension that has everyone intrigued :)

Here's what I can tell you about it though:

COMPRESSOR
It's a Viair (http://www.viaircorp.com/OnRoad/index2.html) unit that has a regulator with a low and high limit on it. It is mounted in the front-most storage compartment on the door side, up high, yet underneath the hydraulic pump/reservoir. There is a 12 volt DC power toggle switch at the compressor so I can turn it off in the event of an air leak that would call for air and make the compressor run continuously.

TANK
The air storage tank is mounted to the underside of the coach, up tight against the underbelly, side to side, between the 2 axles. It looks to be maybe 5 gallons. I believe I was told it can refill the air bags twice.

ACCESSORY AIR
There is a female air coupling under the door-side frame rail, just forward of the steps. You can use this for two things. First, you can air up tires etc. S econd, you can use it to add air into the air system in the event of a compressor failure on the road.

BAGS
There is 1 at each tire position for 4 total. They are Firestone (http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/north_america/). Each has a rubber stop or overload bumper in them so the unit can ride, in a failure mode, without air in the bag(s).

SHOCKS
There is 1 at each tire position for 4 total. They are Gabriel (http://www.gabriel.com) and appear to be pretty heavy-duty. I assume they are to control/dampen recoil.

AIR CONTROLS
Each side of the coach has 2 small red-handle valves, side-by-side, just under the frame rail. The front-most valve isolates the front bag on that side. The rear-most valve isolates the rear bag on that side. Same deal for the other side of the coach. So 4 of these air bag isolation valves in total.

On the off-door-side, behind the sewer discharge and ahead of the front-most axle, there is an air-gauge and a 3-way ball-valve. In the normal position, the air system is connected to the bags, to the tank and to the pump. In the dump position, the air is dumped out of the bags only, but not the tank. And the pump does not run, as the tank is not calling for air as it is isolated in the dump mode.

OPERATION
In the normal operation mode, the compressor has charged the tank which has filled the bags. There is a level gauge of some sort on the rear axle, on the door-side, not unlike the system on the Link Mfg. air ride system on my truck. This controls how much air goes into the bags based on a predetermined level ride height (I guess). In the normal mode, the 3-way ball-valve remains in the normal position and the DC power switch to the compressor remains on.

When I setup at a campground, since I have the Lippert Electronic Leveling system (4 points hydraulic plus 2 points electric for stabilization), I unhitch and pull the truck away. I then rotate the 3-way ball-valve to the dump position. The air immediately dumps out of all 4 air bags and the coach drops down in the rear by 3 to 4 inches from its normal ride height. I then hit the Auto-Level button on the leveling system and it does its thing. Done :)

When I hitch back up, I raise the leveling and stabilizing legs to their stowed position, raise the front landing gear to the hitch height, back into the hitch and complete hitching per normal. I rotate the 3-way ball-valve to the normal position. The bags fill from the tank and the coach immediately raises to a level ride height. The compressor may or may not come on, depending on whether the tank requires air, based on the pressure as read by the regulator at the compressor output.

I type this like I am an expert at this. I AM NOT. I have done this once. Pretty good at the theoretical though :) I have a good set of written instruction on the Lippert leveling system. Lippert showed me how to run the system once. The guy from Trailer Flex showed me how to use the system once. With each, I asked a lot of questions and took a lot of mental notes :eek:

Experience and written procedures after several cycles will be my best teacher and going-forward process.

Pictures in a couple weeks - I promise!

Jim

SilverRhino
02-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Jim;

Thanks for the information...Sure wish we were going to be joining you guys in Kerrville. Due to some medical issues and DWs work schedule, we will not be able to make the trip.

I'm sure we'll all be waiting for further pictures of your rig!

Travel Safe!

CrazyScotsman
02-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Nice Jack. I dream about a new M2 Sport Chassis. I am just shy of $135,000 for it though :eek:

I have a real nice looking Volvo 780 you could buy Jim. Only problem with it is you would spend more time in a shop than going down the road.:mad:
Yep it's in the shop yet again.:mad: Not bad I got 2 weeks running before it let me down again.

porthole
02-03-2010, 11:08 AM
So if you buy a Volvo you should look for one with the Cummins?

I have no idea how it is with vehicles but with some of the things I saw with Volvo marine diesels I would never buy a boat with volvo in it.

Parts took forever to get, were very expensive and at the time there was only one dealer in all of south Jersey. Take a guess how that panned out for boaters.

CrazyScotsman
02-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Duane, certainly go with the Cummins in a Volvo.
The same engine as I have, is bullet proof in Europe, but by the time thay add all the junk that the US requires it ruins the engine.
Yes Volvo parts are expensive.

boatto5er
02-03-2010, 02:48 PM
I just found a picture of Jim's new 5th wheel! Looks great Jim.

skyguy
02-03-2010, 03:02 PM
I just found a picture of Jim's new 5th wheel! Looks great Jim.

That's MUCH better looking than I had originally imagined!;)

pmmjarrett
02-03-2010, 11:05 PM
I have a real nice looking Volvo 780 you could buy Jim. Only problem with it is you would spend more time in a shop than going down the road.:mad:
Yep it's in the shop yet again.:mad: Not bad I got 2 weeks running before it let me down again.

Ohhhhhhhh Noooooooooo. Sorry to hear that.

Ya need to get an old truck with a Mechanical engine. Something you can patch up with wire and duct tape......

Hmmmmm..... Speaking of duct tape:D My plastic radiator expansion tank cracked at a return hose fitting a few days ago. Grabbed a can of brake clean and a can of spray on duct tape and patched it up until I can find another. Filled my water jugs and poured the coal to it through grants pass over the grapevine:eek:. Stuff works good.

skh
03-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Hello Jim,
Am getting ready to order a Grand Canyon and am wondering what comments you have to make at this point now that you've been in it awhile? What do you think of the self leveling system as that is one thing I am undecided about? Also they tell me the majority are ordering Godiva interior to get the leather couch but I don't know that I want all leather furniture. What do you think? What interior decor is your demo as I couldn't tell for sure from the pic's? Sorry for all the questions, looks like the last entry is 3 weeks ago so unsure of your status now, I just joined the forum.

jimtoo
03-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi skh,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help and share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure Jim B will be on soon and see your question. He reads everypost made, sometimes can't respond right away, but he will as soon as he can. I do know he likes the self leveling system... he just gave me his old level, said he didn't need it any more.

Enjoy the forum and stay tuned.

Jim M

jbeletti
03-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Hello Jim,
Am getting ready to order a Grand Canyon and am wondering what comments you have to make at this point now that you've been in it awhile? What do you think of the self leveling system as that is one thing I am undecided about? Also they tell me the majority are ordering Godiva interior to get the leather couch but I don't know that I want all leather furniture. What do you think? What interior decor is your demo as I couldn't tell for sure from the pic's? Sorry for all the questions, looks like the last entry is 3 weeks ago so unsure of your status now, I just joined the forum.

skh,

First, let me say that "I LOVE IT"! The Grand Canyon is an awesome floor plan and I really like all the storage in it.

For me, the leveling system is a "gotta have" item. I used the system last season on my previous coach and LOVED it. No more carrying long boards around or getting out all the lego blocks etc. Unhitch - hit the Auto-Level button and walk away. If your budget can take the hit - get it.

We are not leather furniture people. Leather only on the car seats. We like the warmer feel of cloth. That said, I love the look of the leather furniture in our units. As for Godiva, it's very nice, but I wanted something less dark and I just came out of two seasons in a coach with Harvest (golds/browns) - so I wanted something different and went with Slate. We like it. If you want to chat by phone, PM or email me your phone number and I can give you more feedback based on my experience in the unit.

Also consider calling Kevin Finn at the plant (574-266-3786). He's the Brand Manager for LM/BH and can really help you decide too. Plus he knows what most people order - where I will not know that sort of thing.

Jim

check171
03-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Jim did you have the same leveling system on last years demo? is it the Level Up?

jbeletti
03-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Jim did you have the same leveling system on last years demo? is it the Level Up?

Last demo coach (2009 Landmark Pinehurst) had Level Up installed after the first season of using the coach.

Current demo coach (2011 Landmark Grand Canyon) has the Lippert Electronic Leveling system on it.

What is the same for these 2 systems:

Leveling is done using hydraulics

What is different for these 2 systems:

Level Up uses 6 points of hydraulic contacts with the ground (6 rams)
Lippert Hydraulic Leveling uses 4 points of hydraulic contacts with the ground (4 rams)
Lippert Hydraulic Leveling controls the tandem electric stabilizer jacks automatically as part of the leveling system/process
Lippert Hydraulic Leveling uses a touch pad controller (not wireless), mounted in a storage cabinet
The older Level Up that I had used a switch box that connected to the system via a heavy wire umbilical

Summary:

Both systems are awesome
No more leveling boards with either system
I am more pleased with the amount of control and ease of control of the new system
I'd prefer to have 6 hydraulically controlled rams with big round feet on the ground vs 4
Four rams do get the job done and could be the right balance of cost vs function/benefit

For those considering hydraulic leveling on a Heartland coach, we offer it as a factory option on Landmark only - at this time. You can contact Lippert to have Level Up installed as an after market item on most any Heartland 5th wheel coach.

Jim

check171
03-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Great Information Jim it sounds like the New System is nice i will definitly look into it .

Thanks again

skh
03-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Hello Jim,
Thanks for the conversation the other day. Made it to the Heartland factory while dealing with some other business in the area, very impressive and extremely friendly. We have ordered the Grand Canyon and the dealer thinks he can arrange with other units on the build schedule if necessary for it to be ready sometime the first week of May. They are now over 6 weeks out and have gone to a 6 day week as very busy. They had a run of Big Country on the line that day but a couple Landmarks around getting finished up.

Recovered from 25-May-2010
05-30-2010, 11:01 PM
JIm,
Nice unit...we're going to be fulltiming in a few years and looked at the Landmark Mt Rushmore and the Gand Canyon. The Mt Rushmore would work better for us! So we'll be trading in our 2010 Edge for a Landmark. I really wanted to stay with Heartland, the DW wasn't so sure. I explained that the factory handled the few issues ( first year run) without any issues, with the Edge being the "entry' level trailer, they could've ignored us but didn't. So a new fith wheel & tow vehicle is in our future. We will be getting the full body paint. I guess I like to stand out in a crowd:)

Recovered from 25-May-2010
05-31-2010, 07:46 AM
Jim
We were in Camden Maine about a week ago and saw a burgundy ( red) Landmark being towed with a red ford dually It was a sunny day and both units looked great shining in the sun .Wow what a great looking 5 ver There was just one man driving the truck so not sure where he was heading but it cruised thru town slowly 25 MPH .Anyway keep up the good looking Landmarks Heartland.
see you in Nashville
Bill

Barry Crocker
07-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Joyce and I bought one of these guys in May and we love it. looking forward to your post about the auto level system.

JohnDar
07-05-2010, 07:05 AM
There's a Grand Canyon parked down the road from us. Haven't been able to meet the owners yet, but it sure looks nice. The photos on HL's website are something.

seashellsandoveralls
11-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Hello!

As of last evening, we are the proud owners of a 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon! It's our first fifth wheel and we couldn't be happier. Our salesman encouraged us to join this forum and judging by the information I've already read, it was a good move.
Since we're brand new at this, we welcome your expertise and advice! We're excited about learning new things and making new friends!

Blessings,
Robert and Kathy
http://seashellsandoveralls.blogspot.com

2011 Landmark Grand Canyon
2008 3500 Chevy Duramax/Allison

jbeletti
11-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Robert and Kathy,

Congrats on your new rolling home :)

What dealership was it that suggested the forum to you?

Happy trails,

Jim

jimtoo
11-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Hi Robert and Kathy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a really great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

If you have a question, just ask. Someone will have and answer or direct you in the right direction for an answer. So jump in and enjoy your new unit.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

seashellsandoveralls
01-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Jim,
Sorry I'm just now replying...
RV's of Sacramento first suggested this forum. Lynette McHenry also suggested it.

Thanks,
Kathy

seashellsandoveralls
01-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks, Jim!
Sorry I'm just now replying.
I've already benefitted from this forum. You're right, there are a great bunch of folks here willing to share their knowledge with us newbies!
We love our Grand Canyon! Had an issue with the frig door coming open during travel. We'll be taking it to the dealership before we leave here for them to either fix it or get us a new door. Currently we have to bungee it so the doors won't come open...Hard to imagine this happening to a 2011 but that's the only thing we've had a problem with. Love the leveling system!

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
Kathy