Tire Pressures, where to fill

bigbird272

Just wondering where everyone tops up the air pressure in their tires. 110 lbs is a lot and of course necessary for those towing heavy trailers. With most service stations near me you would be lucky to obtain 80lbs out of the air pumps let alone 110. I guess truck stops would be the best bet?

Rick

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rick, I guess that you will have to invest in a compressor that will allow for greater air pressure. All of mine, including the cheapo portable that I carry along, are capable of well over 110 PSI.
I think the last thing I want to do is go to a truck stop for air. I don't even like going there for fuel. :)

Peace
Dave

bigbird272

I will try and get the one I have to do the job. Says it will do 120, but it has trouble even doing 80, so will see.

bigredtruck

we have a perpetually low tire on the Cyclone (it's on the honey do list). We stopped at 3 different service stations and a car dealer before going to Les Schwab. They had no problem and a huge bay to pull the rig through. I.m not sure if our portable compressor that takes up space in the garage can even do it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I use the 3-gallon Makita compressor that runs my brad and pin nailer. To get the tire pressure up, however, it is necessary to repeatedly activate the compressor to maximum (120 psi) by bleeding the tank and reattaching the chuck to the stem several times. Tedious, but I can get them to 110 psi in a few minutes. I filled them in May to 110 psi. In September, when I was getting ready to pull it home, they were at 100 before I topped them off again.

Home Depot had a small Husky compressor that supposedly goes to 135 psi. I don't know how well that one works at the higher pressures, though.

lwmcguir

Just wondering where everyone tops up the air pressure in their tires. 110 lbs is a lot and of course necessary for those towing heavy trailers. With most service stations near me you would be lucky to obtain 80lbs out of the air pumps let alone 110. I guess truck stops would be the best bet?

Rick

There was an earlier thread regarding 12V air compressors. We use one that cuts out at 135 and is adjustable as well. Works great for topping off the tires. We run 110 in the F550 as well so it was a handy item to have. You will pay around 250 dollars for a good one.

Two Hands

I have the Husky that goes to 135 psi, but I have to keep bleeding it just like JohnDar described. The first time I used it in that manner I was able to get 80 pounds into three tires fairly quickly, the fourth took a long, long time. The same happened the next time I used it and I finished on a different tire. It sometimes sounds and feels as though there is a bad seal between the tire stems and the nozzel on the compressor. I bought the compressor new and I really don't like it, but it may just be me.

caissiel

I have a small 12 volt compressore that I top off the tires to 110LBS, but my 2 garage 120 V compressors will not take the tires past 100PSI. There is a post that I mentioned about placing a 12V weatherproof connection by the wheels to be able to plug one of these compressor.
My old compressor most be at least 10 years old and still going strong, and capable of 150PSI.
There are rechargeble battery operated units to, but I am not sure how long they would hold the charge at the higher pressures.

2010augusta

Here is a link to our solution. We do have the on board Genset, so on the road fill up are no problem.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=8350

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Could someone please direct me to the thread that discusses the 12 Volt air compressor. We store our rig in a tow yard and when we first prepare to leave, it's easy to check the air pressure of all tires. The problem is that since there is no electrical outlets there, we have no way to top off the tires. Of course, once we are in a campground, plugging in our 110 compressor is easy and can complete the job. It just seems the answer is to obtain that 12 volt compressor. The real puzzle is how would you connect the 12 volt to your truck or rig, to obtain power to do the initial job. I would like to know where and what price this product is available. Even on the side of the road, there is no electricity available so in case there is a leak, a 12 volt could top off a problematic tire temporarily until you reach a gas station or your next campground destination. This problem has puzzled me for almost 2 years. Please advise.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Larry,
take a look at this thread. It may be helpful and at least point you in the right direction.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=13682&highlight=compressor

The 12 volts kits that include a tank and compressor etc are not cheap. But if you scrounge around a truck junkyard you can come up with a small (3 gallon or so)cheap air tank.
Google 12 volt compressors and you get a wide variety of compressors. Pay attention to the specs-eg, PSI and CFM. Here is a good article about 12 volts.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/62758_12_volt_air_compressor_guide/index.html

Depending on your needs, if you do it this way, you might end up with less than half of what a kit costs. Maybe Bob can help with the install?

Hope this helps.

trvlrerik

I had the same problem with tire air inflation, after a lot of research and getting forum advice I got a Sears 3 gallon, 120 volt, oil cooled compressor (model 15310). The price was right around $150.

It will fill my 80 psi tires faster than my 150 gallon Ingersol Rand shop compressor, and it fits neatly into my front generator compartment. I did run a 120v outlet into the comparment so no extension cord is needed when the generator is the only power source

I liked it so much, I got another one for my work trailer to use for air tools. It is not rated by Sears for this extreme duty, but after 6 months it is still the compressor everybody grabs first.

JohnDar

Here is a link to our solution. We do have the on board Genset, so on the road fill up are no problem.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=8350

Alan, does that compressor actually put out a consistent 120 psi or do you have to milk it up to pressure when topping off at 110 psi? The problem seems to be when you get over 100 psi in the tire, the drop in the compressor tank is not enough to activate it automatically. Thus the repeated dumping via the relief valve.

So far, for me at the storage yard before hauling it, I can borrow a 2.5K portable generator from the FD to power my little compressor.

2010augusta

Alan, does that compressor actually put out a consistent 120 psi or do you have to milk it up to pressure when topping off at 110 psi? The problem seems to be when you get over 100 psi in the tire, the drop in the compressor tank is not enough to activate it automatically. Thus the repeated dumping via the relief valve.

It will stay running all the way to 125psi, but will not start up again until ~95psi. I just bleed off the pressure before I start a tire and keep filling until I know I am above 110, then fine tune the pressure with my gauge.

The 80 gallon standing compressor I had at home would kick on at 125, but it was rated at 175psi.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I use my Viair compressor that powers my train horns in my V-Box tool box. When it was installed, I put in an air chuck so I can air up my tires and anyone within 30' of the tool box. I don't have anything over 80PSI on my truck or trailer, but the pump is rated for 145 lbs.

trvlrerik

I work with a lot of pump control motors, having said that, it is usually pretty easy to get into the high limit box controlling when the compressor turns off/on. On most compressors there are two screws under the black plastic cover on the limit switch, with these you can adjust the high limit and startup pressures. I set all of my compressors to turn on at 85psi as to never starve tools. You can even turn the high limit switch to run right up to the model limit as most are turned down by the manufacturer for liability concerns.

I do urge caution to not run a compressor higher than it is rated for even though the pop off valve should protect it. I see a lot of pressure relief valves stick. Most compressors are limited by the brass fittings and copper tube connecting the compressor to the tank. These lines are often the first thing to fail.

Adjusting the compressor start pressure will allow filling high pressure tires without having to manually bleed the compressor.

I hope this is usefull information for the forum.

caissiel

I had a compressor that would not start at higher starting point. Still not sure if it was faulty though.

JohnDar

It will stay running all the way to 125psi, but will not start up again until ~95psi. I just bleed off the pressure before I start a tire and keep filling until I know I am above 110, then fine tune the pressure with my gauge.

The 80 gallon standing compressor I had at home would kick on at 125, but it was rated at 175psi.

Yup, we're doing it the same way, then. But it "Gits-r-Done" as they say and I don't need a second small compressor.

aatauses

I have the husky and have no problems getting it to inflate to 110 and it also works great on the TV. the only issue I have is that it weighs about 25 lbs. I really wanted to get a dewalt one gallon, but never could find one locally to actually put my hands on it so settled for the husky after I watched another RVer use his.
al