Modify BH 3670RL hamper area.

back2nature

We are seriously looking at the 3670RL to purchase. Since our traveling companions are two cats, we are trying to figure out where to discreetly put the litter box. The salesman suggested removing the small firewall on the aft side of the basement (where the laundry hamper is located from the inside). Then putting in a small pet door, inside, to the left of the stairs, where the central vac inlet would be (if installed, but not). What is below that hamper area? Could we put the litter box in that area, allowing access, for cleaning, from the large cargo door? Would we run into any problems there?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We are seriously looking at the 3670RL to purchase. Since our traveling companions are two cats, we are trying to figure out where to discreetly put the litter box. The salesman suggested removing the small firewall on the aft side of the basement (where the laundry hamper is located from the inside). Then putting in a small pet door, inside, to the left of the stairs, where the central vac inlet would be (if installed, but not). What is below that hamper area? Could we put the litter box in that area, allowing access, for cleaning, from the large cargo door? Would we run into any problems there?

If you put a pet door in the space between the kitchen cabinet and steps, then you'll need to also build some kind of enclosure that leads only to the litter box. Otherwise, your cat(s?) will be able to crawl into the underbelly. Not a good thing. If I recall correctly, there is nothing under the laundry bin. Our central vac outlet was installed in the bottom step riser, not the wall. I put our litter box between the step and the cabinet. Works fine. I can readily see if it's been used and scoop it out. "Discreet?" If anyone has a problem with my cats, then they have a problem with me. One thing I've found in my "visitations" to other people's homes is that when they hide the litter box, they tend to neglect it. Then blame the cat for doing it's business wherever it can.

back2nature

If you put a pet door in the space between the kitchen cabinet and steps, then you'll need to also build some kind of enclosure that leads only to the litter box. Otherwise, your cat(s?) will be able to crawl into the underbelly. Not a good thing. If I recall correctly, there is nothing under the laundry bin. Our central vac outlet was installed in the bottom step riser, not the wall. I put our litter box between the step and the cabinet. Works fine. I can readily see if it's been used and scoop it out. "Discreet?" If anyone has a problem with my cats, then they have a problem with me. One thing I've found in my "visitations" to other people's homes is that when they hide the litter box, they tend to neglect it. Then blame the cat for doing it's business wherever it can.

Thanks for your input. Yeah, the 2010 and 2011 have the central vac input on the wall next to the stairs. I guess different from yours. That's what we were wondering, what is down there? Are there any pipes or ducting in the way? You are saying it would be open to the whole underbelly? Okay, we could built walls to seal it off. I got photos from someone on the forum that had a pet door put in the bottom of the linen cupboard in the bedroom and cats steps that led down to the basement. The cats had the whole basement for a playpen. So we were thinking of a wall-off area like that. We didn't want to put a hole in our cupboard, so we were thinking of something else. When you mentioned neglecting litter box, at first I thought you were talking about me (the box cleaner) but then thought you were talking about the cats. hehe. I've been trying some new litterboxes, at home, and have been moving them around, and the cats (2) think it's really fun. They seem to like doing it in a new place. So they might be okay with it. I know it would have to be easy to get to.

JohnDar

Thanks for your input. Yeah, the 2010 and 2011 have the central vac input on the wall next to the stairs. I guess different from yours. That's what we were wondering, what is down there? Are there any pipes or ducting in the way? You are saying it would be open to the whole underbelly? Okay, we could built walls to seal it off. I got photos from someone on the forum that had a pet door put in the bottom of the linen cupboard in the bedroom and cats steps that led down to the basement. The cats had the whole basement for a playpen. So we were thinking of a wall-off area like that. We didn't want to put a hole in our cupboard, so we were thinking of something else. When you mentioned neglecting litter box, at first I thought you were talking about me (the box cleaner) but then thought you were talking about the cats. hehe. I've been trying some new litterboxes, at home, and have been moving them around, and the cats (2) think it's really fun. They seem to like doing it in a new place. So they might be okay with it. I know it would have to be easy to get to.

My comment about neglecting the litter box was based on some of the homes I've been in for various fire calls, not directed at you personally. The last one was a bit of a mini-mansion (false reading on CO detector). Three cats and two small boxes in the basement corner with litter (what there was of it) the consistency of concrete. Had to step carefully, if you know what I mean. I couldn't resist, so I gave the person a bit of a verbal lesson on cat care. She had the "deer in the headlights" look. Just don't like seeing animals, especially cats, mistreated.

But, yes, the wall in the kitchen, if you put a door in there, will allow them to get into the underbelly since it is behind the basement walls. Once you pull a wall section in the basement, you'll know what I mean. If you want to give them the basement for a play area, you will need to make some kind of enclosure from the kitchen wall to the basement wall so they can't get down there. It's probably a distance of about four feet between the two walls. And then, naturally, you'll have to be careful what you put in the basement, too. If they're like mine, everything is a toy and it belongs to them. The converter on mine is mounted right behind that wall, and there is a mess of electrical wire. There is plumbing back there, but should not be a problem.

As for the central vac outlet, we had ours installed by the dealer, it was not OEM. They put it in the step riser. In some of the photos I've seen where it's installed by HL, they do put them in the wall. At first I was confused as to why the dealer did that to mine, but now I'm glad they did. Even so, it would not have been a big deal to move the litter box when we needed to vacuum.

back2nature

My comment about neglecting the litter box was based on some of the homes I've been in for various fire calls, not directed at you personally. The last one was a bit of a mini-mansion (false reading on CO detector). Three cats and two small boxes in the basement corner with litter (what there was of it) the consistency of concrete. Had to step carefully, if you know what I mean. I couldn't resist, so I gave the person a bit of a verbal lesson on cat care. She had the "deer in the headlights" look. Just don't like seeing animals, especially cats, mistreated.

Our cats are so spoiled, it's ridiculous. There are some people that shouldn't have any pets.

The converter on mine is mounted right behind that wall, and there is a mess of electrical wire. There is plumbing back there, but should not be a problem.
You may have answered some of our questions here. We were wondering what's down there. I guess we will just have to wait till we get the unit and take off the wall and see. We thought if we could have room for the litter box and build a screened wall with a hinged door, for access, they would be safe from the rest of the basement and I could still get in there to clean, from the outside cargo door. If the area is open to the underbelly, we could make a wall on that side, to close it off to the cats. These are just some thoughts we were having. Our companions are so important to us, it makes a difference which floorplan we get. We think the 3670RL will work out fine for this. At first we were thinking of the floor of the W/D area, but we will be fulltiming and need all the closet we can get. Thanks.

aatauses

We have 2 cats and downsized their litter box to fit in the bathroom (we also have a 3670) and we have no issues and neither do they. It get cleaned at least once/day and sometimes twice. the bathroom is large enough.
al

JohnDar

We have 2 cats and downsized their litter box to fit in the bathroom (we also have a 3670) and we have no issues and neither do they. It get cleaned at least once/day and sometimes twice. the bathroom is large enough.
al

We did, too, at first. But our box is on the larger side to accommodate Max's big keister. This is what it looked like when we had it there.

2010augusta

Just a bit of a random thought from a former cat owner here, but what about putting one in the empty space behind the recliners?

There is at least 18" back there when the chairs are pulled out enough to clear the wall window and valance when fully reclined.

We keep a dog bed back there and the dogs love it.

back2nature

But our box is on the larger side to accommodate Max's big keister.

Haha. We have one with a big keister too. The other guy is skinny.

Thanks for the suggestions, but hubby will not go for the box in the bathroom. We need to be more creative with this project.

back2nature

Just a bit of a random thought from a former cat owner here, but what about putting one in the empty space behind the recliners?

I don't know about your former cat, but ours aren't "oderless". We're still trying to work on the idea of an entrance to the basement. We haven't ordered our BH yet, maybe in the spring, so we will have to wait. In the meantime, I'm trying to stop hubby from going to the sales lot and unscrewing the firewall on the model there.

back2nature

I started this thread in the Ask the Factory area, because I wanted to know what was behind the firewall of the basement and under the floor by the inside stairs. Any wires or ducting? What's down there?

It seems because I mentioned that we wanted to put a litterbox there, this thread took a turn to traveling with pets and it got moved there. Hm-m-m. I'll have to be more careful on my choice of words in the future.

JohnDar

One of the benefits of not starting a post in an Ask The Factory section is that any replies get posted immediately. In Ask The Factory, they need to be reviewed by the moderators before they're added. Sometimes that can take a while.

As for hubby pulling a basement wall off at the dealer's lot, why not? If they're looking for a sale, it's only a matter of removing a few screws to let him take a look. Can't hurt to ask. When I did our PDI, I borrowed the tech's cordless driver and pulled it myself (he was a big guy).

back2nature

One of the benefits of not starting a post in an Ask The Factory section is that any replies get posted immediately. In Ask The Factory, they need to be reviewed by the moderators before they're added. Sometimes that can take a while.

Thank you.

jbeletti

b2n,

You've received some great feedback here. Hope you are able to use it to make a best-fit decision for your furry friend :)

Myself and my moderators routinely move threads out of the ATF (Ask The Factory) forums. Typically after they have been answered - and not necessarily by factory personnel. If we feel a customers have provided adequate responses, it will trigger the thread move to a place that will best serve a wider audience for the long haul - better than leaving it in the ATFs. Take no offense to the move. You did just fine. Just us here doing housekeeping.

For my own 2 cents, there is a LOT or wiring and plumbing under the main floor, especially in the area immediately behind that aft storage wall. Lots of stuff for kitty to get tangled in or chew on if it is so inclined. And worse if it wanders back into the underbelly area and gets trapped. That said, with the better part of the day by a very hand person, enough of a space may be able to be cleared out by relocating wiring, plumbing and stuff to make an area for the box and allow it to be removed from the storage side. I've seen Heartland owners do some pretty amazing modifications. Best of luck to you, welcome to the forum and happy camping.

Jim

back2nature

Thanks so much for the great replies. No offense taken on being moved.

There is no way we want the "furrballs" to go where they shouldn't. We are very handy here, and not afraid to roll up our sleeves. That being said, I guess we will have to wait at see when we get the unit. I just posted this thread on the forum to get some valuable ideas from the other owners here. I know a lot of them had the same issue.

Thanks.

jbeletti

b2n,

Check out the attached pics. One of the coolest "finding extra space" mods I've seen done by a Heartlander.

Randy (rhwusa) from Texas did this in his Landmark. He removed the aft wall, relocated items from the drop floor in the center area, up to the next level, then built a niched in area in that space, added a felt covered sliding door and viola!

Now, if you could open up that wall, move stuff around as needed to open up floor space, add the sliding door but not push it back, rather, leave that opened up floor space for kitty's litter box - it may work. You'd need to wall off the corridor from the kitty door to the litter box and around the box but maybe - just maybe...

Good luck,

Jim

Attachments

• CIMG2914_sm.jpg
    CIMG2914_sm.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 53
  • CIMG2921_sm.jpg
    CIMG2921_sm.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 55

back2nature

Great pictures. Thanks. Yeah, that is something we were talking about with the dealer, but a little bit more to the left of the sliding door in those pictures . His setup looks nice and finished. Like that. We would have to relocated the electrical outlet, which looks like it is just installed on the wall for support. It looked easy to relocate to a new wall.

Great ideas coming from this forum.