Firestone Ride Rite

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
Just got my Ride Rite kit delivered to my house this morning. Very nice product. With the wind chill factor it is -34 C :eek: here this morning soooooo I think I won't be putting it on for a while yet:D.

Rick

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Duane, at -34C I wouldnt care what it came with. Even dancing girls would have on woolies and a parka. :D:D

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
Rick,
I've been looking at same but haven't bought yet! Did you get the wireless, maybe you'd share some of your price shopping?
I'm looking for compresser large enough to do tires, air bags in hitch etc., any thoughts would be appreciated.

trvlrerik

I have a question about air lines. I have the Firestone air bags (no compressor) and they were installed with separate air lines to each side independantly. I have always had it on my list of "things to mess with" to run both bags on one line so they were always equal in pressure.

I never have so much weight in the truck to need separate pressures, are there any other reasons not to put both bags on one air line?

caissiel

My 1st comment would be because of sway control, when the truck would be leaning the air would go to the lighter side.
In a long curve it would possibly affect the control of the truck.
An Isolation valve between the 2 would create that control and allow the both to be inflated at the same time.
But again as a safety measure the valve should never be left open while driving.

porthole

Retired
Two separate line is better then the isolation valve.

You already have the best setup for the reason "Caissiel" posted.

Bob&Patty

Guys, my only thought on this is...if you have a problem with one bag going flat. Then what, you still have the same problem with the TV being unbalanced or leaning to one side. "Catch 22" I guess.

Paul_in_MN

I have the Firestone bags in the front suspension of my 86 Dodge snowplow truck. They take a real licking and have serious rust on the mounting plates, but neither one has ever gone flat. Due to the rust problem, the left one has a slow leak, dropping about 15 psi/day. With the contractor size (& weight) blade, plus the weight of the snow/ice hanging on the blade, I only need a max of 45 psi. So I air up before doing my 30 plowing accounts and never have to worry about it after that.

The front bags have separate air supply lines to eliminate the progressive lean of the truck at highway speed going around a curve. Rear bags need to be isolated for the same reason, but may be even more of a problem with the high hitch weight and high center of gravity of our 5ers.

Paul_in_MN

Bob&Patty

Paul makes a good point. A one way check valve would be great...except how would you let the air out?

Northern Virginia
I have the Firestone air bags and I tee'd them together. I have never noticed any sway. My thought is, at highway speed you never turn sharper than a few degrees and at slower speeds any weight shift is imperceptible.

Last summer the air line on the passenger side got too close to the exhaust pipe and melted. Both air bags went flat together (which in my opinion gave me better contol versus losing just one bag.)

John

porthole

Retired
Guys, my only thought on this is...if you have a problem with one bag going flat. Then what, you still have the same problem with the TV being unbalanced or leaning to one side. "Catch 22" I guess.

Then you drain the good bag.

We probably can't load our trucks off center enough to really matter and the the thing on turns could be an issue, and it could compound.

Either side of the equation I'll stick with two bags and two air lines, and with the new wireless controller it makes life simpler (although not as simple as not having air bags)

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Those of you with the Firestones...did you install yourself and is it an easy DIY project? Any issues I should watch for?

Thanks!

Rrloren

I installed my own and found it pretty easy. Simple tools , no drilling.
When not needed be sure to keep a couple lbs. of air in them , I didn't and they loosened a little after a couple weeks and had to be retightened.
I did mine in the garage without lifting the truck.

PUG

Pug
I had firestone air bags on my duramax 2500 and connected them together with a t fitting. It worked fine with no noticeable sway on curves. I ended up putting the compressor on it with cab control. Only way to go.

Northern Virginia
Those of you with the Firestones...did you install yourself and is it an easy DIY project? Any issues I should watch for?

Thanks!

I think it took about 2 1/2 hours per side. I jacked the truck up and removed the tires which made it much easier. Very straight forward installation and clear instructions. On my 2008, there wasn't any drilling.

This is the first truck I have had air bags on. Now that I have them, I wouldn't be without them. Kinda they way I feel about a diesel truck too;)

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
Lots of great info guys.... appreciate it! I'm been looking at all kinds of air suspensions including the firestone ride rite.
I haven't put the airbags on yet but it's a must this year I want to put on a compressor that be will work with the suspension and the airbags in my airhitch( firestones) as well as provide emergency air for tires.
Any suggestions?

truknutt

Committed Member

Thanks!

To make it really easy, Firestone has "No Drilling Required" kits for some applications; maybe your truck qualifies. Firestone Catalog

Crap, just saw Newbie's response about the No Drill Kits. Oh well, here's the catalog link anyway.