WiFi Antenna Amplifier

Boca_Shuffles

I bought a great little product for use in campgrounds that have limited range WiFi. This is a small antenna/amplifier that connects to your laptop or PC via a USB cable.

I bought it because I have been in campgrounds where I had to go sit at some picnic table in the park because I couldn't get a signal within my BH. The problem was compounded because I then couldn't see the display because of the sun or it was cold and rainy.

This unit might also let you get the free WiFi of that coffee shop that is across the street from the campground.

This unit might also get into your friend's WiFi (with his permission) even though they parked in the site on the other side of the campground.

The cost is $59 and the shipping is fast.

Here is the site:
http://www.hfield.com/

beardedone

Beardedone
Sounds like a good idea. Could you post a little more detail on your success with it. For instance any experimentation you may have done at a site where you tried to connect and then connected this new device. i.e., the before and after success? Any more info would be great. thank you,

SilverRhino

Please keep us posted as you use this product....looks like it could really come in handy while on the road.

Thanks for sharing!

Boca_Shuffles

Sounds like a good idea. Could you post a little more detail on your success with it. For instance any experimentation you may have done at a site where you tried to connect and then connected this new device. i.e., the before and after success? Any more info would be great. thank you,

The Wi-Fire increased the range of my WiFi search and showed me about twice as many network ports as I had before using the product. They advertise a Range up to 1,000 feet and it seemed to do as well as advertised.

I am in a large RV park in Mesa, AZ for the winter. Unfortunately, my wifi problem turned out to be one of WiFi capacity rather than network signal. With this product, I can get on three times as many access points around the park, but the WiFi itself doesn't have enough throughput capacity to handle this many users. My final solution was to get a cable modem through the local cable provider.

However, this product worked so well that I decided to keep it for the travels to and from Michigan and Arizona. I had too many times when the RV parks provided WiFi, but you had limited range. This product seems to work as advertised.

A benefit of this unit is that it will continue attempt to log onto the desired network. My Powerbook G4 will try about three times and then time out. You then have to retry the network. The Wi-Fire will continue to log on without your intervention.

This unit will extend your range. It will not increase the capacity of the WiFi. The major advantage of this unit is for campgrounds that only have one transmission point, and it is not near your site.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks for the add-on info, Tom. I was wondering if it helped with speed, but obviously it does not. At the CG where we stay for the summer, one of the WiFi repeater antennas is across the street from me. I noticed a slow down in mid-summer when the park was fairly full, but could still connect just using the wireless adapter built into my laptop.

At home, we've got cable and use a wireless router so both of us can connect. Didn't have a cable outlet put in the room the wife now uses for her PC back when we built this place. Hindsight, yeah, my head was up there.

SmokeyBare

After what seems to be a continuing problem staying connected to RV Park's WiFi system, I purchased a WiFi Adapter made by Net-Gear. This replaces what comes built into my Laptop. I only need to switch off the internal WiFi and plug the new Adapter into a USB port. It's Called " Range Max WN 111v2 Wireless Adapter " It has really made a difference with connecting and staying connected to a RV Parks WiFi. Found it on E-Bay and at a very good price, less than half what I would have paid for it in one of the Computer stores. Comes with a short USB Cable and it can be plugged into a Router IF you have a USB input on the Router.

jdcarp2001

Tempus, thanks for the site. I use a Wilson antenna and router for my Air Card and Cell phone but it does not take long to use up my date. Good site and looks like what I want.

PUG

Pug
I purchased a Wilson Amplifier (http://www.alternativewireless.com/...ignalboost-universal-amplifier-dual-band.html) from Alternative wireless about a year ago for something like $170. Sounds pricey but it is worth the money. I am currently sitting at the South end of Redfish Lake near Stanley Idaho. Where I am setting is surrounded by 10 k mtns and is about 5 miles from Stanley where there is a Cell site (over one very high mtn and one shorter one. Without the amp I get one half of a bar and that translates into very marginal service. With the amp I get 4 bars and excellent service.

My cabin is about three miles further out and over another set of hills and after adding a yaggi antenna up a tree about 40 feet I got again marginal service. With the amp 4 bars again. At either place with the amp my laptop is about worthless except to play solitaire. Works like a champ as you can see.

Basically you have this small antenna that like right now is stuck with a magnet to my anchor. It comes inside the cabin, into the amp which is plugged into a DC plugin (runs on AC also_ from there it plugs into my cell phone that has a mobile hotspot (wifi) and wirelessly to my laptop. Works great also while going down the road in your pickup or in your RV if you are staying someplace with spotty service.

Do I need to say more? I have purchased several items from these folks and they have been great for advice and service.

I highly suggest the Alfa wifi boosters. I bought mine on Amazon for $35 dollars. The value is unbelievable. It greatly improves the signal strength and even picks up many signals internal laptop card couldn't reach. I wouldn't be without it. I'm using it now. Many wifi boosters and antennas are $100-$200. This is only $35. It simply plugs into a usb port and replaces your internal wireless card. It even comes with a window mount for even better reception. I was skeptical at first, but it really works

Here is link to the one I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0R9KAXPY5R81CRV27TMN

Get the 1000 MW for b/g routers. The 2000MW b/g/n has problems and keeps diconnecting. (read the reviews on amazon.)

Even has free shipping....feel free to ask me questions.

Last edited: