What Radio are you using?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
While getting ready to roll this spring, one of the things I found out was, we didn't have is a good portable raido.

When I joined the Navy, my parents sent me a Sharp portable raido. This was a really good one. Infact it was so good that one of my shipmates took it with him when he was transferred off the ship.

I was wanting to get one to carry with us and use in the trailer.

What is your experience with todays brands. I am not talking about a weather broadcast raido. I to take it with us when driving around.

Got any suggestions? Where did you get it?

BC

Two Hands

I really like my Grundig S350. Great reception and especially easy on the batteries. I have had it several years but it still has that great new radio smell.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I got digging around and found the following.
Sony ICF-38. It has an 80hr battery life as well..

It can be purchased on line or at Best Buy.

Also found a review of the radio at Test Freeks website. This is a cool website too.

Any have this radio.. Any suggestions?

BC

RubiconAg

Well we kinda moved out of the FM realm and purchased a Bose portable IPOD docking station. This thing produces the most amazing sound and esily fills the inside of the trailer with sound or out on a picnic bench.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Yep.. we have an IPod that we can play through the trucks radio. But I am wanting something I can take with me to listen to local radio broadcasts for weather and news.

Twohands
I like the Grundig S350 you recommended but it is $a100 radio. Has shortwave and such. A little more than I want to spend. The Sony comes with great reviews. Only wish I could get the weather band on it..

Thanks
BC

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
TX-

Take a look at Radio Shack. They have two AM/FM Weatherband radios for around $30.00 One is battery operated and the other is AC/battery.

wdk450

Sattelite Radio?

I have a compact Shortwave I bought on E-Bay, but love my XM Satellite radio the most. Why??? I HATE COMMERCIALS WHEN I AM LISTENING TO MUSIC, and I enjoy following a musical genre (classical, big band, 60's) for a while. You can find complete reciever setups on E-Bay for $39, and the monthly fee is something like $15. There are about 200 audio channels.
I have a portable "My-FI" model, and have a docking cradle in the truck, another in the trailer (I pass the antenna wire through a window - receiver can be easily hooked to the sound system), and even a headset with the satellite antenna built in, I use during exercise walks.
There are channels that have audiobook readings, or old time radio shows, that seem to make time fly on long drives. There is sports coverage of every baseball and NFL game (or every NBA game if you are on Sirius). There is also continous news on CNN, MSNBC and others.
The receiver can also record about an hour of programming for use travelling in canyons or roads with heavy overhead forestation that might block the satellite signal.

rvn4fun

I agree with above post, I hate commercials too. I have had sattelite radio for years and have the boombox for outside listening too. In fact I plug my boombox into my outside 12 volt outlet with a little inverter and with our solar roof panels I let the sun provide the power to run our radio. For weather I turn on our weather radio.