MARVAC Spring Detroit (Novi) RV Show

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The spring show for the Detroit area is Feb. 10 thru 14. We're thinking about going down on the 10th just to look around and see what's new. Might smack my right hand with a hammer before we go so I can't sign anything.:D

ricatic

We are planning to go as well. Do not know which day. I just want to do something associated with camping

Ricatic

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
we are also planning on going and if not buying at least knowing what we are going to buy

Bobby A

The show is usually a good one, thats where we first fell in love with our 3580 BH, we normally go every year however we are in Fl. and unable to attend this year, I'm still trying to get over how big the Tampa show was a few weeks back. I have never been to an RV show that requires 2 days to go through it.

Last edited:

Rmcgrath53

We are going with 2 other families. I want to compare lay outs .And money difference between brands of simular layouts and options. No not ready to buy till 6/2012

JohnDar

We decided to hold off until tomorrow, Thursday. Had to dig out of our "Snowageddon," all measly 9" of it. I swear, you'd think some of these local newsies are reporting from another planet the way they soil themselves over a little snow. This is Michigan. It DOES snow here, sometimes a lot. Or at least it used to. Heck, I had the drive cleared in about an hour, including cleaning off my truck. Even though schools were closed (hard to walk in snow wearing flip-flops), the city cleared the streets and salted before I even went outside.

JohnDar

Well, we made it to the Detroit area RV show yesterday. Managed to crawl around many 5'er's, along with peeking in a couple of TT and some Class A monsters. General RV had the biggest presence there, and was the only Heartland displayer. Looked in the Greystone, the Elkridge, Sundance, and naturally, the Big Horn. They had a new 3670 on display, so we had to look that over. Looking at the way the bedroom was modified to incorporate a W/D closet, I'm glad we got the original floor plan. Not only did they chop off 1/3 of the dresser, they also eliminated the cabinet near the head of the bed (that's where my clothes go!) Other than the slam doors, not too much different elsewhere. Actually, of all the 5'er's we looked at, the 3670 still wins hands down for floor plan.

I also noticed that the UDC's for the Greystone, Elkridge, and Sundance don't have the valving for bypassing the water heater during winterizing. So, pulling the basement wall is required to get at the bypass valves??

Two SOB models had sliding rear basement walls. One was screwed shut, so I couldn't play with it. Looked a bit chinsy, anyways. The other had double aluminum tracks on the floor and ceiling of the basement and the panels moved easily. Gave me an idea on how to modify mine.

I asked a General rep if our salesperson was working the show, but he told me that she had moved on. Lo and behold, if we're not poking around another dealer's displays and there she is. Had a nice chat. Mentioned that the company she's with is opening a store in Gaylord, MI, soon. And that they are considering taking on the HL line.

Something I don't recall seeing at past shows was Camping World having an area selling accessories. They were at this show. Most of the items they had, I either have, don't need, or don't want. But, the did have folding Papa-san chairs. Once my bottom hit it, the credit card came out. Picked up a folding aluminum table, too. Mor-Ryde was there, also, so I stopped and talked to them a bit.

Rmcgrath53

Just got home from the show. I saw a sweet looking cameo and a cedar creek I saw the bighorn wish there were more like a big country and a Landmark
I was very impresed with the cameo a brand new layout that was just built a couple weeks ago was there. Its a 37cksls its not in their literature.It had a slide from the bed to the counter top at the kitchen. I liked the open range also lighter and modern. I was hoping to see Landmark, bighorn and big country. O well when I upgrade it is going to be tough with the cameo,landmark,neck and neck for me.

JohnDar

We missed the Cameo's, wife was getting tired. Back when we were first getting the 5'er bug, we looked at a couple at a dealer in Alanson. They were nicely done.

Tom of Ypsi

John, Tha sales person wouldn't be Edna Grecco? She was our sales person when we lived in Mi. Also the "Classic" Landmarks have that sliding rear basement wall. Sure makes things easier to get at your plumbing under there and you would be surprised at how much storage there is back there also.

Surprised to hear that National RV was not at the show they did real good last Oct. General probably felt the competition and bought up more floor plan to keep them out because there prices are far lower than they are.

JohnDar

John, Tha sales person wouldn't be Edna Grecco? She was our sales person when we lived in Mi. Also the "Classic" Landmarks have that sliding rear basement wall. Sure makes things easier to get at your plumbing under there and you would be surprised at how much storage there is back there also.

Surprised to hear that National RV was not at the show they did real good last Oct. General probably felt the competition and bought up more floor plan to keep them out because there prices are far lower than they are.

No, our saleswoman was Lisa Kesselring. She's now with International RV World in Bay City. Actually, National RV was at the show, they had the Elkridge on display. That's who I got the Elkridge brouchure from. Just so I'd be an "informed" poster, I picked up a brouchure on any Heartland 5'er I could find one on. It surprised me that there were no Landmarks on display (unless it was in the corner we missed). With some of the megabucks Class A's on display, there should not have been a concern about being out of the market price range.

Rmcgrath53

No, our saleswoman was Lisa Kesselring. She's now with International RV World in Bay City. Actually, National RV was at the show, they had the Elkridge on display. That's who I got the Elkridge brouchure from. Just so I'd be an "informed" poster, I picked up a brouchure on any Heartland 5'er I could find one on. It surprised me that there were no Landmarks on display (unless it was in the corner we missed). With some of the megabucks Class A's on display, there should not have been a concern about being out of the market price range.

It seemed like there was more motor homes than ther were fifth wheels.

K

Kevin_Finn

The Grand Canyon floorplan in the Landmark is very similar to the Cameo floorplan that was mentioned. We choose to add a little more structural support and not make it a complete full wall slide. With the added support we feel we will have less warranty issues. I hope you enjoy the changes for 2011.

Rmcgrath53

Yes these Cameo full wall is cool but lately a couple guys on the RV.net site have complained that the wall in the middle is 1 and 1/2 inches out of wack.