Alternate Freshwater Sanitizing - No Draining?

wdk450

Gang:
I am getting my rig ready fro a short week away next week. I do not winterize here in the Sacramento area. I did a Google search and came up with this alternative method on the "RV Basics" website that seems to require no draining, and in fact, can be repeated every time the tank is filled. What do you think of this? Does anyone do this?

"
The way I Sanitize My RV's Fresh Water Tank.

A friend and fellow full time RVer, Bill Randolph told me how he uses something other than household bleach which works well for him and I also started using it. I think is worth passing on to you. Before he retired, Bill spent twenty years in the swimming pool business. He's an expert when it comes to sanitizing swimming pools and spas and says the same rules apply to RV fresh water systems.
Bill uses Chlorinating Concentrate (Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetricone or Sodium Dichlor for short). Sodium Dichlor contains 62% available chlorine. Compare that to household bleach which has something close to 3%. One pound of Sodium Dichlor is equal to 8 gallons of bleach! Also, household bleach contains other stuff, including a lot of salt, and that salt and other stuff is what causes the bad taste and why you have to flush the fresh water tank so well.
Bill says it takes only 1 teaspoon of the concentrate per 100 gallons of water to initially sanitize the system. Remember to run water through all the faucets. After that, just a half teaspoon per 100 gallons with each refill will keep the tank fresh.
Like most of us, Bill travels with a near empty tank to reduce weight so when he arrives at park where he plans to stay for a while he drops a half teaspoon of the concentrate into the fill tube and fills his water tank. This insures the system will always be sanitized.
This is not a case where more is better. This stuff is concentrated and it's best to use just what Bill recommends.
Because Chlorinating Concentrate is so highly concentrated you only need to carry a small container. And it is dry crystals so there is less chance of a spill. However, because it is so concentrated it is highly corrosive so you do have to be careful how you store it and use it. You should be able to find Chlorinating Concentrate at any pool supplies or spa store. Bill says there are several brands to choose from. "

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This sounds like it's worth looking into. Where we are now there are many pool &spa accessory places so it should be easy to find. Thanks!

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
having a pool in my yard i don't know why i never thought of that. Great Idea

caissiel

Works well, I use to use it when we had the pool. You realy have to make sure it is well mixed or deluted. I used pool shoke in liquid form to. Available also but in diluted form.
But Bleach is much more easily available because we use it for much more application and safer.