Dealer gives up Bighorn

ChopperBill

Talking with my dealer yesterday I found rumors true that they have given up their Bighorn dealership. :( Told me they would take care of me and are sure someone will pick it up right away. I know the dealer next to them is a Sundance and Landmark dealer already. Problems dealing with internet wholesale dealers of various reasons prompted them make this decision.
Cant say as I blame them. I work for a Cub Cadet and Troy Bilt, now owned by White Outdoor, dealer. It is a secondary line for us. The White Outdoor company has given all the CC and TB lines to Lowe's and Home Depot. Guess who is selling the most products while our inventory remains stagnant? Yep, those guys. And our prices are pretty darn close! Guess where Lowe's and Home Depot send folks for their warranty? Guessed right again! Guess who isn't going to do their stinking warranty! Right again. Guess who the customer is mad at? Gee! Four correct answers in a row! One more guessing game question. Guess who is going to give up there complete White Outdoor product line up? Five in a row. Great job folks!

on edit: Forgot to ask the last question. Where are those owners going to get their parts and future service? Guess you can't answer that one!

Last edited:

nhunter

This problem has been coming for years. You can buy motorcycle tires off of the net but unless you can put them on yourself, your in trouble because no dealers will. There is a car dealership in central Alberta that under cuts everyones prices but when you need service some where else the joke is on you and I can't say I blame them. There is something to be said for shopping at home and not have to drive 1000 miles to get service.If you don't support the local guy he may not be there one day!

Trap

The problem is that these internet sales drive the conmsumer crazy with how much they can save (me included). Part of the problem is that the dealers may have to become a little more honest in there pricing structure. When we first started looking at the bighorns the local dealer wanted 10k more for the 3400RL over the 3055RL. That seemed awfull high to me. When I checked prices at RV's For Less they only wanted 2k more. Hard to put faith in a dealer when you think there gouging you. We still prefer to shop local if at all possible.

Trap

J

jjjelm

We would to always shop local but when it comes to thousands of dollars we find an interesting road trip and a lot of money saved always wins out!! Wonderful Wyoming

jpmorgan37

I was in retail automotive for a number of years and was Service Manager at one dealership and Parts and Service Director at another. We advertised for warranty work and parts sales and took care of everybody that needed service or parts and didn't care where they bought there vehicle. Guess who made out? And you would be surprised to know that a lot of repeat sales and used sales came off of our lot. Oh, I might also mention that we became one of the largest Ford dealers east of the Mississippi. People are going to shop for price, thats human nature. The parts and service departments should pay the fixed overhead of any dealership. It's basic financial management and I don't understand why dealers don't recognize that. They want to make it all on the sale and forget about the back end profit center. Sorry, but that's my speach for today

nscaler2

Iagree with you.

John,
I agree with you. Warranty service should also be a profit maker as well as future business creator. I can't understand the mindset of only servicing what you sell. It isn't like the factory doesn't reimburse for warranty work. Sounds like lazy dealer sour grapes to me.

ChopperBill

I understand saving thousands of dollars. I am about as frugal as they come. When I started pricing my unit the dealer about 1200 miles east of me was $3000 less than the dealer 35 miles from me. Sounds like a ton of money. I figured it was going to cost me a $1000 to go get it (they wanted something like $1500 to deliver it). So then I figured how much would it be worth for me to stay at a local dealer. I figured a $1000. Lets not forget that they are further from the factory so have a freight disadvantage. So I offered him $2000 more than the eastern dealer. We made a deal. We are ALL happy. And my wife didn't have to take a weeks vacation to some where she really didn't want to go.
Had to take mine back twice for warranty work and have only had it out once! Put me at the head of the service line. I go into the dealership and everyone says "Howdy Bill, hows Renee?!" The owner of the company took me out and gave me a trailer backing lesson! I get 10% discount on ALL my parts and accessories! I feel welcome there and alway come away feeling happy about my visit. Think that is worth $1000? I do. Remember it all started out being $3000 difference?
One thing to remember is if you think the local dealer is trying to gouge you. They have about 6-8 months for business while the internet folks have 12 months for theirs. Have to make a little money if you are going to have a GOOD parts and service facility.
Hey! Don't get me wrong. If you traveled a lot to save a lot you have my blessings. You just have to see the local dealers point of view also. I am just sad they quit selling Bighorns but am real happy they will take care of me, during and after the warranty period!
One thing we all have in common no matter where we bought ours. We all have one **** fine camper!

Trap

Chopper I agree with you, the only point I was trying to make is if the local dealers want to keep the business they may have to change there attitudes a bit. When we talked to the local dealers around here, they had there price and didn't want to budge. For a Couple of grand I would stay local. But the differences I'm seeing are closer to 12-15% difference and that's including delivery. That's a lot of coin. If the dealers aren't careful there will be more independant repair shops opening that are willing to do warranty work (elimanating that threat). Times are changing and they are going to have to change in order to survive. I love having a local dealer that is friendly and takes care of us. But money does talk.:(
Trap

Uncle Rog

Howdy guys, you all are right. I wanted new tires for my yamaha rhino, tires are $160.00 each at the shop, more than my gmc! Disheartened, I went on ebay and bought an entire set of tires w/ wheels brand new for 200.00 total, plus freight!!!

ChopperBill

Sorry some of you folks had bad experiences with your local dealer. :( Guess I am one of the lucky ones! :)
On the warranty deal. I am the warranty administrator for the dealer in my first post. I don't know how the auto side of it is but in the Ag side it is a PITA. Sure they give you full labor rate. THEIR flat rate under ideal conditions. (we just lost 40 hours on one major transmission job!) They give full parts credit but no freight or other incurring expenses. It almost takes one full time employee to do the warranties. They don't pay their wages, taxes or insurance. You some times cover some small items that aren't covered just to keep the customer happy. It all adds up. You have to remember the dealer principle just doesn't put $70 per warranty hour cash right into his pocket. Its not all that rosy in the warranty world.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
You know, this is really a problem that Heartland and other manufacturers need to address in the dealer agreement. Heartland and other manufacturers advertise that they are perfect for the full timer. If that is the case, the full timer will always be away from home and his selling dealer. Who will do his warranty work?

ChopperBill

Jay: I spent a good deal of time talking to a Keystone dealer less than a mile from here. He has been an RV dealer for at least 40 years, I raced motorcycles with his brother in the late 60's. He said this is the worst year he ever had and last year was no peach either. I asked what he did for warranty work for customers that bought at other dealerships. He said he takes care of everyone because he will probably deal with them another time and that was his job as a dealer. He also mentioned he could not survive on what the wholesalers make but he dos not have as great a problem that apparently my Bighorn dealer has. Anyone local that wheels and deals with him and goes some where else will find themselves with a long wait when service is needed. He has even had folks come in and ask how things work because the dealer they purchased from didn't explain at the PDI. He tells them its $80 an hour! Maybe it not right but I'm just the messenger telling what I have heard. In my first post I mentioned wholesale dealers but it may have came across that just pricing was the deal. Far from it. Other things were mentioned that are not my place to say why my dealer gave up Bighorn.
I know I am getting long winded but I also e-mailed Heartland way before my purchase and asked about warranty if I purchased from an out of state dealer. In so many words the reply was to deal with the local as best you can because most problems stem from transient warranty.
Folks please don't think I am against saving some bucks. Like I said I am as frugal as the next guy. I am just relaying what was told to me.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
We bought from our local dealer just because of the warrenty work, and we are glad we did.
We could have saved $5000 US if we bought in Nevada. That is quite a lot of money in my books.
While speaking to our dealer this week while having my ground fault in the lights fixed, they said that they are way too busy to work on there slaes to work on warrenty work from other dealers. They just have to turn them away.
So glad we bought locally!!