Air suspension for trailers, many options.

2010augusta

After seeing Jim B's new trailer with a air suspension; I did some research on some options that are available.

First, the system that Jim has is the Trailer Flex system. it appears to be designed by LBC Trailer out of Ontario, Canada.

I found that PJ Trailers is a distributor of the systems, so that might be a good option for those of us in the US.

I found a kit on ebay with a buy it now price of $2,695 and a $600 install price for anyone near PA.

Next, another member found the Standen's system. They are out of Calgary, Alberta.

Dexter Axle also offers their own air suspension. It is using a shorter swing arm with a bag in front of the axle.

the makers of the popular truck stabilizers Timberns offers a similar system under the name Dakota Air.

Finally Kelderman Air-Ride offers two air suspension options. the first is similar to the Trailer-Flex and the Standen's. The torsion axle replaces the leaf spring with a steel swing arm.

The other is the Leaf Spring system, which retains the leaf springs, but suspends the spring equalizer on a bar supported by a pair of air-bags.

There are probably more options out there, but I thought this was a pretty good list to start. Has anyone used any of these systems on a trailer yet?

In the future IF our trailer suspension starts to give us trouble, I believe that one of these air systems will be our solution of choice.

SilverRhino

Great infomation Alan.....thank you for sharing your research!

As I said before...hope I do not have to look into replacing what I already have...but if and when I think this is the way to go.

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
Wrote to Trail Flex after watching their videos and asked what a system would cost for my 3055RL. It would be $2500 for the weld on or $2700 for the bolt on. Price includes compressor, tank valves etc and can be used with your original axles. Looks to me like a really nice system.

Rick

lwmcguir

After seeing Jim B's new trailer with a air suspension; I did some research on some options that are available.

First, the system that Jim has is the Trailer Flex system. it appears to be designed by LBC Trailer out of Ontario, Canada.

I found that PJ Trailers is a distributor of the systems, so that might be a good option for those of us in the US.

I found a kit on ebay with a buy it now price of $2,695 and a $600 install price for anyone near PA.

Next, another member found the Standen's system. They are out of Calgary, Alberta.

Dexter Axle also offers their own air suspension. It is using a shorter swing arm with a bag in front of the axle.

the makers of the popular truck stabilizers Timberns offers a similar system under the name Dakota Air.

Finally Kelderman Air-Ride offers two air suspension options. the first is similar to the Trailer-Flex and the Standen's. The torsion axle replaces the leaf spring with a steel swing arm.

The other is the Leaf Spring system, which retains the leaf springs, but suspends the spring equalizer on a bar supported by a pair of air-bags.

There are probably more options out there, but I thought this was a pretty good list to start. Has anyone used any of these systems on a trailer yet?

In the future IF our trailer suspension starts to give us trouble, I believe that one of these air systems will be our solution of choice.

We have the Trail Air equalizer system which is a start to-wards air suspension. Seems to work very well. Also have a large PJ flat bed with total air ride. Works well but may not be the best thing over the years. Does ride a bit better than the large slipper springs. That trailer has 10K axles. I don't think you can go wrong with any kind of air ride installed properly as far as improving overall ride and reducing frame/suspension fatigue.