AC in bedroom

Clymer

We ordered our 2011 BC 3500 with just about every option except the 2nd air in the bedroom. Now after researching other sites and talking to other owners I am finding that this is something we really need when it gets hot out and more so in parks without trees. Any other owners have any suggestions if we should go ahead and have it installed. Thanks

osims

bsims
If you have any plans of heading south in the summer i would definitly get the 2nd A/C. We have been north in the summer and used both A/Cs, especially in Wy and Colorado.
Bill

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Clymer, everyone has their own level of comfort. Some like the temp to be 90* and others like it around 70*. You have to determine which one you are. Like you I didn't order the second air, but had in mind that I may be getting one. On moderate days one was just fine. On the hot humid days two are better. We now have the second ac unit. Other plusses are faster cool down after traveling in hot weather or spending a night at Walmart when you can run just the bedroom air for sleeping, if you have a genny. I can't say if two are right for you, but for us it's a must have.

Peace
Dave

Clymer

AC in Bedroom

I'm thinking since we keep our house at 70 all year round then we will probably need the 2nd ac in the bedroom. The one thing in our marriage we agree on all the time :p We received a price of just under 1,000 today installed for a 15,000 BTU unit so I guess we will give them the go ahead.

jbeletti

I'm thinking since we keep our house at 70 all year round then we will probably need the 2nd ac in the bedroom. The one thing in our marriage we agree on all the time :p We received a price of just under 1,000 today installed for a 15,000 BTU unit so I guess we will give them the go ahead.

When ordered with your coach, the second AC we typically put on is a 13,500 BTU unit. Others have added theirs later and used 13,500 BTU, 9,000 BTU and other smaller than 15,000 BTU units. What I am saying is that a 15,000 BTU unit may be more than you need and will likely cost you more as well.

That said, others have installed 15,000 BTU units in their bedrooms and are pleased with them. So it sure isn't wrong to do so :) Just wanted you to know what Heartland and some owners do.

Jim

Northern Virginia
I put a 13500 BTU (Carrier Air V low profile) in the bedroom a year after we began using our Landmark. I am very happy we did. We needed it in the summer at the beach. I would tell you though that the 15000 BTU in the bedroom will be too much and I don't think you will be happy with it, IMHO.

I bought mine online from a dealer in Virgina Beach and installed it myself (took the better part of a day). If you can get the unit installed for under $1000, that is a good deal.

Two Hands

You could put one in my Big Horn and I would let you know how I liked it.

The dealer offered it at no extra charge, but I opted for a hitch instead. I so wish I would have taken the air conditioner and paid for a hitch. Then I know I would have gotten a better one.

porthole

Retired
I would add it and make sure you size it properly. Too big is just as bad or worse then too small.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We had the dealer put a 2nd unit in our BC when we bought it and never regretted spending the extra money. DH likes to sleep in a very cool room (with me under a bunch of blankets - haha). The other great thing about having a 2nd unit is that its great to drown out the neighbors who like to stay outside their rig - talking all night.

Clymer

AC in Bedroom

Thanks for the help guys....we went with the 13,500 unit with a heat strip at the suggestion of the dealer. Said for the extra cost of 100. well worth it to help take the chill out of the air. So now we should be cool and warm in the bedroom! Don't know why I'm worried I will be sleeping in front of the wonderful fireplace...love it! :p

SilverRhino

Lee;

Our BC also had the bedroom air MIA...after a couple of trips during the Texas summer we also determined that this was a purchase we were going to make.

I had pretty much made up my mind on putting in a low profile Carrier...of course Carrier decided to get out of the RV air business so now I have to make another choice. Carriers are still available...but I am concerned about any warranty or service issues.

If I might ask, which brand / model did you decide on??

I'm sure you'll love your BC as much as we do ours...Great Coaches!

Travel Safe!

porthole

Retired
Thanks for the help guys....we went with the 13,500 unit with a heat strip at the suggestion of the dealer. Said for the extra cost of 100. well worth it to help take the chill out of the air. So now we should be cool and warm in the bedroom! Don't know why I'm worried I will be sleeping in front of the wonderful fireplace...love it! :p

You will not regret it, especially after the first time you need it.

sdgirl

Jim, DH and I have been thinking the same thing,, about adding a Bedroom A/C. Thanks for your insight on size and cost. Appreciate knowing the options!

Clymer

Lee;

Our BC also had the bedroom air MIA...after a couple of trips during the Texas summer we also determined that this was a purchase we were going to make.

I had pretty much made up my mind on putting in a low profile Carrier...of course Carrier decided to get out of the RV air business so now I have to make another choice. Carriers are still available...but I am concerned about any warranty or service issues.

If I might ask, which brand / model did you decide on??

I'm sure you'll love your BC as much as we do ours...Great Coaches!

Travel Safe!

Randy
I believe he said it is a Duo-Therm with heat strip however we also spoke about Coleman so I'm not sure which one he (the service manager) went with...they were both about the same price but I believe he said the Duo-Therm is what Heartland uses....not 100% on that. I know he called the factory to discuss. So far we have only stayed in the BC 2 nights and we really enjoyed the "at home feeling". Can't wait to head to Florida next month:eek:

jbeletti

Duo-Therm is a Dometic brand. It is what Heartland and many other RV mfrs use.

We used Carrier for a while when Dometic supply was constrained due to the fire at their Mex plant. I always thought carrier was good stuff but feedback I've read from a few on this forum and at the Tampa show is that some are frustrated with the Carrier brand. I think much of that surrounds the remote control and how it works. Sort of like that old Dometic "I-feel" remote from 2006 time-frame.

I'm not very familiar with Coleman ACs but I did have one in a TT I owned for a year.

A heat strip option will be nice, versus not having the option. I like heat-pumps but they are more $$ and have their own drawbacks.

I'd choose the Dometic but that's just me. Some people don't care for anything Dometic.

No matter what he chose, you'll love your second AC.

Be cool!

Jim

porthole

Retired
That "fire" is why I don't have a heat pump. Just the wrong time frame. But the two heat strips are OK.

Even found a digital thermostat that is reasonably priced that should work with the furnace, AC and heat strip.

SilverRhino

That "fire" is why I don't have a heat pump. Just the wrong time frame. But the two heat strips are OK.

Even found a digital thermostat that is reasonably priced that should work with the furnace, AC and heat strip.

Duane;

I'm going to change my thermostat out this spring...I interested to know who manufactures the thermostat and what model # is it??

Another question: Has anyone found one that has a two speed fan selector??

Randy

porthole

Retired
Randy,

I think the one I got is 2 speed and I'll try and get it later out of the trailer (haven't installed it yet).

Have to deal with a little of that white crap again first :mad: