Pin Box upgrades?

pineguy

Hi All

I have not picked up my new 3850 yet, but was considering on upgrading the pin box to a 5th Airborne (that is what dealer is suggesting).

I have an 09 F350 DRW truck with a Curt Q5 hitch.

Have others upgraded their pin box, if so what did you go with and why? (Mor-Ryde, Trail Air, etc.)

Thanks and look forward to your opinions/experiences.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The Trail Air was an option we chose when we ordered our Bighorn. We have since added the Trail Air Tri Glide lower jaw and now have both vertical and for & aft cushion. very pleased with the result. MorRyde is another good choice. I can't speak for the 5th Airborn as I have no experience with it. Another option is the Demco pin box which is similar to the tri glide addition to the trail air. I'd like to think I have the best of both worlds but that's just my opinion. I'm happy with it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We got rid of the Trail-Air and got the Mor-Ryde and love it. We did not like the Trail-Air.

bill40

We also have the TrailAir Tri-glide and found it was a great improvement to the ride of BC.

lwmcguir

The Trail Air was an option we chose when we ordered our Bighorn. We have since added the Trail Air Tri Glide lower jaw and now have both vertical and for & aft cushion. very pleased with the result. MorRyde is another good choice. I can't speak for the 5th Airborn as I have no experience with it. Another option is the Demco pin box which is similar to the tri glide addition to the trail air. I'd like to think I have the best of both worlds but that's just my opinion. I'm happy with it.

Have had 9 different pin boxes on several Fifth Wheels, 5th Airborne has been the best regarding ride we have had to date.

pineguy

I ordered the 5th Airborne, after pulling 1000 miles in one trip with the standard pin box it definetly needed an upgrade. Anything will be better than the standard pin box I hope :)

beasleyrl

I don't want to hijack the thread, but have you thought about an air hitch? We have the Hensley Trailersaver and love it. It fits in standard Reese rails so it is easy to install. With it, if you upgrade trailers, you don't have to worry about buying a new pinbox for the new rig.

Yianni

I don't want to hijack the thread, but have you thought about an air hitch? We have the Hensley Trailersaver and love it. It fits in standard Reese rails so it is easy to install. With it, if you upgrade trailers, you don't have to worry about buying a new pinbox for the new rig.

Does the Air Hitch come in a slider version or is it for long beds only?
Thanks.

beasleyrl

Well, I'm glad I checked because I was about to say no. Sure enough, they now have a slider version. However, from what I've seen on the forum, you may not need a slider hitch with Heartland's front design. Prior to my Heartland, I had a Cougar with a shortbed and even then, rarely used the slider.

Here is the link to the hitch:

http://www.trailersaver.com/saver_slide.php