Problem with furnace and water heater

landp

but not the stove, it lights just fine. All the sudden neither the furnace will heat or the hot water heater when using propane. The furnace will blow air for a few moments then turn off. I did run out of propane but then filled the tanks but that didnt make a difference. So I am thinking I should start will the gas line or is there other things the hot water heater and furnace share that they stove doesnt use?

Tom of Ypsi

Is the flame on the stove high or is it just lit and barely going? If it is a small flame it could be just air in the lines. This has happened to us before and I just keep cycing the furnace on and off until the gas gets there. Good Luck

porthole

Retired
You may have to keep trying 4-5 times to get all the air out. Start with whatever unit is closer to the tank. That should lessen the bleed time for the further unit.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
You may try turning OFF the propane, then turning it back ON - SLOWLY. The tanks sometime shut off automatically when/if turned on too fast. Simulates a leak and shuts itself down.

landp

Both the stove and the oven's flames burn with a very high flash when set to high. I will keep cycling the furnace to see what happens.

porthole

Retired
You might post which model you have, because of the layouts.

Mine, the 3010 have the water heater and furnace on the left or off door side.

My stove and refrigerator are on the door side. So when I change a bottle or have to disconnect the hose for some reason I keep at the stove until I get a steady flame and then turn on the refrigerator.

All the units have a small window of trying to light before the solenoid shuts off the gas (no flame detected).

As an example it may take 4-6 attempts to light off my fridge before it will stay on after disconnecting the hose.

bigredtruck

We always light the stove and let it burn for a few minutes before turning on the heater and furnace. Does a better job of 'bleeding' the lines.

landp

I have the 3210.

You might post which model you have, because of the layouts.

Mine, the 3010 have the water heater and furnace on the left or off door side.

My stove and refrigerator are on the door side. So when I change a bottle or have to disconnect the hose for some reason I keep at the stove until I get a steady flame and then turn on the refrigerator.

All the units have a small window of trying to light before the solenoid shuts off the gas (no flame detected).

As an example it may take 4-6 attempts to light off my fridge before it will stay on after disconnecting the hose.

landp

Since the furance has stopped working I have had to light two to the stove burners for 20 to 30 min to get the chill out of the air. We then just use a plug in heater to keep the trailer warm.

But I am going to put the refrig on gas and see if it keeps cooling.

We always light the stove and let it burn for a few minutes before turning on the heater and furnace. Does a better job of 'bleeding' the lines.

truknutt

Committed Member
but not the stove, it lights just fine. All the sudden neither the furnace will heat or the hot water heater when using propane. The furnace will blow air for a few moments then turn off. I did run out of propane but then filled the tanks but that didnt make a difference. So I am thinking I should start will the gas line or is there other things the hot water heater and furnace share that they stove doesnt use?

I also have a 3210. As far as the furnace goes; it sounds as if the fan is coming on and then quickly off because it senses that it has reached its "cooled down enough" point. Just for giggles have you tried raising the thermostat temp setting all the way as hot as it will go? Mine wouldn't light until I raised it all the way and then after the furnace lit I returned it to the 70-75 degree area. Don't think that the thermo temps are accurate by any means. I placed a thermometer next to the thermostat and took a reading when the furnace kicked off; it was nearly 15 degrees off.

For the water heater all I can ask is, "Do you hear it attempting to ignite?" I had to turn off the red switch on the master panel after the heater attempted to light 5 times. I read somewhere that there is a safety mechanism that shuts off the LP after so many attempts to light.

Have you tried your reefer on LP?

This is all I know other than what may be in the operator's manuals.

landp

Well the refrig works on gas, now the water heater is working on gas, and so does the stove and oven. I have cycled the furnace at least 20 times without success. Any other ideals out there for me to try?

jimtoo

Beginning to sound like the "sail switch" is not working in the furnace. This switch must be moved to an on position (it has a sail on it) by the fan blowing air through the heater before it will allow the gas to flow to the burner. I cannot tell you how to check it as I am not a service tech. It might be better and safer if you take your unit to, or call a service company.

Jim M