New Bike Rack for Bighorn..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well, thanks to TerryH I now have a new Pinbox Bicycle rack.

If your intrested in building one of these, it is pretty simple in the long run.

Here is what I did.

I found a company that repairs and builds trailers, went by and asked them if they had any 2" receivers. They had a number of 2" receivers. I looked at the 6" and 9" long receivers. (These in some places called Combo's). Some come in lengths from 3" to24". I used the 9" and recommend this one. I think Terry also used the 9" also. The 9" was about $17.

I bought a number of items at Lowe's to convert the air valve for the pinbox and hardware for the bike mount. I am showing the reciept that shows the parts. Oh, by the way one set of lock nuts were in the wrong box and of course I picked it up thinking it was correct. Look at each part closely before checking out.

I took the 9" receiver to a local welder and he cut and welded the angle to the receiver. I had him use 2" angle piece for the feet. I made a cardboard template of the top of the pinbox showing the location of the air valve and the two bolts holding the air bag on the TrailAir Pinbox. I marked the locations of the feet and how I wanted the receiver positioned.

I then took the receiver to a company called Crosslink Powder Coating LLC to put a good finish on it. That only cost me $10.63. I was really suprised, but they were working on an order using black and would include mine at the same time.

I went to Lowe's and purchased a set of Titanium drill bits (they cost the same as two Carbide bits and worked well) and a 90* chuck for my 1/2" drill. The plate on the pinbox is not real thick so it is easy to drill through it.

When I got down to putting it all togeather I bought some 1" bolts. The 1½” bolts were to long for my socket set and the 1" do have enough bolt to keep it tight. If you build this I would maybe suggest a 1¼” bolt if possible.

I also used some grade 8 washers because they are zinc coated and resist rusting. I may take this apart later and paint everything black. You might notice the washers under the feet on one side. The welder did not get the feet level. One was a bit shorter than the others so I use these to steady it until I can get it corrected. The air tubing is all brass so there should be no rusting problem.

I am putting the photos in the order I put it all together. If you have any questions please let me know..

The bike rack is a Saris Model #704 that holds 2 bikes. It has a lock on the receiver and one around the outside bike. I like his rack because it has a strong base and is not held together with rivets. A bit on the expensive side to others but this one should hold up for a long time.

Again, Thanks TerryH for the idea and help locating the parts.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to use this type of bike rack.

BC

Attachments

• DSC_0098 [800x600].JPG
    DSC_0098 [800x600].JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0008 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0008 [800x600].JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0007 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0007 [800x600].JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0006 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0006 [800x600].JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0005 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0005 [800x600].JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0004 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0004 [800x600].JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0003 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0003 [800x600].JPG
    100 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0002 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0002 [800x600].JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC_0099 [800x600].JPG
    DSC_0099 [800x600].JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 261
  • Lowes Reciept for bike rack parts.JPG
    Lowes Reciept for bike rack parts.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0097 [800x600].JPG
    DSC_0097 [800x600].JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC_0095 [800x600].JPG
    DSC_0095 [800x600].JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC_0093 [800x600].JPG
    DSC_0093 [800x600].JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 364
  • DSC_0092 [800x600].JPG
    DSC_0092 [800x600].JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC_0091 [800x600].JPG
    DSC_0091 [800x600].JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 377
  • DSC_0090 [800x600].JPG
    DSC_0090 [800x600].JPG
    98 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0009 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0009 [800x600].JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 302

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good

Nice job Bob. But we have to be careful, Terry will be looking for some royalty fees. :):):)

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• DSC00912.JPG
    DSC00912.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 193

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Dave..
Yes Terry may ask for a bit of royalty fees and I can give him some potato chips. With all the expenses this year I am starting out a bit on the broke side.

Like your rack also.. (that almost sounds dirty :eek: ). When we all get together we can have a bike rally and ride around the campground. Wouldn't that be a sight..

I have another question. What do those of you that carry bikes use to cover them up. I looked for a cover didn't find any that I though would work. Any ideas..

BC

SilverRhino

Nice job! Great step by step pics too.

My only problem is.....I can make anything out of wood...spent too much time making sawdust so I never did learn how to weld.

Maybe they have a class for old carpenters!

Travel Safe!

davebennington

Txbobcat,

I created a bike rack much like yours sometime ago, I found the the best bike cover was one made by Swagman. Several outlets for them are Overstock, Amazon and Swagman.com

Hope this helps,

Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I never did learn how to weld.
Travel Safe!

I did not do the welding.. That is why I said the guy that welded it did not get the feet even and I had to use a couple of washers.

Just find a local welder and give them the template and let them weld it. I had to take mine back and have them redo the feet (snd they still did not get it correct) and clean up their welding. The trailer shop, where I should have had it done said they charge $75 per hour. The one that did the welding for me said $40 and I gave him the $75 to make sure it was a good job. I go bit a little but it works.

Dave
I will look up those covers. Thanks for some ideas. I was wanting to find one at a local store rather than the internet.

BC

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
Bob-

According to Swagman Bike racks, (www.swagman.net) the shops below in Houston carry their bike rack covers.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Blue Line Bikes
3302 White Oak
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]www.bluebikes.com[/FONT]​

checkmark.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Master Hitch Inc
5300 Glenmont Dr.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]www.masterhitch.com[/FONT]​

checkmark.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Southwest Schwinn Cyclery
6607 South Braeswood
[/FONT]

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob
Thanks for the info. I went to the Swagman website and found one I would like. I am going to see if a local bike shop here can get one for me.

Thanks
BC

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Let me recommend the guys at Master Hitch. They are great to do business with and have a good assortment of accessories. Outstanding work!

SilverRhino

This is probably a silly question...but:

Those of you with the front mounted bike rack...have you noticed any difference in how your trailer tows or mileage??

I believe that one of the reasons my BC tows better than my previous SOB 5th wheel is the aerodynamics of the front cover. I know that putting a couple of bike in front of this will have an effect on the aerodynamics...the question is...is it at all significant.

Just curious......

davebennington

SilverRhino,

I have had my front mount bike rack on for about 3 years. during this time it includes 2 trips to Goshen and many miles other camping trips. So far there has not been any problems with wind or drag. Mileage has not changed that I can tell. I do keep the cover on while traveling. I did change the rack to one that the wheels drop in and lash down vs the one that hangs by the bar.
here is a picture of the rack. Here is a link to the bike rack pictures.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=2110&highlight=bike+rack

Dave

talley

Bob, I have a Saris T-Rax 2-bike rack. I plan to mount on the rear of the coach, but have not decided on how to build the receiver structure. In the meantime, thought I would mount on the front as you have.

Your posting is timely and the photos are helpful. If you have a picture of the coach and TV connected and the bikes mounted to show a perspective of the clearance spaces; please post.

If you don't have a photo can you help me with any clearance issues and measurements once everything is loaded. Did you find any potential problem between the front cap and the TV bed?

If you still have the same TV I believe we have basicly the same 2006 Ford F250 short bed.

Just went to TerryH post and took note of the photos. Still interested in any assessment of clearances.

Jimtoo... Thanks good to know. If I don't get it together by then I can see for myself.

jimtoo

Jerry,,,, you and Bob can visit in person next Wednesday or so, at Kerrville Sweetheart Rally.

Jim M