Storage mod - under master bed

Manke3010

Hey guys,

Most of the mods I've done have already been published, but this is something I thought might be of interest...

I know that some of you have already done extreme changes with the living room table area.
I was not a fan of the kidney bean shaped tables that come with these 3010's. I was able to negotiate a swap with our purchase and got more or less a much larger, rectangular shaped table out of a larger Cyclone model for ours. I still kept the factory kidney bean table that I at times use for the garage.
If any of you are unhappy with the factory table, you might be able to find a company to cut one to spec, or buy one from the HL parts dept. 4-6 people can eat SO much easier, card/board games are much easier with this table.
Storing the larger table top was a pain, and frankly, the beating the kidney shaped one took in the garage was no good either.

I couldn't find a solid 5'x7' plywood sheet, but was able to find a 5x5 and made that work. Cut and used a 17" section of the factory OSB board, added a 2"x3" brace to attach that to, along with the newer, much stronger 5 ft slab with hinges.
Picked up a couple 80 lb gas prop hinges and mounting plates, as well as some L brackets to store the larger table on, that hangs just above the kidney bean table that rests on the fixed slide rails.
Put a few small strips of velcrow on the bottom of the kidney shaped table and top slide rails to keep it from vibrating around.

A random side note on this, but I despise getting in the bedroom and helping my DW make the bed. I'm 6'4" with size 14's, and I flat don't fit well under the ceiling of the slide, and the factory OSB is installed so that the up-facing side makes it impossible to slide the bed down towards the dresser to make it easier to make the bed. Perhaps silly, but it makes it a lot easier on me.

Attachments

• Cyclone bed 001.JPG
    Cyclone bed 001.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 571
  • Cyclone bed 002.JPG
    Cyclone bed 002.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 534
  • Cyclone bed 004.JPG
    Cyclone bed 004.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 554
  • Cyclone bed 006.JPG
    Cyclone bed 006.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 539
  • Cyclone bed 011.JPG
    Cyclone bed 011.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 535

wyleyrabbit

Interesting mod. How much space do you have under there when the slide is in?

On a completely different note, I notice the foam you have on the mattress. Is that high-compression memory foam, or the old-school soft foam? We put a 3" memory foam mattress topper on top of our mattress and now it's like heaven.

Cheers,
Chris

wyleyrabbit

I managed to get serious husband bonus points because I added the mattress topper completely in secret. Costco had the king size ones on sale, so while she was at work, I picked one up, drove to the farm where we store the trailer, stripped the bed down completely, put the topper on, and re-did the bed to her standards (so she wouldn't be suspicious). Then I kept silent about it until our next trip. :)

If anyone is considering a 3" (or better) memory foam mattress topper, I highly recommend you do the same as I did and make it a surprise. Husband bonus points are hard to come by, and this is an easy one.

Chris

Manke3010

Hey Chris,

Yeah, our topper is the 3" high density foam, and we love it just as much as you all do. Actually bought it for our old Weekend Warrior 5'ver, and that futon mattress was a joke, and this topper even made that thing comfy, but the mattress in the Cyclone is even better so the combo is great.

I just took a few photos of the storage with the slide about 4 inches out (but basically all the way in) so I could get a hand under the bed to lift it.
I removed the large table to take the pics.
Also took a pic of the large table top we now use in the main living area. I have the trailer covered at home here so can't put out the main slide all the way, but you get the idea.
There is a good amount of storage under the bed with the slide in, but the problem with utilizing any of the space that is level to, or below the slide rails, is that when the slide is out, it will come into contact with the rails. There is about a 10" wide gap on each extreme L and R side of the rails that you could permanately store stuff without issue.

I apologize for the blurry pics guys, our camera is giving us problems, may be time for a new one!

Attachments

• Cyclone bed_table pics 001.JPG
    Cyclone bed_table pics 001.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 340
  • Cyclone bed_table pics 004.JPG
    Cyclone bed_table pics 004.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 324

caissiel

I changed the frame of the storage bottom sheet, to lay on both side of the cylinder frame. That way the sheet is 5 to 6 inches from the top and storage space is now doubled.
I used 3 off 1 x 3 strapping and anchored them to the each ends, I added one on each side, front and back. It is now much stronger and can hold more weight then the small framing that was in before.

caissiel

I never did take pictures but I measured that I have 6 in of storage space under the bed.
Would need to remove all the extra stuff to remove the bottom sheet and take a pic.
Will surely talk to Barb to see if I can. She is the boss of the play pen.
We just came back from the north and she has been reorganizing the pen.

caissiel

Some pics of the frame

Attachments

• 462.jpg
    462.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 463.jpg
    463.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 465.jpg
    465.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Manke3010

Very cool. Like the idea for sure.
With the width of my larger table that I need to store under my bed, along with the gas prop hinges I'm using sticking out about 1.5", I have to put the table in at an angle to rest on the L brackets.
Just like you, I have about 5-6" from rail to top of bed frame, but with the hinges and table, I'm restricted to have the table sit just below the hinges. Only leaves me an extra 2" below the table, so that's why I put the kidney bean table underneath it.
I thought about trying to maximize the entire length like you did, but just ended up going this way. I may try to do something like you did for the front half to see if I can gain more storage.
Did you use gas prop hinges on your top piece as well or what do you use to access this area?
Thanks for sharing the pics :)

We did a similar thing. But decided to deck the storage area so we wouldn't have problems with little things getting hung in the works. Thus, you see the 2x4 for added depth, and length to fully support a residential queen-sized Select Comfort mattress. Then added the storage compartment deck and the mattress deck with a piano hinge and we're good to go!

Sorry the photos are out of order - didn't see how to correct that quickly.

Attachments

• P4031136.jpg
    P4031136.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 267
  • P4031137.jpg
    P4031137.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 249
  • P4031138.jpg
    P4031138.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 259
  • P4031147.jpg
    P4031147.jpg