LED taillight upgrade

Jim Posz

I wanted to switch to LED brake/taillights on my '07 Sundance, which came with surface mounted lights made by Command Electronics. What I found on the manufacturer's website (commandelectronics.com) is that they sell an LED upgrade kit item K-0026 for $42 + 9.50 S&H. This kit includes a right and left hand led board, two new lenses, instructions and wire connectors.
I purchased this kit and installed it this morning. It was a slick installation that took about half an hour in the Iowa cold. It is not generic; the parts were made for this specific taillight only. You do not need to remove the existing light base from the RV as the LED conversion fits onto the mounts from the existing base. The new lenses fit the same but are made for the LED lights.
These lights are noticibly brighter and "quicker" than the original incandescents. The company also sells LED clearance lights and interior LED upgrades, which I didn't buy. Sorry, but I was told cold and lazy to take pictures.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Thanks for the info. If we ever dig out of the snow I'm going to start upgrading mine.

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
Jim
Great post and good detail.
I had LED's on my boat trailer and loved em, I will have to look in to them for the 5er.

I see you are from Fort Madison, are you going to try and attend the Iowa Rally in October?
It would be grat to meet ya.
Mark

lwmcguir

An interesting issue with LED's is they don't generate heat. We have several trailers with them and with the snow/ice we have had this winter it has been a lot of extra work. The extra work is cleaning off the ice that forms off the light each time we stop. On the flat beds the lights are completely blocked off with snow and ice after a few miles. No heat to keep it melted off like the incandescents. I know several LED manufacturers are coming out with heaters in the lamps with thyristors to turn them on when it is about 45 degrees.

Thanks for that webb site, I have been looking for over a year, for something that will work, this will work great,and minimal changes, have to be made

Thanks

Jim Posz

You're welcome. I thought the LED lights were too good a deal not to pass it along. I would like to attend the October Rally; hopefully I can pin down the better half on that date before too long.