Silicone Bake Wear

Lilywhite

I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has used Silicone bake wear in either their propane oven or in their microwave/1/2 time oven? What kind of results did you get and did you have to alter your cooking time because of this particular type of bake wear.

I like the fact that the bake wear is light weight and has the benefits of non-stick and should result in healthier cooking. Just reluctant to use as it's new to me and I have always used metal or glass cook wear.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2010augusta

I have used a silicone muffin pan in my home oven (also propane) and I hated it. the muffins stuck so bad I had to serve crumbs. I even sprayed the pan with pam and they still stuck. It either got donated to goodwill or trashed, I can't remember which.

I have found when using the convection oven in the LM that it is very important for the pan to be able to spin. We ended up with a batch of lop-sided muffins that were over done on one side and under-cooked on the other.

We since bought a 6 muffin pan that will spin and get good muffins now. I also bake cakes in spring form pans or 10" square.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I've had pretty good luck with my silicone bakeware. Got a nice set at costco. It does seem to stick easier tho. Try a baking spray instead of just pam. I mostly use a couple loaf pans and an 8x8. It is very nice to use as it's light, durable and easy to store. What I don't like is that it's floppy. :) But, I use an airbake cookie sheet in the propane oven under it and that helps. Nothing special in the convection.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I was given a couple of pieces of the original silicone cookware. Can't afford to buy it ... way too expensive for me. It works great in whatever I use it in though. If I actually baked much in the RV, I might save up for a couple more pieces. Here's the link to the company ... Demarle.

Kristy

jbeletti

I use a high-grade of silicone muffin cups (large ones) and food bakes up nice in them. I spray them with Pam. I like to drop Cinnabon Grands into them :)

Netem

Hey Jim, you guys are making me hungry. You know deserts are right up my ally. :)

Lilywhite

Thank you for all your replies. I guess I am just going to have to jump in with both feet and give it a try. Maybe I will start out with something that would be a little more forgiving than something complex.

Hmmmmm maybe plain dinner rolls. There's nothing better smelling than fresh bread baking.:D

Friends of ours laugh at the fact that our style of "camping" is so different now than what it used to be. No more hot dogs, canned beans and KD. ;)

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Check out Tuesday Morning for some high-end stuff at discount prices. I LOVE their kitchen section.
I know what you mean about the "camping". LOL We are constantly taking a ribbing about roughing it. :)

bigredtruck

I know what you mean about the "camping". LOL We are constantly taking a ribbing about roughing it. :)

Especially cuz we travel with the espresso machine, portable ice maker, 2 laptops and 2 TV's. That's 'glamping' I was told.

Lilywhite

I also have a blender to make smoothies and other drinks...;)

We also take our lap top and X-Box gaming system. Pathetic isn't it?:eek:

jimtoo

Especially cuz we travel with the espresso machine, portable ice maker, 2 laptops and 2 TV's. That's 'glamping' I was told.

Well we rough it,,,, we sleep on 200 thread count sheets instead of 400, and they can get a little rough...:D

SilverRhino

Chan I realized that our "camping" had really changed.....getting ready for a dinner party ant had to go to the RV to get appliances! :confused:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Lilywhite - I have a silicone power T cakedish (go Vols) and haven't had any problems baking in the BC oven. I do spray the pan with Joy baking spray and haven't had any problems with sticking, etc. I do find out when my DH doesn't level the rig properly and the cake is slightly one sided. HUMMM B--