New Snow Capital of the USA

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Who would have ever thought that Virginia would become the snow capital of the US:confused:? The latest predictions are for anywhere from 30-36 inches of new snow (on top on the 4 or 5 we still have on the ground):eek:.

ArlingtonFire

Does not happen often....I remember about seven years ago while living in Fredericksburg, Va. gettin alot more snow then family in Pa.........Now livin in Pa & laughing :) hope everyone stays safe.

Catchin flight out of BWI Monday for Disney

bill40

.Come on Gus us grocery guys just love it. Can't believe people can use that much milk and TT. Who would think

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
My son called from Baltimore...they're expecting 24-28 inches...AGAIN! Lived my whole life there, never saw two blizzards in one year! Sure am glad I'm a fulltimer now....LOL

Northern Virginia
I guess Algore warned us about all this global warming! BTW, the all time record for DC is 28 inches in 1922. I have my fingers crossed that we break that record.

John

porthole

Retired
Its a big one and they are already behind the start time in New Jersey. 8 pm and it hasn't started yet.

Attachments

• PersRadarServlet.jpg
    PersRadarServlet.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 10

wdk450

Washington - Too Much Vancouver B.C. - Not Enough

Who would have ever thought that Virginia would become the snow capital of the US:confused:? The latest predictions are for anywhere from 30-36 inches of new snow (on top on the 4 or 5 we still have on the ground):eek:.

Have you heard that they have been TRUCKING snow into Vancouver for some Olympic events???

loafer

Yes the one mountain where snowboarding and moguls event is taking place has been trucking snow in for the 1/ 2 pipe area and aerials . They had lots of snow earlier on in the season and was looking good but not much snow after Christmas .
Now warm weather set in record highs for January so they are now trucking in snow from about 3 hour drive from mountain site . Its looking good now so they will get the games done no problems. Just alot of money spent to transport all that snow. Truckers are happy making lots of green hauling lots of white LOL
Whistler mountain on the other hand has lots of snow and is looking fantastic so no problems there.Thats where ski jumping, downhill and X- country events are
No snow no fun
Bill

rvn4fun

We came down to Texas for the blue sky and sun, we have had a bigger electric bill and propane bill here, trying to stay warm, then we ever did in South Dakota. Of course up there we burn wood for heat. Mabe have to convert our Big Country's fireplace to a woodburning fireplace! Load the truck up with wood. But we don't have the snow. Virginia can have that. Global warming anyone???

CrazyScotsman

Just glad I got my truck fixed in time while in VA, now heading to warmer climate. Miami here I come. Woooo Hoooo. First time in a long time that I won't be seeing the white stuff.

caissiel

Here I am sitting in Florida after driving down the whole Eastern States from home just ahead of the storm. We arrived in Daytona just in time to see Danika Patrick do her debut in the ARCA Nascar race on Saterday. We also watch Harvick win his second Bud Pole.

All along I was frozen and still am shacking here in Fort Pierce FL. Waiting so the sun to warm me up.

jnbhobe

It looks like Fredericksburg,Va got about 24". My daughter says she shoveled every 6" then the electric went out. They went looking for a generator this morning, none to be had.Finally at Tractor supply the guy in front of them, his check wouldn't clear so they got the last 8500 watt in the store. Now their the warming place for the neighborhood, the only ones with HEAT:D:D:) Life is good

Northern Virginia
We got about 28" over two days. Saturday morning around 8AM the transformer on our street blew up and caught on fire. We were without power until last night. We have a 5500 watt portable that kept the essentials on including the 240V well pump. That was the first time we have needed the generator. I bought it on Craigslist 2 years ago for $250. Money well spent!

John

dieselengineer

Charter Member
The power utility here is so dependable, I have a 11,000 watt genset that runs off the tractor's PTO. It has come in very valuable more times then I can count.

truknutt

Committed Member
Jim,

That's a big 10-4 on the local power grid! I learned my lesson with our last all electric house so when we built this one we had a 12K Generac LP Standby installed. Combined with the LP fireplace we feel we can survive a lengthy power outage.

Worst case scenario, we can move into the Cyclone with its generator power and LP furnace.

Attachments

• 12K Generac.jpg
    12K Generac.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 9