Sundance 3300RLB or Cougar 324RLB

rcs72

We are looking at both and would like your opinions on build quality. I will be towing with a Dodge MC 3500 SRW 4X4. Is the 1/2 bath a plus for a family of 4 on the Cougar? Anyone have regrets getting a loft? Is a 40 gal black water tank big enough on the Sundance?

bytor

Hello there,
We have the 3300rlb and Absolutely love the floor plan.:) We are a family of 5+(the kids usually bring a friend) and have more then
enough room for everyone. I also tow with a 2006 Dodge MC 3500SRW and it does a real good job. Although it Probably would benefit from a set of airbags, maybe this spring. The build quality I think is pretty good. I haven't had any major issues with my rig, little things here and there like most campers. I have owned many rvs over the years but never a Keystone product so I can't speak of the Cougar or Keystone but Heartland seems to be right in line if not better then other builds in the same cost range. So yes I am happy with The Sundance and Heartland and I think if I were in the market for a new RV I would buy another Heartland Product.
good luck

jnbhobe

bytor; I see your from Reading, Please don't miss the PA rally in June at Spring Gulch in New Holland. Good time with Good people. And your so close. Jon:cool::cool:

I have the Heartland Bighorn and my son has the cougar. There is no comparison between the 2. You do pay more for the heartland but you get so much more. Of course this is my opinion. Prior to the Bighorn We had the Keystone Outback 5th wheel, and it was a piece of junk. We got rid of it after 2 years and bought the Bighorn.

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
We too compared Heartland Sundance vs Cougar.
We looked at the 3300RLB first and determined we needed the second bath, so we compared the 2998RB to the 298SAB ( I think, and am too lazy to check it ;) ).

We felt that the attention to detail in the Sundance was better, I liked the optional big axles on this model. The bunk room felt more funtional, and the 1/2 bath was the selling pooint for us.

Now, our daughter is 20 months old, but we were trying to think ahead, so our bunk room has a single bunk and a gaucho bed/sofa, and in the main living area our dining room table converts, and our couch has a blow up. So if she ever has a few friends with us we will be fine.

The 1/2 bath is pricelss, we had 4 adults and 5 kids in the 2998RB last summer, and I was very happy that NO one used my bathroom :) the 1/2 bath played its roll.

So to be fare..... you are on a Heartland website. The thing we liked about the Cougar was the self contained side bathroom up front.

We bought the Sundance :)

biggziff

We considered the loft units, but found that the kids really didn't care for the tight fit with the ceiling so close. With the standard bunks they can use the bunks for reading, playing games, etc. They didn't feel that the loft bunk would be useful for much more than sleeping so we passed on those.

Look around here and on sites like rv.net to get opinions on either unit. Be sure to pay attention to the common themes when it comes to problems and things like how wiring/plumbing has been run.

Either one will be fine so get the one you like to looks of better if it comes to that.

MurrayN.

We bought a 3300RLB a year ago and absolutely love it. We have had very few problems and have been very impressed with the quality of the fit and materials. The Cougar doesn't come close as far as the quality of product going into the trailer. We just came back from a rv show this afternoon and had looked at the Cougar that you mention with the back loft. It doesn't even come close in any department to our Sundance. The Sundance is just plain a higher end rv with better assembly and materials. One earlier poster was correct, the top loft doesn't have a lot of headroom in it, but my 13 year old doesn't mind and has no trouble. Our two kids love the back room with it's own tv and a door that can be closed. If the back bathroom is something that you want to give up a bunch of interior space for then go for it. The only people that use our bathroom is my family, any visitors can use the campground facilities. We bought the rv first and foremost for ourselves, not for anyone else that is too lazy to use the public biffy. I highly recommend this rv, we will keep it until the kids are gone and we move to a BigHorn.:)

lcdrdean

As a past owner of a Couger and a current owner of a Bighorn, I would have to say that the quality of materials used in Heartland products seem to be better than Keystone products.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The Cougar was our second choice...... We like the larger tanks, wheels and lighter weight of the Sundance, the 15% lower price was nice also.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Sundance - hands down. We had an older model (06) Sundance before upgrading to the Big County and thoroughly enjoyed it. The workmanship is so much better that it will pay for itself in the long run.

rcs72

Does anyone know what the loaded pin weight would befor the Sundance 3300RLB ? The unloaded pin weight is 1910#, would it go down at all once trailer is loaded?

argyll1st

We have just finnished a 5000 mile maiden voyage with our new 3300 RLB and straight from the dealer it has been faultless, it has run long and hard and we lived in it full time for the last 7 weeks and I slept in the rear bunk a few night when I was kicked out of the master due to eating too many beans and it was fine for a 16 stone guy. all in all very very happy .