Using POI's while enroute

k-f-Indiana

I have downloaded some POI's to our c530 Garmin GPS from POI Factory. However, I'm not sure I understand how to make them work. When I have set the GPS to a destination, will I automatically get a signal that we are near one of the POI's, or do I have to go into "Extras", where the POI's are listed and select the one I am looking for? If so, is it possible to select more that one at the same time, as I have downloaded "campgrounds", also "Flying J", and others?
I have not experimented with it while we are traveling, as my DH gets very nervous when I start tinkering with the GPS while enroute. Any help anyone can provide will be appreciated, as we are retiring in less that 3 weeks and hitting the road. :eek:

Rrloren

On my unit you have to setup your destination first then go to your favorites and click on the interim stop you want then click Go and then click add as a via point. That will put your via point as a stop before your destination. I can add more than one via point. Hope this helps.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
To use POI's you will need to go extras and open the category of interest and then search. For the POI's to alert you if you are near that POI you will need to add a proximity alert to the POI file based on distance or speed. Look at this thread and open and/or download the attached file, GPS POI.pdf. It will help explain more about POI's. Depending on your GPS model you should be able to select many POI's to create a route. Some Garmin units can save many routes, Other Garmin units can only save one route. Read your Garmin manual it should tell you the specs about the number of routes that be save at one time. Or go to the Gramin web site to get the information about your unit.

k-f-Indiana

Thanks Richard & Linda and Terry H. After a couple days of studying your suggestions and the sites you mentioned, and working with my GPS, I think I have it figured out. Ready for the road!

GETnBYE

Will the download work for any garmin or just the bigger/more expensive ones? I have a Nuvi 205. I looked at the site, but could not find info on which units the downloads were for.
Thanks in Advance for any info.
Nita