towing with a Chev suburban 3/4 ton

banjoppd

I am looking at a 30 FQBS empty weight around 7300 lbs. I will tow with a Chev Suburban 2004 6.0L with a 3.73 rear end auto matic tranny. Can my tow vehilce handle this trailer it is well over 30 feet.

I usually have about 3 adults and 3 kids with me in the tow vehicle, so lets say 1100 lbs in passenger weight.

Then may be 750 to 1000 lbs in gear and junk in the trailer.

Thats 9,400 lbs in weight combined.

Am I in my limits or is this too much for my tow vehicle.

Need some feed back.

Ernie & Lettie

First I would find the sticker that is on your truck that tells you gvw of truck, gcvw of truck and whatever you are towing, that will give you a good Idea whats what. Sticker should be on drivers door or door frame. Then I would weigh the truck without the trailer with a full gas tank, then take the trailer and truck and weigh them together. this will give you a lot of info as to if your truck an handle it. good luck.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
To be honest, I believe you will be over your GVRW. The GVRW of the trailer is 10400 and even though you may never reach that your tongue weight will be close to 1000#. Add that to your cargo, fuel and passengers and see where you end up.
There are a couple of North Trails that may fit your needs. NT31QBS or the NT28BRS. Both of these are under 7000# gross weight with about 600# on the tongue.

banjoppd

I went to the tow guide.
2004 Chev Subrban 3.73 rearend 6.0L auto tranny
tow limit: 7900 lbs

With that being said, the 30 FQBS is too heavy

Give me an opinion about the 27 FQBS trail runner

dry weight 6326 lbs hitch weight 751 lbs

length 30'7"

I figure I will carry 500 to 1000 lbs in the trailer with food, bikes, bedding, clothes, dishes, cooking pots, and other junk.

I will usually have 3 to 4 adults each weighing 150 to 200 lbs each and 3 to 4 kids at a max of 100 lbs each. So my tow vehicle may have up to 1200 lbs in passneger weight.

We stay in Texas to camp. We go to the Hill country once a year 2 hours west of San Antonio, Texas but mostly we stay in pretty flat Texas Gulf coast region.