Gel Coat Swirls

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
Hey gang. Just took my 3055RL out for the first trip. Overall it was good. One thing I noticed is that the Gel Coat has swirl marks in it all over the exterior of the trailer. I thought is was just dirt or something at first but it would not wash off. Got to studying a little bit and it looks like buffer burns. I talked to my dealer and they said they would assure me that they didnt wax the unit before I picked it up and I can believe that. Has anyone else seen this. Is it a flaw in the Gel Coat or what?

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
swirls

dont know about the foam brush. My wife had a good idea also. My dealer uses a pressure washer and she thinks they may have washed it and had the pressure too high. If thats the case I am sure they will never admit to it. They are looking into it while they have it for other problems. I am just going to stay on top of it and see what happens. Will keep posted.

Bill Boyd

Swirls in the gel coat

I picked up my 3055 3 weeks ago at Lakeshore RV. Noticed swirls in the gel coat that also looked like buffer marks. The folks at Lakeshore tried a couple of cleaning solutions, but nothing removed the swirls. Dropped by the factory on the way home. They were able to buff most of the swirls out using a buffer with a rubbing compound. Still isn't perfect, but looks much better.

svd

I have a little of this on my front cap. From my limited experience with auto paint, I am fairly sure it can be buffed out. In time, it will disapear anyway after a polishing or two. If you want if fixed now, I would think any reputable body repair facility could take care of it with a buffer and some compound. Good luck!

bowtorc

Just my two cents worth. Caps are buffed when they are released from the mold. This is done to clean them up but care should be exercised when using the buffer. ONLY A LIGHT TOUCH WITH A RANDOM ORBITAL!!! At least,that's the way it used to be done. The sides may be done the same way but I am not sure.

Roger