Toy Hauler, Std, or Auto?

caissiel

I have a Std pulling my BC 3500RL. Hauls great with no heat problems.

Had an Auto GM on a 11K GVW 5th wheel.
Had 2 standard trucks hauling a 5600 GVW 5th Wheel.
I do have 4 x 4 with manual locking front hubs that permits me to have the low range transfer case gearing available.

I would not haul a 5th wheel without the manual hubs with the standards. And definitely not a 2WD truck neither.

Here I am in florida and I am parked on a soft soil area and will need the 4 x 4 to get out of the sand.

PUG

Pug
I drove truck for several years and shifted my last. Dodge, Cummins, 6 speed auto, tow haul, jacobs brake. Yah Yah

skyguy

Another vote for auto, plus a guage for tranny temp!

Also, living in Colorado, I would not be without 4 wheel drive, and a transfer case for low range.

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
I need to be involved in the driving experience not just seated in my arm chair listening to tunes with the cruise control on.
My vote is for the manual. One less thing to overheat.

Hey plumberdude, did you really convert a 2500 to a 1 ton dually?

2010augusta

AUTO, unless you are getting a 13 speed in a MDT.:D

I love the manual hubs and lever shifted T-case on the F-450. Low-range reverse makes backing into up-hill sites a breeze.

nhunter

They can make an automatic to move a 100,000lb truck down the highway without overheating, they can put one in a one ton too. Auto baby!

CrazyScotsman

I have been an OTR driver since 1978 Europe then over here in US, in all these years I swore by a manual gearbox, that was till I bought my Volvo 780 with the" ishift" semi automated gearbox ( no clutch peddle ) I am sold on it, especially sitting in rush hour traffic in San francisco, NYC, LA.
I never thought I would see the day when I said , " Give me an automatic ".

trvlrerik

Personally I prefer a manual for heavy towing, but the wife and lack of a clutch budget now have me in an automatic with manual hubs. I do have to admit it makes rolling hill trips easy.

Jellystone

Auto is the way to go. Higher tow rating and one less hassle to worry about shifting gears in heavy traffic etc. Besides, it's 2010, not 1950-the auto has proved dependable over the years since its creation.