Frame and spring problems

sunriverman

I am helping a friend who is considering a new Sundance 2900 or 3100 fifth wheel. He is concerned after reading all the posts re frame failures and springs, spring hangers, and bolt problems. Have there been many of these problems with the Sundance models mentioned or are these units lighter and seems to experience less failures. Aprreciate the repsonse.

sandman

:cool::DI HAVE 2007 29 rk have never had a problem with it and i check them every trip but there still doing good but as you say i think the problem is on the heavyer units they are just maxed out on there springs and then alot of people tend to tow too fast take care.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Some of the problems could be caused by the wonderfully smooth and maintained interstates we have in our country. Bob:D

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
We have 2007 3200ES and have had no problems with the frame or springs.
I think it was the heavier coaches. Randy

Netem

I have an 08 2900 MK with 6000 lb axles and have had no problems with it. I would go with the up grade to 6000lb axles as I did to be safe.

MC9

Our 2900MK with the 6000# axles and 16" tire upgrade to 3520# each gives you a 2000# "cushion" that is a lot. Bigger tires make them tow better also. I like em.

Sundance_kid

Never had these problems, but do have the upgraded axles. I don't think its so much a certain brand as a lot of trailers share Lippert frames.

buckeyebob

i feel good about my 2900mk with 6k axles and 16 inch tires.gotta admit it makes me nervous reading these frame, spring posts.no problems yet knock on wood.bucketebob

lwmcguir

Given the lighter frames and heavier loads on them, it is advisable to reduce the shock and fatigue factors with air suspension or rubber, whichever you like. Same goes for the hitch. This will minimize your potential problems down the road. Remember that campers are not designed to be pulled long distances. If they were they wouldn't have the Mickey Mouse hangers and spring set ups they come out with. If you are a long distance traveler you better get out the check book and start upgrading or you will be sitting along side the road.