Michelin Tires

Dave

Traveling Two
Has anyone replaced their factory installed Sundance Mission ST235/80R16 tires with the Michelin XPS RIBS LT235/85R16 E's? The Michelins are approximately 1/2" larger in diameter bringing the tires closer together. Have you any issue with the two tires rubbing against each other? Thanks and be safe

Two Hands

I put four new Michelin tires on my 2007 Big Horn 3055RL. However, I called Heartland before the purchase and gave them the specification (size) on the proposed tires. The rep said the change in size would be fine, and it has been. However, I could no longer use the adjustable Bal Chocks that worked so well because the spacing between the new tires was too small. I tried a lever type, but they were still too big so I ended up using my old plastic chocks. I really like the Michelins.

jimtoo

I put four new Michelin tires on my 2007 Big Horn 3055RL. However, I called Heartland before the purchase and gave them the specification (size) on the proposed tires. The rep said the change in size would be fine, and it has been. However, I could no longer use the adjustable Bal Chocks that worked so well because the spacing between the new tires was too small. I tried a lever type, but they were still too big so I ended up using my old plastic chocks. I really like the Michelins.

Exactly the same!:D Except I did not call the factory.

Jim M

trvlrerik

I changed to the Michelins as an "insurance policy" for my peace of mind. I had just under 10k on my china bombs, the Michelin dealer gave me $60 each for the old tire trade-ins. I have less than 1k on the new tires and I cannot tell any major difference in towing with the slightly taller tire. I do have a greater peace of mind, that is a huge difference.

Netem

Dave , I'm not sure we have the clearance that the Big Horns have as our trailers come standard with 15 in tires and we've up graded to 16 in. I would have to go out and measure but my tires are pretty close now. I have been thinking maybe 245 75 16 LT about the same diameter but they may be too wide.

Dave

Traveling Two
mnkamper...I've got about 8,000 miles on the factory Mission tires and they show no signs of excessive wear or failure but like trvlrerik I'd have better peace of mind knowing I've got good tires going down the road.

Netem...I'm currently working out of town so at this time I can't measure the distance between the tires. I will probably call the factory before I invest in Michelins.

Be careful out there!!

Rmcgrath53

Hi Dave I replaced my mission bombs from my sundance with the LT235/85R16 the distance between the 2 tires has decressed to about 1 inch between. I havent had an issue with that yet. Before I drove off from the dealer lot I checked by backing and turning and it did not seem to cause any problem. the fender is real close so I may have to cut the inside lip if it bounces up and hits the fender lip.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I have about 17000 miles on my Mission tiers. So far so good. I will be changing then this fall, as the years are mounting up. (close to 5 years old)

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
I have a 3200ES Sundance with 16" tires on it now. I have approximately 2 1/2" between the tires. They came on it when purchased new. So far I have had no problems. I am in the process of changing to a new tire just a ssoon as I can make up my mind on which one. You should have no problems. My tire is and ST235-85-16R Unicorn Brand. I will be changing them this month.

Two Hands

I just read the March, 2010, edition of Trailer Life. There is a complaint in the RV Action Line section in which the writer states that he has had 20 Carlisle tires fail on his trailer. Part of the replay is, "Fool me once? Shame on me. Fool me 20 times. There must be something wrong with the manufacturer." My first thought was why would you continue buying tires that kept going bad. Then I thought about my own case. I had put four Goodyears, not the 614s, on my Chevrolet 2500HD and they were defective, yet I bought four more and so far one of those was defective and I replaced it with another Goodyear. I think it is now shame on me.