What tires to buy

It is getting time to buy tires for my BH 3370. I have been reviewing all of the brands and types and keep coming back to the Michelin XPS LT 235/85/R16 E and the Goodyear G614's. I would like to hear from anybody and everybody on this matter because it is one of the most important saftey matters on the 5er. I do have a Pressure Pro and only drive at 65 MPH sometimes creeping up to 70 when necessary. Also the best places to buy. I know Costco carries the Michelins.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I dont think you could go wrong with either tire. I put Michelins on mine. The stability between the original tires and the Michelins is huge. Of course I did go up in the size.

Clearance was an issue with the shocks so I removed them. The load carrying capacity was the biggest change. 3415 per tire which gives me a large saftey margin.

jwb187

I replaced my Mission tires when they finally started their demise, had one blow out from the inside so no damage. I and a local tire dealer both have Big Horn 3055's and he located 8 Maxxim (sp) tires for us. I don't have many miles on them as yet but I have read somewhere on the internet about trailer tires that they were very good. They were rather pricy although I did trade in 4 fairly good Missions, payed somewhere around 140 per tire...fwiw jwb.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Tires

I have a 2008 3200ES Sundance with the 6k axles, and 16" tires. The one's that are on it now are Unicorn and have shown no problems. I am getting ready to do some serious camping and want to change the tires. I have heard of 3 types, Michelin Ribs, G614, and the Maxxim. On the tires that I have now 235-85-16R I only have about 2 1/2" between them I need recommendations. Will the aluminium wheels that I have now hold the pressure? They are stock wheels. Also I have an F250 4X4 06 model with a 6.0 Diesel I want to replace the tires on it also. Looking for Recommendations on it also. Thanks in Advance for your help.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have a 2008 3200ES Sundance with the 6k axles, and 16" tires. The one's that are on it now are Unicorn and have shown no problems. I am getting ready to do some serious camping and want to change the tires. I have heard of 3 types, Michelin Ribs, G614, and the Maxxim. On the tires that I have now 235-85-16R I only have about 2 1/2" between them I need recommendations. Will the aluminium wheels that I have now hold the pressure? They are stock wheels. Also I have an F250 4X4 06 model with a 6.0 Diesel I want to replace the tires on it also. Looking for Recommendations on it also. Thanks in Advance for your help.

My stock Sundance wheels were stamped 60 psi max., the tires said 65 psi max. Remove a wheel and look near the inside of the rim for the rating. I bought new wheels and Maxxis ST (80psi) tires 235-80-16 and have over 4000 lbs buffer zone @ my units max. loaded weight.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have had Michelins on my 3370RL since I bought it in January 2009. No problems with them and certainly no worries.

lwmcguir

I prefer the 14 ply or heavier no matter what brand you purchase. Then run them near maximum pressure unless you are really light.

caissiel

There are 2 types of rating on the 8 bolt rims. Make sure you do have the 110Lbs rims if you are going to put G Class tires and fill them to max pressure.

Thanks everyone, I went with the Goodyear G614's. The dealer has the 5er and he checked the rims and they will handle the 110 lbs of air. Thanks again

aatauses

Re: Tires

Imcclure, I still have my missions on our 5er, however did replace our tires on our tv. We have a chev 3500 dually and replaced with Michelin LTX---have had them on for about 2 months and really like them.
al

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Goodyear 614 have 14 plies, and are super strong. I keep thinking if I had E rated tires when our rear spring broke, if I would be buried near Wild Bill Hickok. No brainer in my mind as long as your aluminum rims can handle them. The ride on G rated tires is also smoother and safer.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Larry did you find a 'speed rating' on the Goodyear G 614? (i never could) I think its 65mph or at a max of maybe 75mph, so theirs not much buffer zone there. For my unit i felt safer with the Maxxis with a 93mph speed rating.

lmcclure

I just got an email from Heartland responding to a question that I had asked about tires, basically I wanted to know the PSI rating on the stock wheels that I have on a Sundance 3200ES. The wheel is rated at 3042 lbs. but there is no PSI rating on it. My question was I want to get rid of the Unicorn Express that are on them now and I was looking at Goodyear G614's but they are rated at 110 PSI. Next Step is Maxxis and they are rated at 80 PSI the same as what is on them now. Can't put Michelin XPS Ribs as they are 32" in Diameter and I only have 2" clearance with the Unicorn's between the wheels and the unicorn's are 30.7". Their response was that the PSI is not relevant , that the 3042 Max. is the most important. Does this sound right?

lwmcguir

I just got an email from Heartland responding to a question that I had asked about tires, basically I wanted to know the PSI rating on the stock wheels that I have on a Sundance 3200ES. The wheel is rated at 3042 lbs. but there is no PSI rating on it. My question was I want to get rid of the Unicorn Express that are on them now and I was looking at Goodyear G614's but they are rated at 110 PSI. Next Step is Maxxis and they are rated at 80 PSI the same as what is on them now. Can't put Michelin XPS Ribs as they are 32" in Diameter and I only have 2" clearance with the Unicorn's between the wheels and the unicorn's are 30.7". Their response was that the PSI is not relevant , that the 3042 Max. is the most important. Does this sound right?

The wheels are required by law to have the psig rating stamped inside. You may have to look closely to find it.

lmcclure

I took one of the wheels off and there is no PSI rating on it. I guess that the Chinese that made the wheels are not into our laws. i bought Maxxis ST235/80R16 rated at 80 PSI for them. I also bought the Michelin LTX MS/2 275/70R18 for the truck. Now I am going to order the TST Pressure monitor. I am done now come on warm weather.