Forum software upgrade / New Look

linuxkidd

Hello All,
As Jim mentioned in his last email update to everyone, the makers of the software on which this forum runs have made a major revision. In effort to keep up with new security fixes as they come along, refresh the look / feel of the Heartland Owners Forum and for better flexibility and features... we will be upgrading the forum and all surrounding software.

This will be a staged roll out. I will begin the roll out tonight, however some of the items will not be available immediately.

Features that will be upgraded and made available at a later time:

• Heartland Owners Gallery
  • Heartland Owners Position

While we recognize this is an inconvenience, we have unfortunately come to the point where we need to move over to the new software in order to proceed with the remaining modifications. Please accept our apology on any inconvenience this may cause. We hope that you'll enjoy the new software and have made every effort to keep the wear-in period to be short.

I anticipate having the remaining tools back online within 1 week.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss the new software and make any recommendations. We are always open to constructive criticism. We hope that you'll understand that some requests will be actionable, some will not, and some will just take some time.

Thanks for your understanding,
LK

2010augusta

Is there a way to make the "reply to thread" button take you to the advanced reply form instead to the quick reply form?

2010augusta

I am having trouble with replying. I get an error message and then reload the page and my post appears.

What happend to the portal page?

jimtoo

Slow down Alan,,,, give Michael a chance to get the thing back up and running....LK is great and his salary is out of this world...but he cannot work miracles...(although to me he does)...changing things around must take a little time. Hopefully the Portal page will reappear when he is finished...

Although I don't understand what you want,,,the quick reply is at the bottom of the thread and if you click on the (Reply to Thread) button it takes you to the advanced reply area.

Well,,, on edit,,, I just tried it again... and it did not take me to the Advanced reply.... Oh well,,, he will fix it in due time.... :D

Darn,,,, he does not even have the smiley stuff working....most important thing and it's not working....Geessshhh.... ;)

WOOPS,,,,, say the magic word,,, and they started working... :D

OK,,,, I'll shut up ,,, for now...

linuxkidd

Is there a way to make the "reply to thread" button take you to the advanced reply form instead to the quick reply form?
This should be possible, but may take some time to bubble to the top of the todo list.

I am having trouble with replying. I get an error message and then reload the page and my post appears.
I'm exploring that issue presently.

What happend to the portal page?
The portal has been replaced with the new vBulletin CMS system. It is accessed via the Home button in the menu above. We hope to duplicate the parts of the original portal that people utilized. If something is missing, please let us know.

We are tracking all of the posts here to work this software into shape. Please feel free to continue to post all observations and requests. Keep in mind it may not be implemented quickly.

Thanks,
LK

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
WOW - what a look, except I think the print is a little small. Will have to learn all over again how to use the system.

sunriverman

Will the new format eventaully allow users to look at posts by category as in the past, ie modifcations, frame and suspension, etc?
Keep up the good work.
rod

irvin56

looks good. will cruise around and try out things. if i find something i will let you know. THANKS

AND the adventure begins.

irvin56

Looks good now if it will post???

Second try.

like trying to walk all over again

Will take it one step at a time

THANKS.

Jellystone

So far I like the new look. I'll have to fool around with it some more to check out ease of navigating site. Keep up the good work.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So, hitting Reply to Thread does put you in the Quick Reply box. But I notice that now you can add photos, etc. here. Before, I don't think we could. This has a nice look to it, but as mentioned, it will take some time to get accustomed to it. Most changes do.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
One part of the portal page I miss is the list of who is online and which of my friends are online at that time. I don't know if you can ever get that back, and you have more important things to worry about, but add it to the "work on it eventually" list please.

Thanks,
Kristy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It is a fresh new look and I think once we all figure out the little in's and out's of the whole shebang it will be just fine. I already found out that the quick reply access is to click on the "reply" link at the lower right corner of the most recent and maybe even any, post. It even gives the option to go advanced. Now to browse around a bit.

porthole

Retired
Is it just me or do the thread email notices not take you to the newest post since last viewed?

A feature I see with a SMF forum I am on all the time is when viewing "new since last visit" threads there is a "new" button that will take me to the 1st new post since my last visit, e.g. a thread with 8 pages has a new comment on page 8 #4.

So the software designers do a bunch of changes & upgrades and you get to do a lot of work tweaking things. The life of a computer whiz.................

Ray LeTourneau

Will the new format eventaully allow users to look at posts by category as in the past, ie modifcations, frame and suspension, etc?
Keep up the good work.
rod
sunriverman, if I understand your question, just go to the top of the page and click on the "Forum" tab. All of the catagories appear just like they used to. It's going to take us all a while to learn to navigate the new look. Have a little patience and just browse around and play.

Ray LeTourneau

Quick question, where do you go now to view active topics. Maybe i'm just overlooking it. Thanks
I have a similar question. Previously, under the quick links tab there was an option for viewing the posts for the last 24 hours. if we responded to a post, it would immediately show in that area. It was an area I went to right after signing in so I could see all posts for the last 24 hours.