Oregon 101 Road

CRLYHDS

We have a 32 ft Elkridge 5th wheeler. We are planning a trip for this spring or summer along the Oregon coast. What the road like on 101 for a 5th wheeler? Thanks for any advice.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
A beautiful trip up the Oregon coast. It is a good road, winding, especially when overlooking the pacific ocean. We have traveled that same highway with our 38 foot Grand Canyon several times. You shouldn't have any problems. Enjoy the trip.

loafer

Dan the road is good a little narrow up thru Redwoods area also if you are travelling north of Eureka we came around the corner and almost ran into a tour bus stopped on the side of the road (sort of ). They were partially blocking road and tourists all over taking pictures of Elk that were grazing along roadside. If traveling north which we did last september you are on the wrong side of the road for all the pulloffs ( viewpoints) to see all the oceanside sites . South of Lincoln city there are 2 great state park campgrounds which are excellent .
You will have an excellent trip all the way up the Oregon coast Enjoy
Regards Bill

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Debbi and I are going on the same road for the 2nd time this summer, Hannah, and it's awesome but slow in places as you will go thru many beach towns. Northern CA is a little bumpy in places on the 101, so keep your eyes out, around the Redwoods and Humboldt. You should also stop in Calistoga and Napa Valley on the way. Have a little wine and crackers and cheese. LOL Looks like u guys are going strong. Debbi and I are going to Camping World sometime in the next 2 weeks if you still need stuff. Let us know.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
My wife & I have been talking about this trip for several years and just haven't made it yet. Great information coming in and we'll be monitoring this thread for additional info.../Doug

Two Hands

Hopefully you are aware that the 101 becomes a surface street, as opposed to a freeway, in San Francisco. The CEO/Navigator and I towed a 25' travel trailer northbound on the 101 through San Francisco and across the Golden Gate Bridge. It was scary because of the heavy traffic and narrow lanes. There is no way we would take the Big Horn through there. Find a route to avoid that area and reconnect with the 101 just north of the Golden Gate.

It should be a wonderful trip. Because it is 2 lane, you must watch out for the people that stop in the middle of the road to look at the whales, Elk and the ocean. Have fun and be careful, it will be injoyable and beautiful.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
Too, be sure and pay attention to the weather. Heavy rain in the higher elevations just east of 101 will cause some mud and debris to wash across the road. Very beautiful drive, just be careful and take your time. If you are really adventurous, take hwy 20 from Willits, Ca over to Ft Bragg, Ca and take hwy 1 north for awhile. It rejoins 101 at Leggett,ca. It is right on the ocean and wonderful scenery. Best wishes and God bless ya with travel Mercy, Al & Dee Weaver

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
A couple of things. Al, I was advised by the CHP to stay off highway 1 in rv's near Legett because of the bumpy roads that need repair.

Also, Hannah, I hope you aren't planning to take the 101 all the way in CA. I think you mean taking the 101 in OR and upper nor cal. Your best bet is to take the 5 north or the 99. Please clarify your trip plans.
'

CRLYHDS

Yes Larry I meant 101 in Northern California and Oregon. Not sure when we are going yet probably this summer. Death Valley in March for sure, with a nice pull thru site.

DougLynne

We are just about to leave on the Oregon Coast/N. Calif. trip. I had planned on taking the 101 all thru Oregon and 1 in California. In reading this thread, I'm assuming it isn't wise to take 1 and maybe not even the 101 as far as San Francisco. Could someone clarify for me, much appreciated..../Doug

Manzan

We travel 101 frequently and only problem in Oregon is there are some steep headlands to cross over. Much of it is two lane with truck lanes on the hills. Heading south this time of year, the wind will be mostly from the north west so easier towing. I definitely would not tow a trailer on 1. Even in a car you are looking at your own taillights. And there will be someone pushing you every inch of he way. Other than that, 1 is beautiful. If you are going south of San Francisco, go around, not through unless you are at ease towing in a lot of traffic, and even then, avoid rush hour. It is a wonderful trip.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
HI If you PM me I will give you all the info, we have made the Astoria WA to SF CA trip many times with units that were from 26ft to 40 ft.We presently tow a Landmark and just returned from 101 in Oregon after 4 weeks there. You do not need to go thru the heart of SF or cross the GATE. ON the way to Carmel we stopped at Peteluma KOA (35 miles out of SF) then took an early start. All camp grounds along the route are not created equal, we have been going the 101 route since 1990. I can tell you one thing for certain, plan to stop alot for pictures and plan to travel both ways as there is spectacular scenery that you miss going one way versus another.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Do not go on Highway 1. It's narrow and curvey. We did it years ago in a Minnie Winnie, what a crazy road and well traveled. It would be a gas in a little sports car though.

We have been doing that trip down the Oregon coast for 35 years. Every year! Even longer for me, been going there since I was a kid.

101 in the Hebo area, that is south of Tillamook, you might be asking...."Are you sure we are still on 101!" it feels and looks like a little secondary road winding through the dairy farms and small towns.
There are some pretty steep grades here and there as well. The Sea Lion Cave area. Also after you leave Manzanita heading north.
It is such a fantastic drive and there are many many, I say many, turn outs and overlooks.

This time of year it is extremely doubtful you will be able to get into any State parks, the majority of them are on the reservation system and booked solid. There are a few non reservation ones, as soon as you get into Oregon, try to find a State Park brochure. (oh duh, just look it up on the internent) LOL

There is a great tourist information place at Battle Rock Wayside. Oh there is a non reservaton State Park at Cape Blanco in southern Oregon, it is breathtaking there. And further up Washburn State park, right on 101 not far north of The Sea Lion caves, it's non reservation as well.

I love the rocky southern coast, from Brookings to Port Orford is just spectacular. From about Bandon on up to Florence is mostly sand dunes. Then from Yachats (my all time favorite spot) on up to Depoe Bay (the worlds smallest harbor) and that is where they filmed the scene in On Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest when McMurphy takes them all out deep sea fishing. Ok where was I. Not too long after Depoe Bay you'll head inland a bit and come to Tillamook, a dairy farming community with a cheese factory that seems to be a big hot spot for tourists. Also Tillamook boasts a really great airplane museum in an old WWII blimp hanger. It's HUGE.
After you leave Tillamook, when you go through the Wheeler area, the road is really choppy, you know bumps ahead, some places the road is sinking...it is a wild ride if you go to fast.

It's so busy in the Summer along the Oregon coast, but there are quite a few RV parks along with the State and County parks. Florence has a really great county park, Harbor Vista Park, it is really a gem.

Enjoy yourselves, I want to go too! We just spent 2 weeks at the end of May down there.

Last edited:

DougLynne

Thanks foks, you've given me great information, we have been thinking and planning this trip for quite a while but timing just wasn't there. This is the year..../Doug

shovelguy

101 in Oregon is a fine road to travel, as long as you are not in a hurry. Lots of places to stop along the way and beautiful views. Have a great trip. D&J

shelsay

Hi--

If you have the chance to stop in Florence, give us a call. If you PM me, I will give you our contact information. We have had some great weather lately. We went crabbing on Friday and came home with 19 really nice ones. We live close to Harbor Vista (a Lane County Park), and it will likely have week day vacancies. It has very nice sites with privacy, electricity, and water (and a dump station).

As others have said 101 through all of Oregon is only two lanes but usually not a lot of traffic. You will see some really beautiful country.

Have a great trip.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Hi--If you have the chance to stop in Florence, give us a call. If you PM me, I will give you our contact information. We have had some great weather lately. We went crabbing on Friday and came home with 19 really nice ones. We live close to Harbor Vista (a Lane County Park), and it will likely have week day vacancies. It has very nice sites with privacy, electricity, and water (and a dump station).As others have said 101 through all of Oregon is only two lanes but usually not a lot of traffic. You will see some really beautiful country.Have a great trip.
Harbor Vista is one of our very favorite parks on the entire Oregon coast, it is just so nice and clean and the spots are so private and level and long. We love it! We just happened on it a few years ago, we always like to check out parks we haven't been to and it is just lovely. We spend time on the Oregon coast Spring, Fall and Winter because you can just wander around and always find a campsite someplace in a nice park. We hate making reservations, so it works out perfectly.19 crabs! nice catch.