New Cheby

bill40

The Auto week article had a 400,000 figure on the new engine. Big Yes on the front bumper and a plus on the GVWR. Bet the top of the line 3500 CC DRW is pushing 60 grand.:confused:

wyleyrabbit

Looks like some exciting changes on the 2011 Chevy. I particularly like the factory exhaust brake system, the larger brakes, the larger wheels, bigger axles, and the list goes on.

Given that my truck is exactly a year old, I won't be upgrading to the 2011 anytime soon. Especially since I've barely even had the engine temperature up to spec (I only have about 9,500 km on the truck so far).

Chris

Northern Virginia
Looks like a towing machine! Mine is two years old so I won't be upgrading anytime soon either.

Northern Virginia
Finally a 36 gallon fuel tank across the line. One article I read said the 3500 would be available in a DRW standard box, but the GM site doesn't list it.

The GM site http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/news.html

Lead in article is about the 75 year old Suburban

2011 P/U page
http://media.gm.com/content/media/u.../en/2010/Feb/10chicago/0210_chevy_silveradoHD

And this picture of the DRW sure looks like a standard box too.
X11AR_CT005.jpg

View attachment 6888

Last edited:

caissiel

We in the north have bad feelings about the box frames, they fill with salt and dirt and break prematurely.
A few 1/2 tons here have had failures due to corrosions of the box steel frames.
Now we are talking old trucks now not new ones for sure.

Northern Virginia
You could be right. I kinda thought my truck, a standard box (6' 6" bed), looks like the picture. Look at the tire well (mine is 30"), based on that measurement, it looks like about 24" in front of and behind the tire well, which would give you a 6'6" bed. When I went out and looked in my truck bed, it looked like that picture. Thats the only reason I thought the picture was of a standard box. I guess time will tell.

Northern Virginia
This is for the new models. As of now they don't make a 3500 standard box. The article in the OP list a new 3500 with a standard box but the confusion is whether they will make a 3500 standard box dually. Maybe I'm wishing too hard. There was a rumor on Diesel Place that they were. We'll see.

Northern Virginia
I think you are right. I went to Government Motor's web site and the capacity chart only list a dually long box for the 2011.

porthole

Retired
Here is another unlisted improvement, at least it appears to be.

Up until now all the Duramax's had a restriction in the left side manifold. This was a holdover from pre GM use of the engine (think industrial trucks).

BD Performance was the only player that I know that made a replacement parts for this and it was usually done as a performance enhancer. I replaced the manifold on my truck.

The two pictures of the the manifold on the engine were taken off the new announcement.

Attachments

• 2011_Duramax_manifold_00.jpg
    2011_Duramax_manifold_00.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2011_Duramax_manifold_04.jpg
    2011_Duramax_manifold_04.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 2011_Duramax_manifold_03.jpg
    2011_Duramax_manifold_03.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2011_Duramax_manifold_05.jpg
    2011_Duramax_manifold_05.jpg