snow load

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Does anyone know what the allowable snow load on the roof of the heartland products. At present with the big snow storm, there is over 36 inches on the roof and growing. I will have to drag the snow blower to the roof soon. It is unbelieveable!

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
Hey Jim, I wish I knew we have the same problem here. Maybe someone from Heatland will chime in.

Mike

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looked it up, light fluffy snow can weigh around 7 lb. per cubic foot. The average weight is around 15 lb. per cu. ft. Drifted and compacted snow can weight 20 or more lb. per cu.ft.

So, if you've got 36" of "average" weight snow piled up on your roof, you could be looking at something like 45 lbs. per sq. ft. load on the roof, or more, depending on how wet it is. That's in the order of 14000 pounds up there. I'd start brooming it off, real careful like.

dieselsweetheart

JimG we are in the midst of a blizzard with 40 mph winds here...if DH gets up on the BH with a broom he will get blown off. And with camping season just a few months off, I don't want to chance him not being able to drive us to camp!!! :)

Smokeyfl

I had layers of snow and ice on my roof about 16" deep. I cleaned it off yesterday before the current storm started. The vent covers become very brittle when cold. I cracked the edge on one, but not enough to leak. Took me about 4 hours. We have about 12" of new snow as of now that started out as sleet and freezing rain. I slept much better last night!

lwmcguir

Looked it up, light fluffy snow can weigh around 7 lb. per cubic foot. The average weight is around 15 lb. per cu. ft. Drifted and compacted snow can weight 20 or more lb. per cu.ft.

So, if you've got 36" of "average" weight snow piled up on your roof, you could be looking at something like 45 lbs. per sq. ft. load on the roof, or more, depending on how wet it is. That's in the order of 14000 pounds up there. I'd start brooming it off, real careful like.

Sure want to check your springs after an over loading the suspension due to the extra weight.

GETnBYE

I know it is a very serious situation, but I bet that would make for some great photos. Be careful getting it off the top of the camper.
Nita

lwmcguir

The normal design for most structures is 30 pounds per square foot. When you go higher the cost goes up. If the snow is wet you are sure pushing the envelope.

caissiel

I had snow load all the time on my RV's and once in a while I will go and shovel it off.
The worst part of the load is when the snow gets wet and all the load gets on your roof cover.
If its cold and frozen it will just create its own structure.
The roof cover will bend at 30Lbs per square foot if its only 3/8" and at 24" center. Here we demand 1/2" at 24" centers.
When I shovel the roof I will only use a plastic shovel, with no end steel strips, and be very carefull not to hit the plastic parts.
That includes the vent covers, A/C cover, vents and specialy the rubber roof. Better to leave a bit of snow then to clean to the rubber.

bill40

We were lucky the wind took the major part off the roof, but put it into the driveway. The old snowblower is getting a workout this year. Working on our fifth shear pin. Now they are talking about another storm next week. I guess the lake will be full this year.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Same here. Around 45" and counting (in 6 days). Only around 3" on the roof of the North Trail, but there are ski slope size drifts all around it. I might have it dug out in time for the PA Rally in June. Lets HOPE!!

Hamshog

Hey All,

Heartlands website has a page that shows an Exterra or other small SUV(I think it's an SUV) on the roof of one of their 5ver's. Probably 1000#'s /sq.ft. with just the tires on the roof structure. Of course the total weight may take a toll on the springs or tires.. :O

Regards, Hamshog

Rrloren

I'm hoping to head South next week if the weather will allow and I have about 10 - 12" on the roof. I am not going up there to shovel it off but I'm thinking about turning on the heat and allow a warm interior to radiant thru and melt it off. Anybody ever done that?

caissiel

There is R28 of insulation, it will take a week to have the heat to melt the snow off. Might as well wait for the sun to melt it off.
I tried to melt the earth under a heated plastic cover the other day and in one day I was able to dig 1" in the frozen ground

RubiconAg

I'm hoping to head South next week if the weather will allow and I have about 10 - 12" on the roof. I am not going up there to shovel it off but I'm thinking about turning on the heat and allow a warm interior to radiant thru and melt it off. Anybody ever done that?

Not only would this take forever but you have ice daming issues before it ever melted off. You have to remeber that areas like the vent covers that are thin will let the heat out an melt the snow. Once it gets cold enough that melt will turn to ice around the vent cover thus trapping any melt water in an essential bowl around the vent. I have had ours fill up past the vent and start leaking in the unit. Also, the freeze/thaw can be disasterous to trailers. When the snow melts during the day the water can get into every little crevas. When it gets cold at night this water will freeze and can pop rivets, screws sealants, joints, etc. Now will all this said, when our trailer has its cover on I will typically let about 24" of Tahoe snow pile on the trailer before brooming it off with a ladder against the side of the trailer.

caissiel

I agree the ladder procedure is the safe way.
I never had any damage with snow load for the 10 years we left our trailer outside in the winter.
The water usualy will run off to the side and just create a tin level of ice on the roof when refreezing.
It will create a support for the additional load of snow above the ice.
I never had more then 1/4" of ice but up to a foot of hard snow, that will also create its own support structure.
We never put heat in the unit.
We use to clean the roof for our trip south every spring, waited for a sunny day and shovelled it off, if needed.
I would not, ever leave with hard packed snow on the unit that might blow off once on the road. To dangerous for the following trafic.

lhetsler

An additional thought is the weight of that snow on the springs and axles. On average snow weighs 15 lbs per cubic foot. I use xtra jacks under mine when stored in the winter in Ohio.