Jackson Hole, WY to Custer State Park, SD

CRLYHDS

Need some more advice from about routes. I've always wanted to go to Custer State Park, SD to see all the wildlife. A RV'er guide in Alaska told me it was one of his favorite parks for wildlife. We would take 15 north from San Diego then turn east to go to Jackson Hole. I was wondering if we should stick on the major freeways, 25 & 90, to get to Custer State Park from Jackson Hole or take the more direct road 18 and 86. Thanks as always for the great advice

tomj

I have visited Custer state park but came in on I90 from Minnesota. The park is wonderful. My wife and two grandsons will be there in our Sundance in late July and spend a week on our way to Yellowstone. We leave Norfolk VA on 13 July. I too am curious about the roads. We plan to arrive from the south side of Custer. Enjoy your time there.

PUG

Pug
You can make it fine either way. We stayed at an RV park just a few miles to the South of the park. It was new and not well established yet but ok. Can't remember the name of it but it was a part of a ranch just off the road a mile. Just to the North of the park is a little town that starts with H (as you can tell the memory is gone) that has a nice museum of old equipment and school houses etc. that was pretty interesting.

rjr6150

Hi Guys
I think your meaning 18/85 coming from Wyoming or if coming up from Nebraska it would be 18/385. We have been coming up here for the last 6 years over July 4th from NE Colorado and use 18/385 coming into the south side of the park and staying at the Rafter J Bar just north of Custer.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Hannah, when we go the S.Dakota, we take I-80 through Wyoming. I-25 should take you to Denver but lots of climbing. Call Pat, she can tell you the easy ways to go. We travel to the Dakota's every year...dont cha know. Bob:D

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hannah - we were in Grand Teton/Yellowstone this past May, coming from Hill City, SD and camping in Cody, traveling all of the western tourist areas in the daytime. The campground people in Hill City (Rafter J Bar Ranch) suggested that we stay on Hwy 16 going thru Custer, SD all the way into Cody and it was great. Wonderful scenery, not much traffic and a lot better roads than the interstate system. It might have added an hour to the driving time but staying in Hill City, SD and not having to backtrack to get to the interstate system thru Rapid City, it was worth it. You will love the Black Hills, lots to do. Don't stop and feed the burros in Custer State Park, they get a little testy if you don't give them something to eat. We had a brand new truck following a dually thru the park and watched as the burros attacked the dually after the driver wouldn't give them any more food.

Attachments

• DSCN0815.jpg
    DSCN0815.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Want to find the best sights inYellowstone and Jackson (also the Hole) give me a call. I am not a tourist here, I live her and have for over 50 years. I am a member of this site and just want to be given the same assistance somewhere I have never been. Most tourists can't tell you the differance in the terms "Jackson" and "Jackson Hole" I CAN! You can park any sized Rig at my home (electric and water) I just ask fopr the same in return!