Verizon Wireless Internet Set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmorgan37

We had Verizon Wireless in our RV and don't need it anymore. The contract is paid off, so all you would have to do is activate it in your name and pay month to month. I have the USB760, Cradlepoint CTR350 Router, Wilson Trucker Ladder Mount Antenna and Lead in Connector. With the router, you can run two computers at the same time. That's what Sue and I did. It worked perfectly until I discontinued our service this past December. Asking $150. E-mail me at jpmorgan37@gmail.com with any questions.

porthole

Retired
Don't know much about this.

Do you need a USB air card to work with this? I currently have a Verizon wireless card, PCI type.

So does the wireless modem plug into the router then the PCs can use wifi to access it? My current card gets almost the same connection speed I get at home, does this work similar to that?

jpmorgan37

Duane;

I plugged the USB760 into the Router. I connected the lead from the Wilson Trucker into the USB760. Then both computers were able to operate independently from each other and from the Router. Of course, the system had to be programmed and activated through Verizon. The advantage of this is that there won't be any two year commitment required and that has been paid off.

John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Don't know much about this.

Do you need a USB air card to work with this? I currently have a Verizon wireless card, PCI type.

So does the wireless modem plug into the router then the PCs can use wifi to access it? My current card gets almost the same connection speed I get at home, does this work similar to that?
Duane, The Verizon USB modem provides the same as your aircard only it plugs into a USB port on your computer OR certain wireless routers such as the CTR350. The Cradlepoint 350 will only accept a USB modem but it will allow several users in your RV or home, internet access at the same time. The antenna is extremely helpful in increasing the ability to receive and transmit the signal between the router and a cell tower. I have essentially the same set-up with a smaller antenna.

rmchad

Heartland Owner
HI John -- while I don't need your system, I am interested to know where you installed the antenna and ran the cable. I recently purchased a similar system from the 3gstore and am getting ready to install it.

Thanks for the advice!

jbeletti

Chad,

Not sure how John did his, but I did this for mine:

1. Used Wilson Cellular Trucker antenna with spring base
  2. Replaced supplied screws for antenna bracket with longer ones in stainless steel. Also replaced lock washers and nuts with stainless steel
  3. Mounted antenna on RV ladder on right side vertical just below the top radius
  4. Drilled 1/2" hole in rear cap and routed antenna cable and connector into rear cap area and out into overhead cabinet above rear window
  5. Sealed hole in rear cap around cable with white RTV silicone rubber and installed small aluminum clam shell vent (from West Marine - thanks mrcomer) using 3 tiny stainless steel sheet metal screws. Sealed inside vent with more white RTV silicone rubber
  6. Mounted flush, dual DC receptacle inside upper cabinet above rear window and wired it into the rear cap sconce light circuit
  7. Mounted Wilson Amplifier and Cradle Point Router with Velcro to side wall of upper cabinet
It's a great setup and its all now on my second RV with it. I did replace the antenna for the new RV. Any low hanging tree leaves and small branches break those antenna radials with off :eek: Already broke one off the new antenna.

Jim

PS: Some pics in the this blog post: //heartlandowners.org/entry.php/5-Jim-s-Excellent-Adventure-Part-2

All equipment was from the 3G Store

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Jim
How did you determine how and where to drill a ½” hole in the rear cap and get into the interior cabinet to make the connections?
Did you do this yourself or have someone at the factory do it for you?
I am intrested in installing my Router, Amplifier, and antennas so don't have to set it up each time I move.

Thanks
BC

jbeletti

Bob,

I first determined the location I wanted to mount the dual DC receptacle. That dictated where I cut a rectangular hole in the back of my cabinet. I put the receptacle fairly high (but not to the top) so the plugs in it would not impede my stored items in the cabinet.

Once that hole was cut, it was a pretty simple process to dig through the fiberglass insulation to find the power wire that feeds the reading light in that corner of the rear cap.

In terms of where to drill the antenna hold, I drilled it inline with the outside vertical leg of the ladder. I did this for aesthetic reasons. The allowed me to tie-wrap the coax down the ladder vertical to just below the level of the hole to be drilled. This ensures water runs towards the ladder, not the hole in the cap. Height-wise, I drilled the hole for the coax at a height that was a balance of near the height of the rectangular hole inside the cabinet for the dual DC receptacle and still being at a point on the cap that seemed to make sense to drill a hole in.

On the previous coach, Terry H and I did all the work. On this coach, I supplied the dual DC receptacle to the plant and they installed that only. I did the rest (antenna, hole, router, amplifier).

Good luck Bob.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.