May Change to Ford

navyAZ1

Hi All, just curious to hear from all of you Ford Owners? We are thinking of up grading to a heavier truck and maybe later to a Big Horn 3670 and I'm not comfortable with pulling that with our Chevy 2500HD Duramax due to the weight. So, I thought we would check out the 2010 Ford F450 they state with their towing package the F450 will tow 24,600 lbs. I am also considering staying with Chevy and going to a 3500 dually but their towing capacity is only 15,900 but I'm thinking if I'm going to spend the money I'd rather have a little extra towing capacity if possible and not be maxxed out on my limits.

My question is how have your Ford's been doing I know I'm going to get the normal response of "oh I love mine" but I'm curious about quality of the drive train and such? I want to hear the "good" and the "bad".

Thanks for your input hope to see y'all at the Rally.;)

Yianni

I'm thinking about a 450 also, but I'll wait a couple of years and see how the new Scorpion does.

caissiel

The new 2011 GM's also show big improvements on the capacities with a new heavier frame and brakes. They are finely catching up with the Ford Trucks.

2010augusta

We have an older F-450 and it does great. It has had to have the instrument panel and a power steering hose replaced. The wider front axle allows for much better turning, and the 19.5 wheel allow for commercial highway tires that run many miles and very quite.

I just saw yesterday that the 2011 Chevy 3500 HD was rated to tow a 20,000# fifth wheel.

with any of the newer diesels you have to worry about DPF and UREA injection systems, so a gently used 450/550 might be a good choice.

Tom of Ypsi

We have a 2008 F-450 with the 4:30 rear end and have had no troubles at all. The fuel mileage could be better 13-14 around town and freeway not towing and between 9-11 depending on terrain. I travel between 60-62 mph, no need to rush anymore. I would do like Alan said and look for a gently used 450 - 550 or equivilant.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
If you really like your Duramax, why not consider the Chevy C4500...have had ours since July 07, without any problems, and the Allison tranny is bullet proof!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I have owed Fords for at least 40 years and yes they are good but yes they are bad. Transmissions are the weak point of Ford, Chevy has them hands down......Dodge fails to a point of being funny. The powerstroke simply is the industry standard of deisels!!! Cummins is second and I would not give you a dime for a japan made duramax!!!!!!! Our longest lasting powerstroke is 435,000 miles and still going, as a matter of fact of all the powerstrokes ever made (excluding those in major crashes) 95% are still on the road. I really don't even blink at the rusting out dodges....they are the humor of the deisel groups. Less than 45% of the Cummins engines built for the pickup even remain in service, would not even consider one! The transmissions of the Ford, well be prepared to replace it a little more than the rest. I think that the longest mile powerstoke is 1.2 Million.....not to sure how many times rebuilt! Just an opinion...............don't yell at me!!!!!!!
PS My powerstroke will pull the guts out of a Cummins or a Duramax..................GUARANTEED!

Jellystone

Rumaco, I have to disagree with you on the Dodge issue & the Cummins issue. I'm not posted up on Idaho's diesel inventory, but down south there are plenty of older Dodge trucks still on the road running fine. I see more Dodge heavy duty trucks used in RV and commercial applications than any other (w/Ford running a close 2nd). GM makes a quality truck as well (my uncle has a 2500 diesel that has never been in the shop for repair-12 yrs old-tows smaller 5th wheel with it). Ford makes a superb heavy duty that is true, but the powerstroke is not the king of kings that you say. Cummins diesels are used in many segments of the market, powering gen sets (large & small), marine propulsion (towboats,tugboats,supply vessels,etc.), and also heavy construction(excavators,back hoes,dozers,front end loader,etc), and DODGE TRUCKS. In todays economic environment we ALL need to support the BIG 3 before we lose them totally to overseas interests-regardless of opinion on unions. Buy American and Support American Business.

buckeyebob

thanks on the buy american statement!!!i receyved an email from gm today announcing a brand new tougher silverado.20,000 lbs tow capacity new frame etc,2011 model.check it out,buckeyebob

caissiel

We have to realize that there are different models of 5.9 Cummins out there. the Mexican cheap engine and the industrial units that can run for up to 20,000 hrs without a rebuild.
So are the International engines that have been around for ages.
The GM Duramax was build to keep up with the Ford Powerstroke and so far the Ford has been the heavy duty hauler that it is designed to do.
No truck is without faults and I don't favour one over the other.
But in compitition the Cummins has the edge because of the available sleeved engines that can take lots of abuse and less parts to break.
We had cummins in our fleet and I was the supervisor taking care of them, Industrials that is. We had more problem with everything around them then the engines themselves.
The newer Ford trannies are bullet proof and I have been reading that they are no concerns for anyone adding programers up to 600HP.
I am not sure I could say the same about the other 2, from what I have heard and read.

Softballdad

I have a 3670 and tow with a F350 DRW. It tows like a dream and I can only imagine how a F450 would do. Good luck.. Buy what makes you happy and keeps your load safe in tow.

bigbird272

I have a 6litre Ford F 350, 2005. Never again! Had the engine out for oil leaks. Broke down in Arizona last year. In the shop right now due to more oil leaks. May look at the new Scorpion when it becomes available but never another 6 litre. I am leaning towards Dodge but then they have had problems as well with the last engine. I know someone who is on his 3rd Allison transmission in his Duramax. So what does one do? I guess take your best guess, perhaps get an extended warranty and hope for the best. I cannot do it for 2 more years. My engine warranty is up in May, keeping my fingers crossed for sure. Towing my new 3580 Bignhorn will make it work.

Rick

nscaler2

I will never own another F O R D. At 15000 miles power steering hose was replaced due to a leak. At 28000 miles I lost the torque converter which shelled metal parts into the transmission. New converter and rebuilt transmission was ford's cure. At 40000 miles the EGR valve stuck on it and caused it to drive worse, empty, than when the trailer was hooked to it. The day after they replaced the EGR valve the EGR valve cooler sprung a leak allowing coolant into the combustion process and the white smoke that goes with it. At this point (50000 miles) I am just waiting for the next shoe to drop. I don't know what I would replace it with. They all have their problems. Furthermore I can't afford to do it anyway. This thing and my 3055RL were supposed to be our last hurrah. They are both heavily flawed.

boatdoc

I have owed Fords for at least 40 years and yes they are good but yes they are bad. Transmissions are the weak point of Ford, Chevy has them hands down......Dodge fails to a point of being funny. The powerstroke simply is the industry standard of deisels!!! Cummins is second and I would not give you a dime for a japan made duramax!!!!!!! Our longest lasting powerstroke is 435,000 miles and still going, as a matter of fact of all the powerstrokes ever made (excluding those in major crashes) 95% are still on the road. I really don't even blink at the rusting out dodges....they are the humor of the deisel groups. Less than 45% of the Cummins engines built for the pickup even remain in service, would not even consider one! The transmissions of the Ford, well be prepared to replace it a little more than the rest. I think that the longest mile powerstoke is 1.2 Million.....not to sure how many times rebuilt! Just an opinion...............don't yell at me!!!!!!!
PS My powerstroke will pull the guts out of a Cummins or a Duramax..................GUARANTEED!

Give me a break!!!! Have you been drinking that RUM???? What rock have you been living under the past 40 years. How much stock do you own with Ford??? GEEEEEZ.

Netem

Since it's introduction for the 2001 model year the GM Duramax 6.6L diesel V-8 has been one of the most highly regarded truck diesels on the market. The engines were jointly developed with Isuzu Motors and built in a joint-venture plant in Dayton, Ohio. The DMAX plant has just produced the one millionth Duramax V-8. The 6.6L is four valve per cylinder V-8 with common rail injection and the 2007 version also has a particulate filter so that it can meet new emission standards. The engine is used in the heavy duty versions of the Siverado/Sierra pick up trucks, the Express/Savanna vans and also the larger medium duty Chevy Kodiak/GMC Topkick trucks

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I hate to differ with you, but prior to owning our current Duramax, which by the way has been flawless, we owned a 1998 Dodge Cummins. Hands down, that dodge was the best vehicle we ever owned. We would still have it today, if we had a smaller 5er! Only once in more than ten years did that truck ever give us a problem, it turn out to just be a weak relay! The Cummins engine was a fantastic work horse that never failed, or even stumbled. The transmission also never gave us a problem, even though I know it's Dodge's weak point.

In comparison, I've got many friends who have had major issues with their Fords, to the point they gotten rid of them, because they were tired of breaking down constantly, especially the 6.0...what a joke!

I would venture to guess that I'm certainly not the only with who takes exception to your over zealous remarks....JMHO!

Rmcgrath53

Are you responding about the 7.3 Powerstroke?

Delaine and Lindy

I will not debate which is best thats the choice a individual has to make. From my hands on experience with GM Trucks, which is all I have ever onwned until I bought the Freightliner. Since GM came on line with Duramax there have been some issues, however GM stayed with the Duramax and have only made improvements and changes due to Government intervention forcing them to change what a Diesel engine does. I have never had a issue with the Duramax/Allison and I have always pulled heavy and in most cases several hundred lbs over the GCWR and never had a problem with the performance.

As we all know Ford has had some issues and have changed Diesel engines several times and will bring out the new Diesel this year. Why all the problems I don't know who is the blame. I for sure hope they get it right this time.

As for the Cummins Diesel its a known fact they build a great Diesel. I have been to several Cummins Diesel engine plants that build the Cummins. I have seen the design inside and out and its well built. A tip of the hat to Dodge/Ram or what they are called for staying with the Cummins. There have been other issues within the drive train which has been fixed I believe.

But its my opinion that if I was buying a 1 ton Truck today I would buy a GM 3500HD, DRWs. With the improvements GM is doing it will be a winner. And you want have any issues with the Duramax/Allision because its a proven Combo. The only changes are upgrades to a Truck that has been proven.

As for which Diesel engine is best, well I could say its a Mercedes I-6 but that would just be my opinion and I know for sure others will have theirs, just by reading what has already been posted. So we can just agree to disagree. For the OP its a choice which you can only make, and I'm sure you will make a good decision. I read several different forums every day and for sure I know you will never change a mans mind about his Truck. Just be happy with your choice and I will be happy for you. Keep in mind you can have to much 5th wheel but never to much Truck. GBY...